Gareth Southgate

Day

5 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Given the different nature of international management I don't know why Gareth doesn't rotate his coaching team the same way he does the team. 

Steve Holland might be great at training slow methodical simple passing football but we need some different ideas and input for varying tactics. 

Graeme Jones was in the coaching team for the Euros 

I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if it has been mentioned.

But, if public opinion had been listened to, Sir Alf before the 66 World Cup would have been sacked, as would Bobby Robson and El Tel before their tournament (s).

Ramsay got lucky with the injury to a great striker in Greaves, and then stuck to his guns

Robson got lucky twice in 86. With the injury to Brian Robson and then the sending off of Ray Wilkins forcing him to play Lineker and Beardsley together. 

And Venables wasn't even planning on taking Gascoigne until right at the last minute.

I've no clue if Southgate is the right man, but changing him now would be ridiculous.

I don’t fancy us in Qatar, purely for the heat factor. But it must be said our group is easy and anything other than a convincing qualification will get the alarm bells ringing. 

I feel Southgate has had a good crack at the job and must be applauded for the feel good factor of 18 and 21 but sadly I think his time may be up. 

Unfortunately the FA would need Goliath size balls to sack him now so we’re gonna have to go to the WC and hope for the best. 

On 18/06/2022 at 21:24, TomTom92 said:

I don’t fancy us in Qatar, purely for the heat factor. But it must be said our group is easy and anything other than a convincing qualification will get the alarm bells ringing. 

I feel Southgate has had a good crack at the job and must be applauded for the feel good factor of 18 and 21 but sadly I think his time may be up. 

Unfortunately the FA would need Goliath size balls to sack him now so we’re gonna have to go to the WC and hope for the best. 

If we don't show some cohesion and significant performance improvement in the last warm up games, then I foresee a repeat of 2010. Lacklustre performances, scraping through a weak group, then being mullered by the first decent knockout team we face. 

I think Southgate has done a great job with England. The international team had become toxic, with a dire record in knockout tournaments. Any decent players we had were mostly useless for England and managers with great club records were unable to get them to play together.

Southgate has moulded lots of talented players into a hardworking and inspirational squad. The English mentality is often that our players are incredible and we should be battering foreign teams cos we invented football.

Anyone who thinks Southgate should take the handbrake fully off and go for it hasn't watched much international football before. With hardly any time together, creating attacking strategies is difficult. We also don't have the sort of midfielders who can control games, like Modric, Xavi type of players.

France have got some incredible talent. They don't play very exciting football. They won the last world cup. You need to be organised, take your chances and have some luck.

The Premier League is also a very tough competition and many of the players were giving it their all well into May. Nations League games were like friendlies this time around. I'm hoping/expecting a November World Cup will really help us.