Tipping - what are your thoughts

2 hours ago, angieram said:

They flipping are! But my hairdresser isn't a partner so she's not the one raking in the profit.

I wished she'd go mobile then I wouldn't have to pay salon prices and she'dearn more, but she never will.

I do work for a lady who used to work for a hairdresser in Belper for over 20 years, they shut leaving the employed stylists redundant. Property owner thought he had a big sale on the property that has since fell through. she’s an older lady who’s clientele were of a similar age, (not saying the blue rinse brigade) she’s now mobile.  I can forward you here number if you did want a mobile service. 
(no tip required for this recommendation, by I always expect 10%)

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

Paying tips by cash goes down well with waiting staff. Just adding it to the bill you don’t know where the money goes. 

Not always - the son of one of our friends worked in a very popular local restauarant - waiting staff were expected to hand over all tips to the woman in charge who would decide at the end of the evening how much got shared between them - occassionally she/the restauarant would keep the lot.....

3 hours ago, Norman said:

Do you tip the checkout workers or the bin men or anyone else on close to the minimum wage? 

They collect your plates and ask if you want sauces. Why you'd tip that is beyond me. It's an American pile of crap that comes from them not paying a proper wage to waiting staff over there. 

I gave my postie £20 at Christmas because he's brilliant and I appreciate the fact that he's friendly and super helpful. I've never met our bin men to be fair because we have to leave it on the road and I've never met them. I have had to clear up burst bags on occasionas, but not sure whose fault that was.

But if they did come and fetched it and gave great service and were friendly, I probably would tip them once a year.

I also gave the guy who patched up my car when I nearly pulled the back bumper off when I got it stuck on a low wall. I couldn't believe he only charged me £40 so I gave him £50 and told him to keep the change. 

I always tip tradespeople if they are pleasant and do a good job, but I'd make an exception for @boycie obviously.

But you're right, I don't tip cashiers at the Supermarket and would feel weird doing so.

And fwiw, it's not an American thing, it's an English thing that Americans have got slightly carried away with.

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Paying tips by cash goes down well with waiting staff. Just adding it to the bill you don’t know where the money goes. 

I don't think i've not seen it over here yet, although I'm sure it's available. But in the US almost every bill has the option to add the tip as a separate item so you know the servers will get it.

My guess is that by doing it that way the owner can also show he's hitting minimum hourly wage and he won't be taxed on it.

We used to go into The Cheesecake Factory in Orlando almost every Sunday in the autumn. I'd go and have a beer and watch the early games of (American) football whilst Mrs Badger went shopping. I got to be friendly with two of the regular bar staff. Both were on almost $100k, and that was a decade or more ago. Butt hey worked their nuts off for it and made it a super pleasurable experience. I never tipped them less than 20%. 

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

This. I dropped the Steve Buscemi clip in there as it succinctly sums up the attitudes to tipping. 

I'd refuse to go to a restaurant where they had a service charge added on out of principle.

I've raised 2 letters of complaints about the service from my postman over the past 3 years so would be addled to then tip them. 

If the service was above and beyond in a restaurant then yes would be inclined to reflect that by giving a tip but not automatically just for effectively doing the job which they are paid to do. 

When I'm on holiday ditto I tipped the tour guide whom showed me round Pompeii recently as I thought he had delivered an extremely informative and interactive session.

More often then not am trying to avoid being ripped off as a tourist never mind voluntarily paying extra for services. Italy was the worst by far closely followed by Thailand.

Avoid this one then?

E47F2B34-9596-4C62-97C4-BF9279FFCF5F.jpeg

I always leave change on holiday. Back here, we ask the staff if they get to keep their tips, if they say no, we don’t tip. 

my friend works at The (Drayton) Manor pub/bar, apparently the tips there are kept by the pub apparently to replace broken glasses and plates etc, which I think is disgusting. Pretty sure some bars claim for broken glasses etc. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Ouch ?

It was nice though, we could technically not have paid anything as we had the £99 virgin voucher, a gift from our son that included lunch with a glass of champagne. All the waiters were like in the Mr creosote sketch, the first one asked if we would like water ( but read it in a French accent ?)didn’t realise it going to cost me 6quid +vat. Then of course one glass of bubbly is not going to last the whole meal so dauntingly asked for the wine list, now you don’t want to look like a cheapskate so I went for the third cheapest which added another £58+vat . Then I was asked by another John Cleese impersonator if we would like to upgrade our main to the chefs specialty, so being in Gordon Ramsey’s gaffe you’ve got to have the beef wellington, another £13+vat for a cup of coffee and a pot of tea and I couldn’t eat a another thing. Bogs were nice anorl.monty python GIF by Head Like an Orange

EF0FCBF3-B906-4D5D-B0F4-43D99D217D67.jpeg

Edited by Foreveram

We're in Orlando now and all bills have the tips neatly worked out for you at the bottom. 

Why is it allowed that a restaurant can take tips? That's shouldn't be a thing. 

We've been tipping 20% here but at home we don't really tip unless it's deserved. But I'd do that with builders, deliveries and anything if I feel they've done any more than their basic job. 

It's weird leaving a tip in a place where so often we seem to be left sat waiting for long periods. 

1 hour 30 getting breakfast the other day. 20 mins actually eating. 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That scene is only there to show what an absolute c the Steve Buschemi character is. So despicable that the other low-lifes consider him beneath contempt.

That's because he refuses to cough up a dollar when someone else has paid for his breakfast because he refuses to tip on principle. 

If you strip out a lot of his hyperbole he's still got valid points about tipping. 

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

We're in Orlando now and all bills have the tips neatly worked out for you at the bottom. 

Why is it allowed that a restaurant can take tips? That's shouldn't be a thing. 

We've been tipping 20% here but at home we don't really tip unless it's deserved. But I'd do that with builders, deliveries and anything if I feel they've done any more than their basic job. 

It's weird leaving a tip in a place where so often we seem to be left sat waiting for long periods. 

1 hour 30 getting breakfast the other day. 20 mins actually eating. 

One of my mates went on a cruise just before Covid around the Mediterranean.

He told me he had been offered by the tour company to either to pay for the tips as an upfront extra to the price for the cruise or pay the tips on the ship on an ongoing basis (which was apparently the more expensive option).

I was actually flabbergasted for once as it seemed like total exploitation. 

If the service is good, I'll round up or add a few quid. Aim at about 10%, but I'm not getting the calculator out. If anything annoys me or is less than I expect, not a chance. They're on minimum wage, not a pittance.