Aden Flint. Loves chips, joined Stoke.

Day

1 hour ago, whiteroseram said:

Kind of torn on Flint (unless Davies leaves, in which case absolutely 100%).

If Davies is still around then is he replacing Cashin? Definitely an upgrade but would be a shame to drop down any youngsters who've performed in the championship. If we keep the bulk of this squad together, we should do well in league 1 whilst giving the youngsters game time 

I imagine Curtis won’t play every game again. So you may find he and flint are in and out alongside cashin. 

6 hours ago, Ramos said:

I imagine Curtis won’t play every game again. So you may find he and flint are in and out alongside cashin. 

We could always play 3 centre half’s and not bother with the defensive midfielder bit - it all depends who is here the day before we start the league season 

9 hours ago, whiteroseram said:

Kind of torn on Flint (unless Davies leaves, in which case absolutely 100%).

If Davies is still around then is he replacing Cashin? Definitely an upgrade but would be a shame to drop down any youngsters who've performed in the championship. If we keep the bulk of this squad together, we should do well in league 1 whilst giving the youngsters game time 

Do we know Cashin is staying? Or stearman? 

15 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Heading to Stoke, I’ve been told (sorry) really hope it’s not true myself

Wouldn't be a surprise. I'd assume they're offloading some of their numerous CBs so it would make sense for both parties. 

1 hour ago, dajstrawb said:

Heading to Stoke, I’ve been told (sorry) really hope it’s not true myself

This is something we will have to get used to and quick.

If its true Rooney has lined up Flint and Barkhuizen and both are about to sign for other clubs, there needs to be good plan B and C players lined up.

For me, trying to sign players from higher up is the wrong way to go, we will always be pipped to the signings of good players. 

We need to adopt the methods of Peterborough and Brentford (when they were league 1), try and sign the best non league and league 2 players, enhanced with the odd loan from higher up.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We need to adopt the methods of Peterborough and Brentford (when they were league 1), try and sign the best non league and league 2 players, enhanced with the odd loan from higher up.

I'd generally agree with that, but I can understand why we might have been interested. It stands to reason that any Championship club is going to be able to offer higher wages for a couple of seasons probably, regardless of any other factors, so any Champ player has to want to sign for the Rooney project rather than the financial package.

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'd generally agree with that, but I can understand why we might have been interested. It stands to reason that any Championship club is going to be able to offer higher wages for a couple of seasons probably, regardless of any other factors, so any Champ player has to want to sign for the Rooney project rather than the financial package.

I agree, I think barkhuizen and flint would both have been great.

Unfortunately, it's the same transfer philosophy we have had for years, chase players who will have lots of suitors, driving up wage demands and resulting in many missed targets.

Brentford rarely get into a transfer tug of war, their signings go under the radar.

Clubs are usually encouraged to follow up their interest in signing a player by their agent.

I don’t believe many clubs now embark on mindless attempts to sign players out of their reach. 

If we have been in talks with Flint and Barkhuizen, I’m sure it’s because they were open to the idea of joining us.

No club will ever have a 100% record of signing their number 1 targets.

We could lose targets to other League 1 clubs, money, location, game time, the manager, every player is different And will all have their own boxes that need to be ticked when deciding which club to join.

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I agree, I think barkhuizen and flint would both have been great.

Unfortunately, it's the same transfer philosophy we have had for years, chase players who will have lots of suitors, driving up wage demands and resulting in many missed targets.

Brentford rarely get into a transfer tug of war, their signings go under the radar.

TBF, it should be said we don't know how much interest we've actually shown, and since we probably can't go higher than £225,000 pa still, we aren't going to be driving up wages because we can't!

Let's see what sort of names come up after the t/o is completed, but I'm hoping for more from L1 and below than from above.

2 hours ago, Jram said:

Didn’t the Bristol City Chairman say Stoke are going to be busting FFP this year? He named 5 or 6 clubs that are going to be touch and go 

Stoke posted a loss of £80 mill and then a loss of £50 mill didnt they?

9 hours ago, Crewton said:

TBF, it should be said we don't know how much interest we've actually shown, and since we probably can't go higher than £225,000 pa still, we aren't going to be driving up wages because we can't!

Let's see what sort of names come up after the t/o is completed, but I'm hoping for more from L1 and below than from above.

Our wage restriction is total wage bill, not individual player wages.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our wage restriction is total wage bill, not individual player wages.

Even if there isn't any ongoing embargo restrictions, with Bielek, Knight and Sibley's wages perhaps contributing £2-2.5m gross cost already, with 20 other players required to fill out the squad, what's the average wage we can afford do you think? 

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Even if there isn't any ongoing embargo restrictions, with Bielek, Knight and Sibley's wages perhaps contributing £2-2.5m gross cost already, with 20 other players required to fill out the squad, what's the average wage we can afford do you think? 

Turnover next season is likely to be between £10-12m for ourselves, at least based on broad projections. 

I guess you would have to consider a wage bill of around £8-10m to be realistic, which rings roughly true with the £8k a week that Kirchner mentioned in his tweet. I wouldn’t expect any fees for anyone, simply out of contract players and loan players.

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Turnover next season is likely to be between £10-12m for ourselves, at least based on broad projections. 

I guess you would have to consider a wage bill of around £8-10m to be realistic, which rings roughly true with the £8k a week that Kirchner mentioned in his tweet. I wouldn’t expect any fees for anyone, simply out of contract players and loan players.

I'd love to know how you've estimated a maximum revenue of £12m. To give that figure some context, that's the equivalent to no TV money (not far off being true), then halving the rest of our normal Champipmship season income.