Pre Season Friendlies 22/23

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

No room for sentiment for me and, apart from a potential money spinner, I don’t see the point of a game against a lower half team from one of the European leagues.

I’d prefer we played against teams that are going to help prepare us for life in league one. Maybe one of the teams promoted to the championship or one that that just missed out in the play offs from league 2.

Final game at home against Sunderland, Rotherham or Wigan. Not as glamorous as some might like but, depending on what teams we both put out, a decent test against an upper end league 1 team. Given we would have been an average championship team without the points deduction, such a game may also be attractive to one of those three teams. Although, again, the team we would put out might not bare much resemblance to the one that played last season.

I'd play all games away. Iron out why things hadn't been working out for us on the road.

Local warm-up matches - Alfreton, Chesterfield, Notts County

Lower L1 quality - loser of Mansfield and Port Vale

Top L1 quality - Wigan 

Pre-season finale - Forest

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'd play all games away. Iron out why things hadn't been working out for us on the road.

Top L1 quality - Wigan 

I thought the pre-season finale was supposed to be a 'glamour' match?

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

I thought the pre-season finale was supposed to be a 'glamour' match?

And play who? Man Utd U23s? What benefit is that to us as we won't even get a half full Pride Park

We're in L1 next season, so we'll play sides who will help us prepare for the season. The best sides we'll face will be Championship quality.

49 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And play who? Man Utd U23s? What benefit is that to us as we won't even get a half full Pride Park

We're in L1 next season, so we'll play sides who will help us prepare for the season. The best sides we'll face will be Championship quality.

Half the premiership then ?

I wouldn't want us to play Forest when we're still bedding in what may be a completely new squad, or at the very least a significantly different one. For all the possible boost of beating them, it's just another opportunity for them to gloat over our status and for their snide element to injure some of our key players pre-season in what would be a massive grudge match. I'd rather wait until we get the chance to play them in a competitive match further down the line when the position of both teams could be very different, and forget the BC Trophy.

We played Stoke pre-season the last time we got promoted and got our best player nobbled - I don;t want that to happen again.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Lighten up

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Top L1 quality - Wigan 

I'd agree with all of those and, thinking about it, also play them all away except perhaps Forest.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if we skipped the BC trophy this year especially if there was any risk it might disrupt our pre-season prep.

Wouldn't be surprised if the  BC trophy was played during the World Cup, they won't have league games and I suspect will look to keep the rest of their squad match fit.

Edited by Rich84
Spelling

31 minutes ago, angieram said:

But we will have!

I know, but I doubt we'll have games every midweek, just don't think it will be organised as a pre season game.

I am curious though, what will happen if a LG1 team has 3 players at the WC, I think 3 is the limit to postpone games. Not saying we will have 3

19 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

I know, but I doubt we'll have games every midweek, just don't think it will be organised as a pre season game.

I am curious though, what will happen if a LG1 team has 3 players at the WC, I think 3 is the limit to postpone games. Not saying we will have 3

If it's anybody but Derby, they'll be allowed to postpone. We'll just have to carry on and play under 18s if necessary. ??‍♀️

Colchester United got a game called off for one NZ international and two African under 16s last season. No idea how they got away with that. Surprisingly, they had a bit of an injury crisis and were supposed to be playing FGR league leaders at that time. ?‍♀️

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the  BC trophy was played during the World Cup, they won't have league games and I suspect will look to keep the rest of their squad match fit.

Not a chance of that happening - unless they paid us ?????

9 hours ago, Rich84 said:

I think we'll be on sky a few times during the world cup break, especially if we're challenging towards the top of the league.