World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

2 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

We are ranked fifth. Behind Argentina. And Belgium who are out. So I repeat I don't know why we are playing France in the quarters. 

Surely it's just the luck of the draw. It's not like Wimbledon where the draw can be engineered.

I guess they could organise the draw so that the top ranked team would end up playing the 8th ranked team (if results went according to rankings) but I prefer an element of randomness.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm surprised that the commentators mikes worked by the end of the France game, there was so much cream on them from whenever Mbappe touched the ball

Yeah, it's been the same for every single "star" player. 

Even if they lose the ball it's a lucky escape for the other team. And of course we still pretend Ronaldo is a free kick master. 

They were so happy for Lewandowski to get a deserved goal. Why? He did a stupid run up penalty and got to retake it. Poland were horrible to watch and he was just as disappointing as the rest of them. 

Brazil have had it easy. The hype around them and of course cult leader Neymar has been so ott. Everyone has let them play. The few times Switzerland and Serbia didn't fall over their own feet coming forward then Brazil looked ordinary.

I think if they were to face a top European side they'd be gone. Including the ones that have gone out like Belgium and Germany. 

24 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Brazil have had it easy. The hype around them and of course cult leader Neymar has been so ott. Everyone has let them play. The few times Switzerland and Serbia didn't fall over their own feet coming forward then Brazil looked ordinary.

I think if they were to face a top European side they'd be gone. Including the ones that have gone out like Belgium and Germany. 

Brazil beat teams before they make it out on the pitch. The opposition buy into the hype and either freeze or do something preposterous. Or in the case of South Korea, both.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think in Belgium’s case a golden generation is fair. I think between 96 and 2012 they didn’t even qualify for any major tournaments from memory. And then suddenly between 2014 and 2020 they had a generation of players who were capable of winning

Fair enough, for Belguim it was a relitavely golden generation. For us, it was perhaps slightly better on paper than the previous one and behind today's team.

397CD097-8397-4850-80F1-B15309E43D41.thumb.png.d4ecdc0ffa7d71ddfea82d3a1deaba2d.png

This was posted on the BBC regarding penalties at World Cups. Green scored, purple missed.

If you draw an imaginary horizontal line half way up the goal, you can see the ratio of scored to missed is higher when aiming high.

I’ve always wondered why players don’t aim high when taking penalties. Yeah you could hit it over or hit the bar, but they are pretty a guaranteed goal when you hit the target.

Compare that to low shots and look how many are saved.  

I think it also shows how most keepers are right handed and you have a better chance if you hit the ball to their left.

397CD097-8397-4850-80F1-B15309E43D41.thumb.png.d4ecdc0ffa7d71ddfea82d3a1deaba2d.png

This was posted on the BBC regarding penalties at World Cups. Green scored, purple missed.

If you draw an imaginary horizontal line half way up the goal, you can see the ratio of scored to missed is higher when aiming high.

I’ve always wondered why players don’t aim high when taking penalties. Yeah you could hit it over or hit the bar, but they are pretty a guaranteed goal when you hit the target.

Where is that pen that Zidane dinked and which hit the bar and went in? 

37 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I think it also shows how most keepers are right handed and you have a better chance if you hit the ball to their left.

Always thought that as well. Japan’s penalties earlier were awful. 

Nani was another who always scored high penalties. Gave the keeper no chance.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Agree it should be blasted high (and into the corner). Into the "unsaveable zone". I've posted this on here before: