Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

28 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Bizarrely, I was under the impression the façade was listed as a perfect example of brutalism architecture not long ago so not sure what bits they can get rid off.  Bet they put up something even worse.  Something made of copper that will be dribbling green rust everywhere in 10 years most likely.

https://www.derby.gov.uk/news/2023/january/derby-secures-levelling-up-funding-to-progress-plans-for-assembly-rooms-site/

This article provides an image of what is being proposed to replace the current building.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

19 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Bizarrely, I was under the impression the façade was listed as a perfect example of brutalism architecture not long ago so not sure what bits they can get rid off.  Bet they put up something even worse.  Something made of copper that will be dribbling green rust everywhere in 10 years most likely.

It didn't get Listed. Regardless of the outside, which for me, is a monstrous carbuncle, it's the inside that damns the Assembly Rooms. It wasn't fit for purpose 20 years ago, let alone now. There's no point reopening it if agents won't book it for their clients. In a previous job I once showed a developer and architect round it. Their comment was it's an architect's dream and a developer's nightmare. Everything is reinforced concrete, with all servicing embedded. It makes it almost impossible to repurpose, even aside from the complications from the fire.

All political parties are guilty of dragging out the Assembly Rooms saga for different reasons. There seems to be relative consensus now that it needs to be replaced, and there is a willing tenant in the University to operate it. If it doesn't happen this time then it never will.

1 hour ago, TomBustler1884 said:

It didn't get Listed. Regardless of the outside, which for me, is a monstrous carbuncle, it's the inside that damns the Assembly Rooms. It wasn't fit for purpose 20 years ago, let alone now. There's no point reopening it if agents won't book it for their clients. In a previous job I once showed a developer and architect round it. Their comment was it's an architect's dream and a developer's nightmare. Everything is reinforced concrete, with all servicing embedded. It makes it almost impossible to repurpose, even aside from the complications from the fire.

All political parties are guilty of dragging out the Assembly Rooms saga for different reasons. There seems to be relative consensus now that it needs to be replaced, and there is a willing tenant in the University to operate it. If it doesn't happen this time then it never will.

I look forward to the day Derby is obliterated to provide accommodation for the University and it's campus accommodation.  It needs to go but worth noting that acoustic wise,  it was always very highly regarded as a venue so and whatever replaces it will be cheap and last 10 years.  

Where I am you never know which side of the road the bus is going to turn up at, but you get good visibility both ways so your best bet is standing somewhere in the middle and then making a brisk walk to whichever bus stop you end up needing when you see one coming 

Quite often there are people sat / stood at the stops so you can take it a bit more leisurely.

But sometimes, like today... You stand in the middle, there are people at both stops, the buses are running a bit late so everyone's been in position for over 10 minutes. A bus comes, you make your more leisurely walk toward the stop with someone else waiting aaaaand the t*** who's been stood at the bus stop for over ten minutes doesn't make a move toward the bus and it drives right past.

Said t*** then reveals that, despite waiting at a bus stop for 10+ minutes they're not actually waiting for a bus.

I think, maybe, this is something people do for fun?

On 19/01/2023 at 20:47, Elwood P Dowd said:

https://www.derby.gov.uk/news/2023/january/derby-secures-levelling-up-funding-to-progress-plans-for-assembly-rooms-site/

This article provides an image of what is being proposed to replace the current building.

How is spending twenty million quid on revamping a fire damaged building, going to help with levelling up the country?

Who needs another theatre anyway! They say 60million will be the total so who pays the rest? When (if ) its built will anybody want/afford to go? Even second rate stuff costs a fortune. Just saw that to see a top violinist in Brum costs £165 minimum. Front rows over £300.

I'm getting quite nostalgic for the days of the Derby "hole".

Fill it with water and put paddle boats on it. More profitable.

10 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Who needs another theatre anyway! They say 60million will be the total so who pays the rest? When (if ) its built will anybody want/afford to go? Even second rate stuff costs a fortune. Just saw that to see a top violinist in Brum costs £165 minimum. Front rows over £300.

Fillystyne!

11 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I'd go with the world's biggest 'Hook-a-duck'.

We have a decent small theatre but hardly any decent bands or comedians play in Derby. 

We need a 2-3000 seater venue. You can have offer stuff happening in the same building. Then people come into Derby fir that and spend money at bars and restaurants.

You need an attraction for other things to feed off though.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Out of interest who has actually been to a theatre to see a play and what did it cost?

My wife goes to the Theatre quite a bit, but a venue is not all about plays and musicals. Built right it can be used for conferences and lectures, and other entertainment uses such as music, comedy, etc.  I don’t know Derby very well, but it seems to me it could benefit from a decent hub. I will bow to @sage when he says

We need a 2-3000 seater venue. You can have offer stuff happening in the same building. Then people come into Derby for that and spend money at bars and restaurants. You need an attraction for other things to feed off though.

23 hours ago, sage said:

We have a decent small theatre but hardly any decent bands or comedians play in Derby. 

We need a 2-3000 seater venue. You can have offer stuff happening in the same building. Then people come into Derby fir that and spend money at bars and restaurants.

Currently under construction at Becketwell. To be run and booked by ASG, biggest venue operators in the world. If you want an idea on potential performances, check out Hull Bonus Arena.

On 22/01/2023 at 10:13, sage said:

the Velodrome was supposed to be an option for this kinda stuff too.