Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

On 16/02/2023 at 11:51, FindernRam said:

Ally McCoist. I actually love his comments but why oh why does he have to say everything twice, everything twice!

"What a goal! What a goal!" "I have to say that's a booking all day!  That's a booking all day for me!" 

giphy.gif

On 21/02/2023 at 18:44, Rev said:

Pancakes, they can get in the bin.

Literally, when I attempt them. 

Even bought a brand new pan, still no effing joy, as I watch the hot oil vacate the middle and gather at the edges. 

I've not had a decent pancake, or indeed any pancake, since I left home in 1996! 

If anyone responds with how delightful their pancakes where, how they melted in the mouth in a sugary lemony explosion of taste, I've one word for you.

t*****.

Try not using oil, use Fry Spray or whatever it's called. Get the pan really hot, a few squirts of that and a spatula on hand to start loosening the batter when ready and you're away!

Me!  ?
I've annoyed myself... by being too polite/courteous/considerate for my own good!

...Driving in lane 2... fast approaching ambulance from behind (Maybe 60ish in a 40 zone?)... blues and twos... so I indicate in good time, and pull left, into lane 1, leaving a clear, straight, unimpeded route for the ambulance.  I even got a gentle toot from the passing ambulance, which I took to being a thankyou(?)

Yes, there was no other traffic in the immediate vicinity, so the ambulance could have passed me on my near side.
Yes, it was lateish... c. 10:30pm on a week night.
Yes, you get a few ambulances down there, as it was Town-bound Uttoky New Road, with the Derby Royal behind us.

... And yes... I was fully aware lane 1 was a permanent (24/7) Bus Lane, before, during, and after I entered it.

Usually happy to hold my hands up when I do wrong, but for the first time ever, I've decided to politely appeal the fine (£70 from memory?  50% off for a quick payment), and awaiting their response.  If I have to pay, then pay I will, of course.  

Only then will I re-evaluate how I respond to emergency vehicles in future!

?

ETA:

For the record, I was probably in the bus lane for about 30 seconds max, at a reduced speed of c. 25-30mph (in a 40mph zone) and gained absolutely no advantage to myself, whatsoever.

I do admit, I have no idea what the law says in this situation, and am appealing to the Councils better nature, rather than a point of law!  

Edited by Mucker1884

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Me!  ?
I've annoyed myself... by being too polite/courteous/considerate for my own good!

...Driving in lane 2... fast approaching ambulance from behind (Maybe 60ish in a 40 zone?)... blues and twos... so I indicate in good time, and pull left, into lane 1, leaving a clear, straight, unimpeded route for the ambulance.  I even got a gentle toot from the passing ambulance, which I took to being a thankyou(?)

Yes, there was no other traffic in the immediate vicinity, so the ambulance could have passed me on my near side.
Yes, it was lateish... c. 10:30pm on a week night.
Yes, you get a few ambulances down there, as it was Town-bound Uttoky New Road, with the Derby Royal behind us.

... And yes... I was fully aware lane 1 was a permanent (24/7) Bus Lane, before, during, and after I entered it.

Usually happy to hold my hands up when I do wrong, but for the first time ever, I've decided to politely appeal the fine (£70 from memory?  50% off for a quick payment), and awaiting their response.  If I have to pay, then pay I will, of course.  

Only then will I re-evaluate how I respond to emergency vehicles in future!

?

ETA:

For the record, I was probably in the bus lane for about 30 seconds max, at a reduced speed of c. 25-30mph (in a 40mph zone) and gained absolutely no advantage to myself, whatsoever.

I do admit, I have no idea what the law says in this situation, and am appealing to the Councils better nature, rather than a point of law!  

They will probably reject your appeal , anyone is not allowed to break a law to let an emergency vehicle through. That includes red lights or stopping in hatched areas. My mate was done for going in a bus lane in his lorry for exactly the same reason and still got fined after the appeal 

35 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

They will probably reject your appeal , anyone is not allowed to break a law to let an emergency vehicle through. That includes red lights or stopping in hatched areas. My mate was done for going in a bus lane in his lorry for exactly the same reason and still got fined after the appeal 

Yeah.  A quick read up suggests you're right. 
Two snippets I've read are:
"Officially, you shouldn't enter the bus lane at all. If an emergency vehicle needs to pass, it must find its own way through"

"Please avoid pulling into bus lanes or cycle lanes. The ambulance crew are trained to negotiate traffic and may look to use the bus lane to pass..."

Hey, it is what it is.  If it costs me, then so be it.  Morally, I believed I was "doing the right thing"... and I still do, even now.  But I appreciate "morally" and "legally" don't always go hand in hand.
It may well change my outlook... and reactions... to similar circumstances in the future though.  I'll just have to look upon it as any negative consequences (i.e. ambulances not reaching the patient in time, or fire engines not arriving in time to save that trapped family!) as being on someone else's shoulders, and I'll just have to learn to shrug mine, and leave them to it!  

Not the nicest thought, but law is law, I guess!  

Sports commentators constantly apologizing for use of bad language on live sports events. I watched the final round of the golf yesterday and Tyrell Hatton (surprise, surprise) was effing and jeffing a bit - with the commentator giving it the "we apologize for any language you may have heard there".

Do one of three things: either announce / flash at the beginning that commentary is live and unfiltered, turn off or delay the live feed or just ignore it. You can't get through an evening's television viewing now without hearing the f-bomb dropped so why the need to apologize just because it isn't scripted?

People who spend 20 seconds telling you they can't pronounce a certain (usually quite straightforward) word, during which time they pronounce said word correctly 2-3 times (thus proving that they can in fact pronounce it) but who then don't bother to make the smallest of efforts to remember the correct pronunciation, seemingly proud of the fact, and as such go on to waste 20 seconds of someone else's time when the word next comes up.

Repeat ad nauseam.

Edited by Kokosnuss

On 02/03/2023 at 16:56, Mucker1884 said:

Yeah.  A quick read up suggests you're right. 
Two snippets I've read are:
"Officially, you shouldn't enter the bus lane at all. If an emergency vehicle needs to pass, it must find its own way through"

"Please avoid pulling into bus lanes or cycle lanes. The ambulance crew are trained to negotiate traffic and may look to use the bus lane to pass..."

Hey, it is what it is.  If it costs me, then so be it.  Morally, I believed I was "doing the right thing"... and I still do, even now.  But I appreciate "morally" and "legally" don't always go hand in hand.
It may well change my outlook... and reactions... to similar circumstances in the future though.  I'll just have to look upon it as any negative consequences (i.e. ambulances not reaching the patient in time, or fire engines not arriving in time to save that trapped family!) as being on someone else's shoulders, and I'll just have to learn to shrug mine, and leave them to it!  

Not the nicest thought, but law is law, I guess!  

Honestly, if I got done for that (assume by an automatic camera) and my appeal got rejected, I'd want to burn down the house of whoever came-up with such a stupid law.

47 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Sports commentators constantly apologizing for use of bad language on live sports events. I watched the final round of the golf yesterday and Tyrell Hatton (surprise, surprise) was effing and jeffing a bit - with the commentator giving it the "we apologize for any language you may have heard there".

Do one of three things: either announce / flash at the beginning that commentary is live and unfiltered, turn off or delay the live feed or just ignore it. You can't get through an evening's television viewing now without hearing the f-bomb dropped so why the need to apologize just because it isn't scripted?

He's actually hilarious. Never a dull moment and you kinda know what your getting with him. he's a serious talent even if he does seem to be lurching from class clown to angry golfer every 5 minutes. Not sure if you've seen this but it makes me chuckle...

7 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Honestly, if I got done for that (assume by an automatic camera) and my appeal got rejected, I'd want to burn down the house of whoever came-up with such a stupid law.

It's been there for years...Derby City Council, I worked on Parcel Terrace delivering car parts it's just outside of the Bemrose school on both sides, 30MPH on the Bemrose side, Bus lane on the other side, So easy to get caught in the bus lane as it ends circa 80 yards from the traffic lights and drivers will when wanting to turn left at the lights enter the bus lane...a cash cow like most CCTV in Derby for the Council, Bus stops when dropping off also ?, Clearly positioned for payment for fines.

42 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Absolutely right. It what universe is it better to keep a bus Lane free (presumably when there isn’t even a bus approaching, otherwise it might be dangerous to do so) for the convenience of bus passengers (to avoid their bus potentially being delayed for a few seconds) than move out of the way of an emergency vehicle? I guess the difficulty is avoiding the law breach being abused and therefore the need for you to prove there was an emergency vehicle trying to get through at the time of your transgression.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Absolutely right. It what universe is it better to keep a bus Lane free (presumably when there isn’t even a bus approaching, otherwise it might be dangerous to do so) for the convenience of bus passengers (to avoid their bus potentially being delayed for a few seconds) than move out of the way of an emergency vehicle? I guess the difficulty is avoiding the law breach being abused and therefore the need for you to prove there was an emergency vehicle trying to get through at the time of your transgression.

I thought blue lighters could use the bus lane with impunity so you should stay out of it. The appeal will fail unless (maybe) the ambo is in the same picture that caught you.

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

He's actually hilarious. Never a dull moment and you kinda know what your getting with him. he's a serious talent even if he does seem to be lurching from class clown to angry golfer every 5 minutes. Not sure if you've seen this but it makes me chuckle...

I don't know if a round with Tyrell would be the best four hours of your life or enough to make you quit the game.

11 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I don't know if a round with Tyrell would be the best four hours of your life or enough to make you quit the game.

Depends on which day you picked. Some days you might even get both rolled into one. Never boring though and that's always been golf's issue from my standpoint. Tyrell's as close to Happy Gilmour as golf will entertain. I love how uptight some get over him dropping the occasional f-bomb while they overlook serial cheats and horrible f****** like Patrick Reed. I've even heard folk moan about him wearing hoodies. Fact is he's a seriously talented lad, whatever folk make of him and he's pretty popular among the players.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I thought blue lighters could use the bus lane with impunity so you should stay out of it. The appeal will fail unless (maybe) the ambo is in the same picture that caught you.

Presumably the appeal would fail anyway as, as I understand it, you can't move into the bus lane even to make way for an emergency vehicle. I was just saying that, if this was ever allowed as a defence, you'd still have to prove there was a blue lighter trying to get past.

Bathroom fitters, who having fitted the bathroom some years previous, are engaged in replacing the bath panel on a P-Shaped bath.

No problem, they say, arrive to do the job, remove the lightly damaged panel, snap it in half to make it easier to transport to the tip, then realise the replacement panel is a completely different size. 

Cue a desperate search to find a replacement panel, only to find they don't make them the same size and shape anymore, and even if they did the fitter is heading off to Australia for the next month regardless.

I've now got to replace the bath, both panels and the shower screen, making sure the new bath is at least as big because they've only tiled the floor and walls to suit the old one!

12 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

People who spend 20 seconds telling you they can't pronounce a certain (usually quite straightforward) word, during which time they pronounce said word correctly 2-3 times (thus proving that they can in fact pronounce it) but who then don't bother to make the smallest of efforts to remember the correct pronunciation, seemingly proud of the fact, and as such go on to waste 20 seconds of someone else's time when the word next comes up.

Repeat ad nauseam.

Is that Now-seem, Nors-see-um, or Naw-zee-um?