Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

On 22/08/2022 at 09:05, Chester40 said:

Wow. Already addressed this elsewhere... Emma Hayes has the most annoying voice ever. I mute the tv if she is on, her monotonous, booming completely bugs the hell out of me.

Now Laura Woods, she's decent and her voice is lovely too!

PaulaRadcliffehasoneofthemostboringmonotonousvoicesimaginableandjustdronesonandonandonandonfortheentirelengthofthemarathonwithoutdrawingbreathandamarathonisalongwayinfacthheydragheralongtocommentateonanyfemalerunningaventwhethershehasanyexperienceofitornot

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

PaulaRadcliffehasoneofthemostboringmonotonousvoicesimaginableandjustdronesonandonandonandonfortheentirelengthofthemarathonwithoutdrawingbreathandamarathonisalongwayinfacthheydragheralongtocommentateonanyfemalerunningaventwhethershehasanyexperienceofitornot

*femalerunningevent!

Get a bloody spellchecker!  ?

?

Sky now having a "player of the match" instead of "man of the match". I'm fed up with  this wokery everywhere you look in the media. Even Carragher said man then immediately corrected himself. No mate! You were right first time! Its a mans game. The girls play a different game in a different league. If they want a Girl of the Game fair enough.

20 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Sky now having a "player of the match" instead of "man of the match". I'm fed up with  this wokery everywhere you look in the media. Even Carragher said man then immediately corrected himself. No mate! You were right first time! Its a mans game. The girls play a different game in a different league. If they want a Girl of the Game fair enough.

I see Graeme Souness has not featured as a punter since his "it's a mans game comment"

This Sky subscriber will not be renewing his sport deal in December ?

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I see Graeme Souness has not featured as a punter since his "it's a mans game comment"

This Sky subscriber will not be renewing his sport deal in December ?

You want to die on that hill?

Souness is a dinosaur. 

Either he meant it was a game for men only, in which case, he's not a good fit for modern broadcasters or he meant that you need to be resilient to play the game, in which case he seems to lack the descriptive vocabulary required by someone whose job it is to talk about football.

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Souness is a dinosaur. 

Either he meant it was a game for men only, in which case, he's not a good fit for modern broadcasters or he meant that you need to be resilient to play the game, in which case he seems to lack the descriptive vocabulary required by someone whose job it is to talk about football.

Now we're delving into what SHOULD be said and what CAN be said or what IS/WAS said, It matters not a jot to me when using a term "A Mans Game" Just like when Women advertise Tissues when wiping a tear away, Why Women...because those advertising execs see Women as a weaker sex and cry more often than Men, Like the woman talking to her dogs while crying on a settee, Or a Woman explaining she's not afraid to seek help during the financial crisis, Is this right or is this wrong...who gives a $hit...not me, We have sports washing in football, We have gay/rainbow washing by advertisers at the Notting hill festival, And yet because the Englands Womens Football team won the Euro cup some women out there want to hang a man out to dry.

Souness a Dinosaur? or a Man who says it as it is, You have your thoughts and rightly so and he and others have theirs

Is Saudi Arabia chucking more money into Womens Golf, Nope, Are the Men golfers up in arms...nope

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/60824786

Women play an integral part in sport, But until they are equally as good or better...it will always be dominated by Men, Hence "A Mans Game"  

46 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Souness is a dinosaur. 

Or maybe he just used a common phrase that virtually everyone knew what he was on about. 

On a similar note, my contribution to this thread is people trying to tell me what to think and what I'm allowed to say (or not say).  I appreciate that their opinions and beliefs might be different to mine - but they are different, not better. 

If I come out with a traditional phrase such as 'its a mans game' when clearly talking about not shirking tackles etc I will continue to do so. 

As for 'dying on that hill', I cancelled my Sky and TV licence a year ago ?

54 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Or maybe he just used a common phrase that virtually everyone knew what he was on about. 

On a similar note, my contribution to this thread is people trying to tell me what to think and what I'm allowed to say (or not say).  I appreciate that their opinions and beliefs might be different to mine - but they are different, not better. 

If I come out with a traditional phrase such as 'its a mans game' when clearly talking about not shirking tackles etc I will continue to do so. 

God forbid that the USA, China or Russia decide to Obliterate the World and destroy Person Kind...Oooops, That should read MAN KIND ?  

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Nobody's telling anyone what to think.

Perhaps Souness is on holiday, who knows.

It's just patently absurd for Souness to say what he did whilst sitting next to a woman with triple figure caps.

'Traditional' phrases fall out of use simply because the world has moved on. Old farts like me got used to 'batter' and 'third' in cricket pretty quickly. It's anachronistic to continue using them but one is free to do so.

19 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's just patently absurd for Souness to say what he did whilst sitting next to a woman with triple figure caps.

'Traditional' phrases fall out of use simply because the world has moved on. Old farts like me got used to 'batter' and 'third' in cricket pretty quickly. It's anachronistic to continue using them but one is free to do so.

Language evolves faster than people it seems to me.

I do though find Batter inelegant.

36 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don't really know much about the Souness thing tbh, other than briefly reading something about it on here at the time and recall him having to apologise. 

Whilst referencing the comment, I was making a more general point.  We all know you can't run into a crowded room and shout 'FIRE' etc and society has agreed that certain words are highly offensive.  But the continuing push by a fringe minority to police language, comedy etc (and therefore thought) by taking offence at every little minor 'transgression' (as they see it) is annoying - hence my input in this thread!

Having woke idiots correct you for using the term mankind instead of peoplekind for example (which ironically my spellchecker has highlighted as wrong ?) is something I object to.  As I said in my previous post, 'I appreciate that their opinions and beliefs might be different to mine - but they are different, not better.'   They are welcome to use whatever language it is they want to use.  I shouldn't be corrected for using whatever language it is I want to use.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

I don't really know much about the Souness thing tbh, other than briefly reading something about it on here at the time and recall him having to apologise. 

Whilst referencing the comment, I was making a more general point.  We all know you can't run into a crowded room and shout 'FIRE' etc and society has agreed that certain words are highly offensive.  But the continuing push by a fringe minority to police language, comedy etc (and therefore thought) by taking offence at every little minor 'transgression' (as they see it) is annoying - hence my input in this thread!

Having woke idiots correct you for using the term mankind instead of peoplekind for example (which ironically my spellchecker has highlighted as wrong ?) is something I object to.  As I said in my previous post, 'I appreciate that their opinions and beliefs might be different to mine - but they are different, not better.'   They are welcome to use whatever language it is they want to use.  I shouldn't be corrected for using whatever language it is I want to use.

Give me a definition of this “ woke” word everyone is chucking about. Is it the new “ snowflake “ ? 

3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Are commentators free to use terms like batsman? Are they not told to say batters? 

Do we have postmen, binmen, handy man , man with a van , white van man et etc.. where does it end?