What's the deal with teeth

Bob The Badger

When I moved to the US in 2006 people over here had normal teeth, even on TV.

Now it seems we have gone down the US route of everybody having bright white veneers.

Sarah Parish, in the dreadful Stay Close, looked utterly ridiculous her teeth were so white. Nobody born in England in their fifties has teeth that bright.

Then the other day I was watching The Apprentice (don't judge me) and it seemed 80% of them had teeth whiter than any naturally occurring substance found on planet earth. For half the program it's all I could focus on, they look preposterous.

When did this start happening?

And more importantly, does anybody know where I can get mine done on the cheap?

Edited by Bob The Badger

It’s something we often comment on. People have stupidly white teeth and, even worse, they have luminous white top sets and yellow bottom sets. 
I know you can buy temporary snap on top sets of teeth so wonder if they dish them out on shows like The Apprentice. I also notice so many people now talk with a lisp. 

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

It’s something we often comment on. People have stupidly white teeth and, even worse, they have luminous white top sets and yellow bottom sets. 
I know you can buy temporary snap on top sets of teeth so wonder if they dish them out on shows like The Apprentice. I also notice so many people now talk with a lisp. 

If you see me on Dragons Den selling snap on teeth, you’ll know where the idea came from.

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

Oh wow, I thought you wondered if they made them, not knew they did. Bummer, I was looking forward to pitching that in the den.

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Does anyone know the best treatment to get them white? I know it used to cost around £500 but I suspect the price has come down a bit.

Boutique whitening is around £200, so I've heard. 

For that you get a fitted mouthguard, and the solution you put in the mouthguard before bed each night for a number of months.

The people with the ultra white (teeth not Daz washing powder) have not had them whitened, they're veneers. 

I mean, I'm sure many have had them whitened but they don't go crazy white by that method, it just removes any staining. Otherwise it would take the enamel off and that wouldn't be good.

I'm with @Ewe Ram, I think they have snap on teeth.

A word of warning if you have eaten in the last 3-weeks. Don't think it would be funny to post a picture of terrible teeth with a caption of this years winner of The Apprentice and then go trawling the internet for such a snap shot.

On 23/01/2022 at 19:02, Bob The Badger said:

When I moved to the US in 2006 people over here had normal teeth, even on TV.

Now it seems we have gone down the US route of everybody having bright white veneers.

Sarah Parish, in the dreadful Stay Close, looked utterly ridiculous her teeth were so white. Nobody born in England in their fifties has teeth that bright.

Then the other day I was watching The Apprentice (don't judge me) and it seemed 80% of them had teeth whiter than any naturally occurring substance found on planet earth. For half the program it's all I could focus on, they look preposterous.

When did this start happening?

And more importantly, does anybody know where I can get mine done on the cheap?

I had all mine done two years ago , full crown veneers and root canal to some teeth before fitting , after years of constant tooth ache and terrible looking teeth I decided enough was enough , we personally knew a dentist in turkey who did fantastic work , one week in the sun to get all the work done , something that would have been about 50 k in the U.K. cost me under 4 k , you choose your shade , didn’t go radioactive white but a few shades down , I really like the look and it’s an absolute joy not to be constantly getting grumbling tooth ache