5live Colin Murray

TaahnRam

Colin Murray has done us justice in the past few days. On Saturday , on Quest, and now on 5live. 

He recognises the significance of our fate for the game. One did not have to agree with all the comments heard in the programme to be sure it will have served our cause well.

Well worth a listen.

Just listened to it - it’s from 30 mins onwards. Really good to get more national coverage. 

Absolutely shocking that Kieron Maguire said he spoke to another Championship Chairman, who said he didn’t know Shinnie was on the market and he’d have paid £100k for him. That’s one Chairman. What the hell are the administrators playing at selling him for £30k?

I would imagine that Wigan came in and made their offer and the Admins just accepted it without exploiting the opportunity, ie leaking to the press that we were considering a bid for him. That would have possibly led to other clubs breaking cover. Instead, Wigan probably made their offer and the Admins snapped their hand off to:

1. Appease those who were moaning that we weren’t selling players

2. Take a chunk out of the wagebill, meaning they needed to raise less funds to see out the season.

Or it could be something completely different. We’ve no idea, because they’re totally radio silent.

6 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I would imagine that Wigan came in and made their offer and the Admins just accepted it without exploiting the opportunity, ie leaking to the press that we were considering a bid for him. That would have possibly led to other clubs breaking cover. Instead, Wigan probably made their offer and the Admins snapped their hand off to:

1. Appease those who were moaning that we weren’t selling players

2. Take a chunk out of the wagebill, meaning they needed to raise less funds to see out the season.

Or it could be something completely different. We’ve no idea, because they’re totally radio silent.

If Wigan paid us £30k for Shinnie, and agreed to write off (say) £100k that we owed them for Byrne and Marshall, it’s better long term than taking £100k cash now.

Just a theory of course, and to be honest I would think we paid up front for Byrne and Marshall given Wigan’s situation (I think Marshall was also reported as a free transfer), but might explain their thinking.

Just now, nottingram said:

If Wigan paid us £30k for Shinnie, and agreed to write off (say) £100k that we owed them for Byrne and Marshall, it’s better long term than taking £100k cash now.

Just a theory of course, and to be honest I would think we paid up front for Byrne and Marshall given Wigan’s situation (I think Marshall was also reported as a free transfer), but might explain their thinking.

It makes sense on the one hand doesn’t it? But then in the other, as you say because of the situation they were in it was unlikely to be a structured deal for Byrne.

Who knows? Undisclosed/nominal fees lines have always been annoying, but now we don’t even know the strategy behind the sales.

16 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Just listened to it - it’s from 30 mins onwards. Really good to get more national coverage. 

Absolutely shocking that Kieron Maguire said he spoke to another Championship Chairman, who said he didn’t know Shinnie was on the market and he’d have paid £100k for him. That’s one Chairman. What the hell are the administrators playing at selling him for £30k?

I think it was linked to the fact that we owed Wigan money for Bryne and Marshall. 

31 minutes ago, Kinder said:

That didn't happen though did it.

3 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

That didn't happen though did it.

That’s exactly what he said on the programme. Do you know differently? You must admit it was a derisory fee, albeit might have something to do with Marshall / Byrne deals. I’d personally imagine those were both cash deals though, given the situation Wigan were in.

5 minutes ago, Kinder said:

That’s exactly what he said on the programme. Do you know differently? You must admit it was a derisory fee, albeit might have something to do with Marshall / Byrne deals. I’d personally imagine those were both cash deals though, given the situation Wigan were in.

I have absolutely no idea but do you seriously think a chairman uttered those words? Nah! Agreed though, fairly derisory fee.

49 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

I have absolutely no idea but do you seriously think a chairman uttered those words? Nah! Agreed though, fairly derisory fee.

So Kieran lied?! @Kinder literally quoted him word for word. 

but I’d be willing to believe there’s more to it. At the end of the day, an extra £70k isn’t going to save us. It might have had something to do with money owed to Wigan, it could just be that shinnie fancied being in Wigan (not sure what the appeal is, but who knows). 

2 hours ago, Kinder said:

Yes i thought that was way to cheap although reducing the wage bill is probably more of a concern at present,that said it shows you if we do have to do a mass sale of players this month just to survive we will get peanuts for our players once the vultures come calling

I also found it interesting how Kieran was talking about the ways in which Mel could go from zero to hero and save the club.

1) put the stadium company into administration, so the stadium and club can be sold together as a package, or

2) take on personal liability for the two claims, if he’s so sure they have no case (and if he thinks they do have a case then a) why did he put us in the position where other clubs could have a case against us, and b) why does he expect someone else to take on that case?)

I’d not really seen those ideas touted before, and it really would solve all our problems, as well as allowing Mel to leave with some honour and dignity. 

4 hours ago, Kinder said:

I tend to think all our players are available so for a chairman to say that is nonsense