Billy Sharp Chants

J-Abz

Just now, angieram said:

I think the attempts to justify acceptance of this chant as just being part of youth culture are pathetic and I am disappointed that people aren't doing more to stop it happening. 

These young people don't exist in isolation - many of them will be attending games with friends and family.

You need to speak up against this continuously and tell people why it is unacceptable. 

Like all forms of abuse, doing nothing is not an option. 

I have never been as disappointed with some on this Forum as I am today.

I was stood amongst a load of those singing yesterday and it was mainly teens and early 20's singing it. I just shook my head and said it was poo  but I never thought for one minute about reporting anyone or getting fellow Rams fans banned. 

I was young many years ago and have started and joined in with songs that people would find offensive today, but we were just council estate kids that didn't give a toss. 

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I was stood amongst a load of those singing yesterday and it was mainly teens and early 20's singing it. I just shook my head and said it was poo  but I never thought for one minute about reporting anyone or getting fellow Rams fans banned. 

I was young many years ago and have started and joined in with songs that people would find offensive today, but we were just council estate kids that didn't give a toss. 

But where have those teens & early 20’s heard it from? Previous generations such as you admitted who sang it before. None of what you said is a defence for this “banter”

Just now, mrdave85 said:

But where have those teens & early 20’s heard it from? Previous generations such as you admitted who sang it before. None of what you said is a defence for this “banter”

Who's trying to defend it?

It's always happened and it always will, but some people seem to be more sensitive to stuff like this since it stopped being mainly working class men filling the ground. 

1 minute ago, mrdave85 said:

Social media is the answer, sadly. I remember that guy who set up the crowdfunding for that German girl who was caught on TV crying after we beat them in the Euros. He got hounded mercilessly with the word and the accusations, had to close his social media down due to the abuse. People were making fake accounts of him, accusing him of all sorts for their own 'banter', photoshopping him in ridiculous situations. Presumably it would have leaked into his personal life, working life etc. Tarnished because of what was a joke. 

Unfortunately, particularly on Twitter, it's just seen as funny to some. You'll see anything responded to with the 'Checking Hard Drive' gif or the one from Phoenix Nights. It's grim and it goes without punishment, so it carries on. I can see why Sharp would take offence at it - anyone would. Is just a bit of a grim thing to do for a laugh

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

It's always happened and it always will, but some people seem to be more sensitive to stuff like this since it stopped being mainly working class men filling the ground. 

A few posts have said things like “get over it” or similar. You just said people are more sensitive to it as opposed to it being a horrible chant to begin with , implies it was fine then so should be fine now. It isn’t.

Just now, mrdave85 said:

A few posts have said things like “get over it” or similar. You just said people are more sensitive to it as opposed to it being a horrible chant to begin with , implies it was fine then so should be fine now. It isn’t.

That's your opinion. 

Obviously the people singing it disagree with you and people like me don't really give a toss about songs upsetting opposition players even if we don't always agree with them. 

2 hours ago, LN747 said:

I have to agree , working with young people it is a new insult that they don’t see the same way as us older generation do - I think they use nonce etc as it’s one of the few words the think they are allowed to say without fear of arrest 

it’s a stupid chant but is used by various clubs not just Derby - it’s nothing to do with his child 

The best way of dealing with these insults Is ignoring , laughing at or rolling with them - as soon as you react they’ve got you - I though Billy would be able to do one of these but obviously unaware of the new nuances in insulting language used by kids these days - language does change from generation to generation - I don’t swear but the way the F and C word is used by footballers in particular shows this - disgusting words but it’s ok they don’t mind them but other words they don’t use is a no no - I’m sure it will change again in 10 years 

It does indeed.

My generation not only used words such as honky, sambo, and nig nog, but were encouraged to laugh hysterically at them... on prime time TV.  That's when we weren't tuning into shows hosted by celebrated pooftah's, chortling at Chalky White impressions, or sat waiting for wife/mother to finish washing the dishes and ironing our shirts, so she can bring a fresh cuppa in!

None of the above words, terms, or actions are acceptable today... and damn bloody right too!

Regardless of upbringing.  Regardless of tradition.  Regardless of culture.  When things are wrong, they are wrong. 
Accusing an innocent individual of being a paedophile, regardless of the term(s) used, has never been right, never been acceptable, and has never been a trend!

I'll more than likely take a pasting for posting the above, and typing the words uncensored, even given the context of my ramblings.  That's just how unacceptable such terms are nowadays... which is 100% a good thing in my book (believe it or not!)  
So much so, I'll offer my sincere apologies right now... as I know they'll soon be due!

27 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

It is not used by Derby, or any other football club.

It may be used by individuals... numerous individuals in some instances... who by chance may well be attending a football match, but no, it is most definitely "used by football clubs"!

"Massive Oops!" (And too late to edit!)

...it is most definitely NOT "used by football clubs"!

15 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Yes, we have brought some much needed perspective into the grounds!

You should be telling people to stop. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I'm a working class woman so I don't know what that's got to do with anything unless you're implying that they don't know any better. 

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

You should be telling people to stop. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I'm a working class woman so I don't know what that's got to do with anything unless you're implying that they don't know any better. 

I love that " if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem " crap.

I told some of them that I thought it was a poo chant ( obviously not using the word poo) but I'm not their parent, guardian or carer, neither am I a hypocrite who will condemn people for doing things that I've done. 

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

What you've just said has horrible overtones of the Eric Cantona incident. So it's perfectly acceptable for a professional to receive dogs abuse about their nationality, parenthood etc for 90 minutes which they have to accept as custom and practice but the moment they do anything to respond in turn then they are the social pariah. 

People should be very carefull on who's family member you verbally attack

image.png.72fb0217762e7e54bb49f13f5b7eab5c.png

49 minutes ago, angieram said:

I was at the sheffield united away game at the far end and fortunately that chant didn't really make it our way from the centre. I heard it sang then and asked myself was there any validity in the accusations,  a quick google search found absolutely nothing so I just thought they were idiots for singing it. It's not something I'd report a fan for (it doesn't discriminate based upon an essential characteristic making it completely different from racism, homophobia, sexism etc.) but I would give someone a dirty look for it. I don't think that makes me part of the problem. 

Sadly, every club has this minority existing and at times even a majority will sing distasteful things when they really should know better. It's not unique to Derby and it's not even unique to football as a problem. For what it's worth, I have actively confronted a fan for racist behaviour at nottingham forest away to make him stop even though him and his mrs were absolutely hammered and looked like they wanted to take a chunk out of me for the rest of the game.  

1 hour ago, angieram said:

You're speaking as if they're going to just turn and say, "Oh my good sir, I do apologise for the offensive chants. I had no idea it was causing you so much distress. I will now continue consuming my vast quanitites of cocaine and alcohol while standing here peacefully."

I'm not getting filled in for telling a group of coked up lads to stop a dodgy chant, it's not my job and it's not worth it. In no way does that make me 'part of the problem', genuinely ludicrous take and such a polarising position does nothing to get people on your side.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Bit of an extreme statement and a silly one at that. Why should I or anyone else tell a few drunken lads to stop singing something offensive? Not my job, besides I would probably be told to "bugger off" (to put it politely), and/or get my head kicked in. I don't agree with what they were singing, but just because I don't tell them to stop doesn't make me or others part of the problem, and that fact that you are trying to label others that don't intervene part of the  "problem" is quite distasteful and direspectful in my eyes.

Edited by DanS1992