Billy Sharp Chants

J-Abz

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

Who's trying to defend it?

It's always happened and it always will, but some people seem to be more sensitive to stuff like this since it stopped being mainly working class men filling the ground. 

My dad is 94 and working class ,he would never sing abuse like that. Your theory is nonscence.

2 hours ago, lrm14 said:

You're speaking as if they're going to just turn and say, "Oh my good sir, I do apologise for the offensive chants. I had no idea it was causing you so much distress. I will now continue consuming my vast quanitites of cocaine and alcohol while standing here peacefully."

I'm not getting filled in for telling a group of coked up lads to stop a dodgy chant, it's not my job and it's not worth it. In no way does that make me 'part of the problem', genuinely ludicrous take and such a polarising position does nothing to get people on your side.

Can understand your reticence for not wanting to approach them direct, would you not consider reporting them to stewards and or the police in that case then?

Never had anything to do with you anyway, and quite happy that I don't. Not confronting the people directly is totally understandable, you never know who you are confronting nowadays. Just report the nonsense to the stewards, let them deal with them, it's their job. Confronting aggressive boozed up bigots alone is a risky proposition, just report it to the relevant authorities and let them deal with it.

4 hours ago, ossieram said:

There is a big difference between not being a fan and hating.

Sheff utd fans were singing a similar song to a Hull player, so presumably you hate them. 

You’re missing the point. Why ? The view is pretty straight forward .. those sort of chants are hateful whoever spouts them. As it happens some of ours did it yesterday hence his comment. I think you are walking around with partisan blinkers and making a cheap shot because you know exactly what he means, your motives however seem somewhat odd. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's strange as the obvious conclusion that must be drawn is that whilst confronting someone making offensive comments might not be the wisest course of action doing nothing to report such abuse to a person who could act upon is viewed as condoning the behaviour in itself.

Given that a number of years ago and at great expense, cameras were placed within football grounds to single out individuals who were causing any sort of problem. Why should individual members of the public put themselves at risk by bringing this to the authorities attention. I fail to understand that with the increase not just with chanting of an innappropriate nature but also in object throwing at football grounds, why they are not identified (using this modern technology) and banned from attending future games?

Edited by rainram
wrong order

5 hours ago, ossieram said:

Who's trying to defend it?

It's always happened and it always will, but some people seem to be more sensitive to stuff like this since it stopped being mainly working class men filling the ground. 

Ffs what rubbish.  I’m not suddenly middle class just because I think it’s embarrassing to be calling someone a rapist or sex offender. You make statements like this you are essentially saying working class people just don’t know any better like we’re all thick coked up idiots who can’t think for ourselves. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can understand your reticence for not wanting to approach them direct, would you not consider reporting them to stewards and or the police in that case then?

Not for chants like the ones aimed at Sharp yesterday. They're embarassing and tasteless sure but the stewards aren't going to chuck out half the South Stand and I think approaching the police would be wasting their time as no laws have been broken. Unless it's a small group chanting in the family stand then I think the best we can do as fans is publicly condemn them and that's about it. Discriminatory chants however are a completely different story and in that instance I wouldn't hesitate in reporting them.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's strange as the obvious conclusion that must be drawn is that whilst confronting someone making offensive comments might not be the wisest course of action doing nothing to report such abuse to a person who could act upon is viewed as condoning the behaviour in itself.

Couldn't disagree more and I'm not sure how this black and white 'you're either with us or against us' attitude does anybody any good. Did you report them to the stewards and police yesterday? Do you think even 1% of this forum approached either of them? Does that mean you and everyone else on this forum is condoning the chants?  There's plenty of reasons why people might choose to act in such a manner and in no way does that indicate approval of any kind, you're just making assumptions at that point.

On 16/01/2022 at 11:17, Tombo said:

I mean the first time it was going round I thought it was a bit daft and not all that funny.

It's definitely funny seeing how much it winds him up. It only gets funnier the more he reacts. And he had a terrible game yesterday because of it.

Surely a player of his experience should learn to just focus on his game rather than getting wound up about what is clearly a baseless daft song?

It's in the same category as the Collymore song. Rubbish banter but if it gets on their nerves you have to admit, it's a good chuckle

And theres me thinking Sharp had a quiet afternoon due to how well Curtis and Stears played

22 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I was at the sheffield united away game at the far end and fortunately that chant didn't really make it our way from the centre. I heard it sang then and asked myself was there any validity in the accusations,  a quick google search found absolutely nothing so I just thought they were idiots for singing it. It's not something I'd report a fan for (it doesn't discriminate based upon an essential characteristic making it completely different from racism, homophobia, sexism etc.) but I would give someone a dirty look for it. I don't think that makes me part of the problem. 

Sadly, every club has this minority existing and at times even a majority will sing distasteful things when they really should know better. It's not unique to Derby and it's not even unique to football as a problem. For what it's worth, I have actively confronted a fan for racist behaviour at nottingham forest away to make him stop even though him and his mrs were absolutely hammered and looked like they wanted to take a chunk out of me for the rest of the game.  

I too was at that match and was firstly puzzled at why such a vile chant being  sung,  so I did exactly what you did and Googled it. When this subject came up on the forum after the game and people were asking about Sharps behaviour at the end of the match I stated that I didn’t blame him after hearing that all the way through the match as it was disgusting. I was also at the game on Saturday and although I heard it sung by the usual cretins it seemed to be very short  lived which was a relief as I hate it. 
However,  Billy Sharps behaviour at the end when he came down to the Sheffield fans was quite antagonistic, he did a thumbs down to the south stand and mouthed “you’re going down” with a grin on his face. He then walked past Fozzy as he was applauding the fans, and hit him in the nuts! 
I am no way defending  the chant, but I think he’s getting to be his own worst enemy. He had a crap game and I think he was more angry with himself than anything else.

13 minutes ago, dcfc the 1 4me said:

I too was at that match and was firstly puzzled at why such a vile chant being  sung,  so I did exactly what you did and Googled it. When this subject came up on the forum after the game and people were asking about Sharps behaviour at the end of the match I stated that I didn’t blame him after hearing that all the way through the match as it was disgusting. I was also at the game on Saturday and although I heard it sung by the usual cretins it seemed to be very short  lived which was a relief as I hate it. 
However,  Billy Sharps behaviour at the end when he came down to the Sheffield fans was quite antagonistic, he did a thumbs down to the south stand and mouthed “you’re going down” with a grin on his face. He then walked past Fozzy as he was applauding the fans, and hit him in the nuts! 
I am no way defending  the chant, but I think he’s getting to be his own worst enemy. He had a crap game and I think he was more angry with himself than anything else.

All of this. Exactly the same for me. 

39 minutes ago, dcfc the 1 4me said:

Did worse after the game at the team bus it seems.  Still waiting for the 10 game ban. Still waiting......

Football fans in singing nasty song, shocker. Again.

One day those involved will be a bit older and wiser and be embarrassed by what they did as a youth. Most of them anyway. The 5 or 10 percent who won't will have probably gone on to do worse things which they'll regret even more.

Anyone not singing the songs can be safe in the knowledge that they are more evolved, occupy the moral high ground, and that such instances will not change anyone's opinion of Derby fans or football fans as a whole. That ship sailed about 50 years ago.