Steve Bloomer

Vienna

36 minutes ago, Vienna said:

Looked up the chap next to him as a recall he had a pretty bad ending.  Seems he did poor fella

Born in Newhall, Derbyshire, Warren began his playing career with Derby County, whose secretary-manager had spotted him playing in a junior match. Playing at half-back, though he could also fill in at inside forward, Warren was known for his hard but fair tackling, and for his consistent performances. He scored eight goals in seven FA Cup matches to help Derby reach the semi-finals of the competition in 1902; he also helped Derby reach the final a year later, though they lost 6–0 to Bury. He emerged as one of England's highest-rated half-backs, winning his first cap against Ireland in 1906. He made 242 Football League appearances for Derby, scoring 19 goals.

Warren signed for David Calderhead's Chelsea in July 1908 and made his debut against Preston North End. He retained his place in the England side, but once again the closest he came to success with a club was in the FA Cup, playing in every game for Chelsea en route to the semi-finals in 1911, where they lost to Newcastle United. In 101 matches, he scored five goals for Chelsea. After making his England debut, he played in the next 19 matches for his country, a run only ended by injury, and finished his career with 22 caps and 2 goals, one of which came during England's first overseas tour.

A knee injury sustained while playing for Chelsea in a 4–1 win over Clapton Orient ended Warren's career and led to a decline in his mental health. Faced with a long lay-off, and with a young family to support in the days before footballers were well-paid, Warren suffered a mental breakdown and began to be plagued by hallucinations and delusions he was being poisoned; by 1912 he had been admitted to a lunatic asylum in Mickleover, Derbyshire. His condition deteriorated to such an extent that he was placed on suicide watch. He died of tuberculosis while still an inmate of the asylum in 1917.

An incredible player and a football icon to match or better virtually every other 'legendary' player, anywhere.

Our DCFC heritage is being displaced, diluted and dissipated in all this recent financial and business trauma at the club - every regime since PPS was built has promised fans a proper Derby County museum - none have delivered....how far away is this, still?

However we rebuild, it should still be on the agenda, such a great history going to waste as heritage stalwarts grow older: the continuity is in danger of evaporating if we can't connect younger fans with a wonderful heritage.

A permanent DCFC museum is quite frankly, a waste of time and money. Which is why it hasn’t been done. 
how many people would visit it when it opens? Let’s be generous and say every Derby fan will go so the capacity of Pride park. Plus their families, so 90k? How many realistically outside of the Derby fan base will go once? Hardly any. A few football nerds. 
once you’ve been once, you’re not likely to go again. 

a much better idea is to do pop-up exhibitions every so often in line with major events in the past. Keep it fresh and evolving rather than the same stuff in the same places 

25 minutes ago, tinman said:

A permanent DCFC museum is quite frankly, a waste of time and money. Which is why it hasn’t been done. 
how many people would visit it when it opens? Let’s be generous and say every Derby fan will go so the capacity of Pride park. Plus their families, so 90k? How many realistically outside of the Derby fan base will go once? Hardly any. A few football nerds. 

a much better idea is to do pop-up exhibitions every so often in line with major events in the past. Keep it fresh and evolving rather than the same stuff in the same places 

If space could be found inside the ground, with interactive activities, video/TV screens, old kits/items...plus a few things to buy...surely it could be done fairly inexpensively? Maybe use it for schools in the week if was done in the right way, indoctrinate the locals!

Many of you will know this bit of Bloomer trivia, from a few years ago and I am not aware of anyone overtaking it. It puts into perspective just how good he was.

The all time top scorers in the big five European league top divisions (Germany, Italy, Spain, England and France) are:

1.Christiano Ronaldo

2.Lionel Messi

3.Jimmy Greaves

4.Gerd Muller

5.Steve Bloomer

Steve lost some seasons playing in the second division and was technically an inside forward, not the main striker (he probably made nearly as many as he scored). He also played in an era when the offside rule was three defenders rather than the two today, so his record was monumental. Cannot think of anyone’s statue I would rather have next to the dugout. 

1 hour ago, Ramzabac said:

Many of you will know this bit of Bloomer trivia, from a few years ago and I am not aware of anyone overtaking it. It puts into perspective just how good he was.

The all time top scorers in the big five European league top divisions (Germany, Italy, Spain, England and France) are:

1.Christiano Ronaldo

2.Lionel Messi

3.Jimmy Greaves

4.Gerd Muller

5.Steve Bloomer

Steve lost some seasons playing in the second division and was technically an inside forward, not the main striker (he probably made nearly as many as he scored). He also played in an era when the offside rule was three defenders rather than the two today, so his record was monumental. Cannot think of anyone’s statue I would rather have next to the dugout. 

Wikipedia says it's Jimmy Greaves - 357 to Steve's 314. Those seasons in Div. 2 obviously the difference and I doubt Greavsie had many assists! 

On 07/01/2022 at 07:57, tinman said:

A museum isn’t meant to be about making money though. There are all sorts of weird and niche museums in the world, like the lawnmower museum. How many people visit that? But those that do will be glad it’s their and that someone is curating the history of lawn mowers.

It doesn’t have to be anything too big and fancy. We’ve already got a trophy cabinet, just extend that with a few other photos, old kits and memorabilia. We just need some sort of formal space to reserve our history so anyone who wants to see it or research it in the future is able to and it doesn’t all get forgotten about in some dusty attic. 

Our history is as precious as our trophies. 

23 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

A museum isn’t meant to be about making money though. There are all sorts of weird and niche museums in the world, like the lawnmower museum. How many people visit that? But those that do will be glad it’s their and that someone is curating the history of lawn mowers.

It doesn’t have to be anything too big and fancy. We’ve already got a trophy cabinet, just extend that with a few other photos, old kits and memorabilia. We just need some sort of formal space to reserve our history so anyone who wants to see it or research it in the future is able to and it doesn’t all get forgotten about in some dusty attic. 

Our history is as precious as our trophies. 

Absolutely. Many smaller (and trophy-less) clubs have impressive dedicated museums to celebrate their past. A museum can be a stimulus to sell club merchandise, refreshments, get fans to the ground earlier and so on.

Our history deserves proper recognition and display - plenty of rare DCFC artifacts in the collection are lying in a lock-up. Shame!

Active fans wish to contribute and curate, at all levels at DCFC and many clubs - and anyone dismissing heritage as being for the benefit of 'a few football nerds' badly disrespects volunteers and contributors: they are the ones who initiate and energise campaigns to bring projects such as the Bloomer and Clough & Taylor statues, giant flag and other historical celebrations to reality. 

C O Y R

Just jumping in on the comments about the history and heritage of the club, it is something that a few of us have been actively doing for a number of years at huge personal expense, though i must also say that there have been some fantastic people who see the value in the preservation of the clubs history greater than the pound and have donated precious items, i am one of the founders trustees of the ramsheritage trust along with @cstand and a few other like minded individuals and we pool our collections together to do pop up displays, the Derby County Collection run by club historian Andy Ellis has been doing this for years and we plan on doing future events together and as soon as covid has passed these will be more prevalent.

i always cite the Arsenal museum as a great example of what can be done, its a relatively small building and is all about the history of their club rather than the trophies that have been won and it is done as a time line, it uses modern day lighting techniques very well and display screens with looped video footage, crowd sounds and of course many exhibits, it just has somebody on the door who over sees it, free entry is granted to anybody who does the ground tour, after spending three hours with Charlie George it was the perfect and most interesting end to the tour

its not a money making exercise its just an opportunity for fans to learn and engage with the past.

the past and the history of a club is integral to the now and the future, without the past there would be no club.

i started off as a normal fan as a kid, dad taking me then going with my mates home and away then as i got older i wanted to learn more, that's why i have been researching with Jason and Andy for the book about the history of the shirts and the colours, you then start to find out with the help of Peter Seddon about the meetings in the old bell in saddler gate about how the club was formed and where those players came from, the fact that Derby County was not the best club in Derby but because of the connections it had it became the only club in Derby, lots of intrigue.

so don't write it off as being boring, engage where possible and promote where possible, it is actually quite interesting and who knows this time next year we may have the opportunity to build something permanent.

if anybody has anything up in those attics or sheds then drop me a line at mail@phillowe.co.uk or message on here.

10 hours ago, Ramzabac said:

This extract might help from his biog. 

IMG20220113083358.jpg

Thanks so much Zabac for posting that.

How funny! That's now called Hardwick School, which I went to many years ago; in addition to attending the other St James's, which is still called St James.

The football skills didn't rub off on me though. I played sweeper and would just try to kick mud into the goal! I scored lots of mud goals, but they didn't really help the team.

I don't remember Bloomer ever being mentioned at school, although I probably wasn't listening if they did.

I did invent a ball game though, a bit like rounders, that they were still playing at least 8 or 9 years after I left.