Build the Rooney statue now!

Day

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I’ve always thought this league looked poor and we had a chance of staying up even with the points deductions.

So I think it’s too soon to say. We’ll only really know towards the end of the season and by seeing just how close to survival we get.

But absolutely Rooney deserves credit. I think even those who think he is not the best possible fit for us can acknowledge he is getting many things right.

He has produced a team with spirit and fight, he has put trust in youngsters, and he has got some excellent results against the odds, and indeed he has got the fans full of hope and belief.

I am not going to do a complete 360 on the basis of 2-3 results. But if we can take recent results and build on it and win the more favourable games, then I am sure it’s only a matter of time before Rooney wins those few questioning voices over.

Spot on,mirrors my thoughts exactly tonight?

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I wouldn't say it would be on the basis of 2-3 results, we've not lost many games at all this season. We've had quite a lot of draws, probably due to the lack of firepower we have upfront, but we've been competitive in almost all of our matches, some which we really have no business being competitive in.

Absolutely. 17 positive results out of 24 this season (W7 D10 L7) which is incredible given the car crash going on off the field.

Of the 7 we've lost, in only one game has that been by more than one goal (Birmingham 0-2 in Sep) & we actually led in 3 of those defeats (Peterborough, Barnsley, QPR).

Its astonishing to say but if we had genuine firepower, we could be a top 6 contender (on results alone).

Edited by LeedsCityRam

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Absolutely. 17 positive results out of 24 this season (W7 D10 L7) which is incredible given the car crash going on off the field.

Of the 7 we've lost, in only one game has that been by more than one goal (Birmingham 0-2 in Sep) & we actually led in 3 of those defeats (Peterborough, Barnsley, QPR).

Its astonishing to say but if we had genuine firepower, we could be a top 6 contender (on results alone).

Shows the remarkable work of our defenders very well. We've not conceded many goals at all, Curtis and Jagielka are still brilliant defenders despite their age, and Forsyth, Buchanan and Byrne have all been brilliant defensively too to ensure we've had as many good results as we have. 

The players are playing how Rooney played. Never give in, leave everything on the pitch. I honestly thought we'd struggle tonight after the workrate against West Brom but no, it was incessant, closing them down from the kick off to the final whistle.

I will personally dig the footings for the statue.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It was actually quite positive,I presume you didn't read the op's post properly grincho

Quite positive for the OP, which ain't saying much. Hedged his bets by starting with this :

"I’ve always thought this league looked poor and we had a chance of staying up even with the points deductions." 

which is absolutely contrary to the opinion of every bookmaker and pundit in the country. 

Do me a favour. 

I thought we were dead and buried after the 12 point deduction.

The fact that before the end of December there is a glimmer of hope, especially given our run of fixtures since the deduction is nothing short of remarkable.

Still think the the task is too steep and that we will run out of steam but as long as we go down playing in the manner that we are right now, my love for DCFC will have been fully restored. 

Forget experienced manager, tactical nous etc. What this club has needed above anything else this season is leadership. We had none with Mel absconding and Stephen Pearce being a puppet. Rooney has filled the void and has at times led the whole club. That’s way beyond what he should be doing. 

He has inspired this team to do great things this season. If we survive it will be one of the greatest achievements in this club’s history not in honours but in triumph over adversity.

Hes improving as a manager and a coach as well. This combined with outstanding leadership (which can’t be taught), I really think the sky is the limit for him as a coach and (if it’s financially viable for us) we need to keep hold of him as long as we can.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

But absolutely Rooney deserves credit

ooooh that must have hurt.

Cheer up mate and enjoy the season, this is turning out to be a brilliant campaign for the fans. Just need to get the ownership sorted to give Rooney a fighting chance of keeping us up. Its impossible, it won't happen, but Rooney is giving us pride in our club not seen for quite a few years.

27 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

ooooh that must have hurt.

Cheer up mate and enjoy the season, this is turning out to be a brilliant campaign for the fans. Just need to get the ownership sorted to give Rooney a fighting chance of keeping us up. Its impossible, it won't happen, but Rooney is giving us pride in our club not seen for quite a few years.

Why would it hurt? Forums are all about praising people when they do well and criticising when you think they could do better.

I am full of cheer and enjoying us winning football matches. But if we are serious about survival, we have to look at it as a job yet to be finished, which was my point.

Why can’t it happen? Why is it impossible? We have 22 games to play. Look at the fixtures and tell me you can’t pick out 10, 11, 12 games we could win. Whether we do it or not remains to be seen, but we have a chance.

We’ll always have pride in our club. I think that always has been and always will be there.

Edited by Jourdan

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why would it hurt? Forums are all about praising people when they do well and criticising when you think they could do better.

I am full of cheer and enjoying us winning football matches. But if we are serious about survival, we have to look at it as a job yet to be finished, which was my point.

Why can’t it happen? Why is it impossible? We have 22 games to play. Look at the fixtures and tell me you can’t pick out 10, 11, 12 games we could win. Whether we do it or not remains to be seen, but we have a chance.

We’ll always have pride in our club. I think that always has and always will be there.

Fair play. Your posting style seems so negative towards Rooney when he seems to be galvanising a bunch of academy and free signings to being able to compete.

We al want to see Derby win football matches at the end of the day but the incredibly unusual and exceptional circumstances we find ourselves in have been managed superbly by our rookie manager. 

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

The players are playing how Rooney played. Never give in, leave everything on the pitch. I honestly thought we'd struggle tonight after the workrate against West Brom but no, it was incessant, closing them down from the kick off to the final whistle.

I will personally dig the footings for the statue.

I'll supervise. I've done my share of graft now, including grave digging and swinging a sledge hammer. I'll hold the tape measure and mark some straight lines for you. 

Edited by ossieram

6 hours ago, David said:

without a deduction this team made up of freebies and academy players would be 13th in the Championship, just 8pts off the top 6

...but without a deduction and all that's surrounded it, would the squad have the same mentality and play in the same way and picked up those points? Do the limitations of the squad help increase the focus and determination of the management and the players? Would Plange and Thompson have had the same chances?

I'm not saying that harnessing that isn't in itself a skill or worth a lot of praise, and to have kept it up for the majority of our 24 games is probably what's most remarkable, especially so because we've won 3 in a row and seem to be picking up some real momentum.

Wigan were doing pretty poorly in the 2019/20 season, but the threat of a 12 point deduction seemed to spur them on to a late run of excellent results - would they have got those results without that motivation or just drifted slowly towards relegation?

We've seen Paul Cook mentioned as someone who some would think ideal to manage us but this notion has now been derided and discarded because he was sacked by Ipswich... but he was working in totally different circumstances at Ipswich (similar to those that Rooney would be under next season if we were relegated, actually), and also in parallel he wasn't doing particularly well at Wigan before they were backed into that corner. 

I'm not trying to be miserable and defeatist (although I do feel there's a bit of misplaced optimism and occasional delusion mainly off the pitch) but there's a hell of a lot still to prove for Rooney, starting with the game against a flailing (1 win in 7) Reading.

Win that and I'll truly start to believe

Edited by Coconut's Beard

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Quite positive for the OP, which ain't saying much. Hedged his bets by starting with this :

"I’ve always thought this league looked poor and we had a chance of staying up even with the points deductions." 

which is absolutely contrary to the opinion of every bookmaker and pundit in the country. 

Do me a favour. 

I suppose you can listen to the bookmakers and you can listen to the pundits. Some of us prefer to make up our own minds.

Anyone who has watched Championship football for any length of time knows to expect the unexpected.

Personally I have never bought into the ‘Derby are doomed’ narrative, nor the ‘No-one would take this job’ narrative either. Not for one second.

We’ve always had a chance of survival. This has looked like a poor league from the very beginning and the one year where points deductions might not be decisive.

Having reservations over an inexperienced manager is something I can be accused of, but writing off the team is not.  

This division is very ordinary. I’ve been saying it for months. It’s nothing new. But it perhaps goes some way to explaining why I am not knighting the players after a second away win in 12 attempts.

If we are capable of taking six points off Stoke, four points off WBA, four points off Bournemouth and Fulham, surely it begs the question: have we really made the most of games against the perceived lesser opposition? If not, why not?

Edited by Jourdan