The Administration Thread

Boycie

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I suspect you may be right! Part of the reason I’m asking the question is to try and gleam whether this is long/short term!

Absolutely agree that wealth does not equal success, that is proven time and time again in football. In fact, I don’t actually disagree with anything in your post. But you haven’t really answered my question. I just want to get a picture of what we can expect from this guy in terms of funding. Is he capable of building a squad to push for promotion back to the Championship? Could he sustain us if we got promoted? Or should we expect nothing but survival in the here and how? Just wondering. 

No sure where you’ve gleamed that from. I’m just asking the question. I wouldn’t need to ask that question if it was Mike Ashley, he is worth over a billion. I just want to understand what this guy is working with, that’s all.

The days of spending sprees are over for the entire of the 72 I think! And rightly so. Don’t get me started on that, though! 

Surely he must do, right? Otherwise he wouldn’t be getting into this? There’s no guarantee he will be able to just sell us after a year or two. We’ve all learnt how hard it is to sell a football club successfully ?

His estimated net worth when featured on the 2018 Rich List was £252million pounds. That figure is likely to have changed in the 4 years since, maybe increased or decreased, only he and his accountant will know that actual figure. 

It has been suggested based on media reports and historic examples of clubs exiting administration (as frustratingly the EFL regs don’t include published processes for post insolvency events) that we will be subject to restrictions as to how much we can spend on transfer fees (if anything) and wages in line with an agreed business plan between the new owner and the league. Which makes the general consensus, whoever takes the club on will not be able to immediately bankroll an assault on the leagues and we have to temper our expectations accordingly. What that could mean is Clowes is able to acquire the club, settle 100% of football debts, 25p in the pound to other creditors then steady the ship and build sensibly and gradually towards promotion with a sustainable model. Utilising the academy, effective recruitment and the large revenue opportunities presented by our fandom to build wealth within the club and not throw good money after bad like Mr Morris before.

I’d also add, let’s wait for the takeover to happen and I suspect he will tell us what his plan is. Hopefully the days of us wildly speculating in the absence of solid info and communication are numbered. The Clowes statement was mature and informative in my view, delivered in the right way once there was something to share, I’m hoping that will be the case moving forward. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

47 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Apologies if this has been stated before…

Does anyone know roughly how much Clowes / the specific group that are attempting to buy the club are worth? How much money they have in comparison to say Mel Morris / Mike Ashley?

Its fairytale stuff for a fan and local guy to buy your club (heard that somewhere before) but can he actually afford this?

And by afford I mean pay off debts / buy an entire new squad / a new coaching team / new recruitment department / all the other never ending bills that come with owning a money guzzling football club in 2022?

Its all well and good saying: it doesn’t matter how much he has as long as he runs us properly, but that is a very unrealistic way of looking at this. 

Can’t you just be grateful that we’ve got a club to support, and worry about the Champions League push when we’ve stabilised a bit? Hmm?

1 minute ago, curb said:

Can’t you just be grateful that we’ve got a club to support, and worry about the Champions League push when we’ve stabilised a bit? Hmm?

God forbid anybody dare ask how much someone trying to buy Derby County has. 

Would you have a problem with me asking this question if he was called Erik Alonso? 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

God forbid anybody dare ask how much someone trying to buy Derby County has. 

Would you have a problem with me asking this question if he was called Erik Alonso? 

At this point in the process, yes. If he’s got enough to save us from the imminent disaster that is liquidation, then anything else is a bonus. How would you feel if you went into Curry’s to buy a telly and they asked to see your bank account to make sure you can afford to fund Sky TV and Netflix for the next ten years?

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

You obviously haven’t been on this forum for very long

Been lurking for years, posting more regularly throughout the admin process. I’m a mix of optimistic and realistic in my views, also down to life experience I’ve learned the hard way to worry less about things I can’t control and focus on the things I can. 
All for healthy debate and discussion, I get why you asked the questions, my view is we’ll find out in due course. Morris had money and threw it around causing all manner of chaos in the end, Clowes may repeat those mistakes or do something completely different, we’ll have to wait and see. 
What I want to see is the club ran sustainably, carry on being a big fish in a smaller pond until we’re definitely ready to go up through the leagues. I don’t fancy being premier league whipping boys again anytime soon, that at least looks likely not to happen for a looooong time. 

25 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

No we wont go pop for God sake and some really really rich on the board.

Yes I believe you are correct B4 , we won't go pop. I guess I was just trying to convey that message to NUWTFLY , he seemed to be worrying that DC wouldn't be able to afford to buy our club and run it too.  Lets just wait fof the announcement that he's bought us. I suspect all will become clear at that point. 

And thanks for all your positive posts keeping our chins up in these testing times .

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

His estimated net worth when featured on the 2018 Rich List was £252million pounds. That figure is likely to have changed in the 4 years since, maybe increased or decreased, only he and his accountant will know that actual figure. 

It has been suggested based on media reports and historic examples of clubs exiting administration (as frustratingly the EFL regs don’t include published processes for post insolvency events) that we will be subject to restrictions as to how much we can spend on transfer fees (if anything) and wages in line with an agreed business plan between the new owner and the league. Which makes the general consensus, whoever takes the club on will not be able to immediately bankroll an assault on the leagues and we have to temper our expectations accordingly. What that could mean is Clowes is able to acquire the club, settle 100% of football debts, 25p in the pound to other creditors then steady the ship and build sensibly and gradually towards promotion with a sustainable model. Utilising the academy, effective recruitment and the large revenue opportunities presented by our fandom to build wealth within the club and not throw good money after bad like Mr Morris before.

I know precious little about all this, @Caerphilly Ram, but everything I've read and heard from posters reassures me that this is how he sees the way forward.

Everything I've heard about him suggests that Derby County is a passion of his and I guess he couldn't stand by and see us cease to exist when he had the means to save us.

Considering the dreadful situation we were left in this seems like the very best position we could wish for.

Thank goodness we have escaped the Kirchner circus. I, for one, was well and truly taken in by his energy and optimism and promises.

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’d also add, let’s wait for the takeover to happen and I suspect he will tell us what his plan is. Hopefully the days of us wildly speculating in the absence of solid info and communication are numbered. The Clowes statement was mature and informative in my view, delivered in the right way once there was something to share, I’m hoping that will be the case moving forward. 

Exactly this, he's decided he can afford the takeover and the fundung agreed under the EFL business plan.

Probably a realistic worst case is after the EFL restrictions end the ongoing funding is basically the same as it was under the plan whislt seeking a buyer to take us on.

Realistic best case, who knows, but likely to be in the slimmer championship budget range (based on nothing but me pulling it out my bottom).

In terms of IF (and the IF is pretty big considering the takeover isn't even done) DC only sees himself as a temporary custodian of the club until the current crisis has passed, it'd be a lot easier to sell with much reduced running costs, no "web of Mel" to untangle, no legal disputes to settle, no EFL sanctions to consider and a decent sized stadium to play in.

All I'm asking for from our new owner is to build a sustainable, self-funding football club by buying exciting players on high salaries at expensive fees. This can start by bringing in expensive former players that have failed with us, moved on and failed elsewhere, and are now magically available on free transfers. 

Maybe I've been reading too much Twitter.

Most of us wanted Ashley as he has deep pockets and we can complain if he does not "invest". Spending lots of money remains the most effective way to get promoted and always has been. Despite seemingly well-run clubs like Brentford and Brighton doing well, this will not last (see Swansea, Burnley, Bournemouth, West Brom, Sheff Utd etc.)

Forest have had a magnificent season and if anybody wants to tell me what the Forest model is than I'd be interested to know. I'd say it's spend lots of money, a few dodgy loans/buys/sales, sack your manager and then hire another one until it works out. 

4 minutes ago, curb said:

At this point in the process, yes. If he’s got enough to save us from the imminent disaster that is liquidation, then anything else is a bonus. How would you feel if you went into Curry’s to buy a telly and they asked to see your bank account to make sure you can afford to fund Sky TV and Netflix for the next ten years?

Love that analogy. You’re telling me I should just be grateful I have a TV in the first place (which I obviously am). All I’m asking the man in Currys is what channels it has on it. I think it’s a fair question. 

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Go and research yourself if you really want to know what he's worth. 

Why has it rattled you so much that I have asked how much he is worth? It’s a fair question anyone should ask about literally anyone who would attempt to buy this club. 

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

All for healthy debate and discussion, I get why you asked the questions, my view is we’ll find out in due course. Morris had money and threw it around causing all manner of chaos in the end, Clowes may repeat those mistakes or do something completely different, we’ll have to wait and see. 
What I want to see is the club ran sustainably, carry on being a big fish in a smaller pond until we’re definitely ready to go up through the leagues. I don’t fancy being premier league whipping boys again anytime soon, that at least looks likely not to happen for a looooong time. 

Totally agree with you, low budget and sustainable has got to be the way forward for us after everything that’s come. In a way, it’s probably got to shadow the Nigel Clough years. 

Maybe he could be persuaded back in some capacity? Even if it’s just to cause a meltdown on this forum. 

Edited by Nuwtfly

7 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Yes I believe you are correct B4 , we won't go pop. I guess I was just trying to convey that message to NUWTFLY , he seemed to be worrying that DC wouldn't be able to afford to buy our club and run it too.  Lets just wait fof the announcement that he's bought us. I suspect all will become clear at that point. 

And thanks for all your positive posts keeping our chins up in these testing times .

Again, you infer something that I have neither said nor believe. 

I’m not sure why someone asking how much money a prospective Derby County owner has got has ruffled your feathers.

8 hours ago, Curtains said:

When will soap opera come to an end .

The soap opera run by the EFL .

Its worse than Eastenders which I turn off as soon as that bloody music starts 

Listening to the Latham led debate, it’s noticeable how many M.P’s of both sides were piling into the EFL.

The Crouch review will unravel their power, just a matter of time.

Just now, Zag zig said:

Listening to the Latham led debate, it’s noticeable how many M.P’s of both sides were piling into the EFL.

The Crouch review will unravel their power, just a matter of time.

What been said in the commons.