The Administration Thread

Boycie

6 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

So long as we are sold as a going concern, I'll be happy that Ashley isn't the new owner.

I imagine that he's pulled out for the same reason as Kirchner..... Because the indications from the Administrators are that he's not the preferred bidder. So, rather than be seen as "losing the race", they throw in some "frustration dig".

Yes. But he could still stay in the race if he wanted to, in case others drop out. He is tight wad everyone knows that though. .  

41 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Convenient he has withdrawn his bid now the biggest obstacle could be removed & he is likely not going to be the PB as his bid is lower than the Binnies - what did he expect? The admins to take his lower off because of his name?

Its like me bidding 150k on a 200k house & when someone bids the asking price I pull out of the race even though I was never going to get the house

I’m sceptical he was ever officially in or has officially made a bid. Having said that i’’m also sceptical the sun article is true. If Ashley had bid and was withdrawing it, it would be on sky sports for sure. 

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

...I think owners have always been the same. But now thanks to the commercial titan that is the Premier League/Champions League the game attracts all kinds of snake oil salesman and billionaire hipsters. As well as naïve businessman who think on pitch results can be controlled by practices they implemented in their other ventures...

This.

Do you think Longson was doing it for the love of the game?

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What ruined football was the marketing machine. 

I think owners have always been the same. But now thanks to the commercial titan that is the Premier League/Champions League the game attracts all kinds of snake oil salesman and billionaire hipsters. As well as naive businessman who think on pitch results can be controlled by practices they implemented in their other ventures

With the Internet and streaming services etc etc football is able to draw in an audience like never before. And in England the Premier League has been packaged and sold to the mainstream audience. To the casual fan. 

It's like Boxing. 2 YouTubers fight and the viewing figures are insane. 2 top super lightweights fight for a UK record breaking undisputed title fight and its not even televised in the UK.

The way the Premier League works isn't for the purists. It casts its net over a wider audience and knows the real money doesn't come from match tickets. But it comes from subscriptions, from advertising, from getting bums on seats in living rooms as much as stadiums. It's packaged for TV audiences as an experience. 

But it was the Premier League and Sky that forged that path. The rest of football has been playing catch up ever since. 

Clubs like Derby are irrelevant. They're an undercard on a boxing show. They're not part of the marketing machine. 

Derby can die because they are "protected" by the EFL. A pathetic organisation that can't stand on its own 2 feet, can't protect its clubs and can't offer them a way to compete with the top clubs. 

Leicester can't die. They're protected by the Premier League. An organisation that draws money and interest from all the globe. A League that offers clubs everything possible to bounce back even if relegated. A league that will tell the world that Leicester are far far more exciting and interesting than Derby, Forest, Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United etc. 

And people drink it in. Bournemouth v Fulham or Burnley v Leicester? What's going to sell? Which one is packaged with those legendary pundits, theatrical music and whatever bells and whistles attached.

If you think "I've been going to Derby for 50 years" matters then you're deluded. 

You matter if you press the red button on your remote, if you subscribe to watch Gilette offer the closest shave ever, if you're 1m Chinese kids who's views attract 1bn pounds worth of advertising from Chinese companies.

The Premier League setting itself apart was a death and rebirth of football. And we see to a lesser extent the Champions League. 

The greed almost reached a new level when the PPV clubs decided they could go off and do it all again without minor inconveniences such as relegation and being kicked by Burnley

Well said, i don't suscribe to sky sport, my only interest in football is the rams and england occasionally. If we go under i will be finished with football.

Out of interest I wandered onto a Derby County thread on a Middlesbrough forum. Unsurprisingly they seem to have the view that Steve Gibson is an honest owner who plays by the rules and Mel Morris is a dishonest owner who cheats. When someone mentions Steve Gibson moving profit around his different companies to keep Middlesbrough the right side of P&S/FFP (as referenced in Mel Morris’ statement on Friday) they say it is normal business practice. But so is what Mel Morris did at Derby with amortisation! I can’t see the difference other than the EFL worked a charge against Derby (to avoid being sued by Middlesbrough) and Mel Morris put Derby into administration. It is not a big stretch to see a set of circumstances where the EFL could have worked a charge against Middlesbrough and Steve Gibson put Middlesbrough into administration. I guess the Middlesbrough fans only know some elements of the Derby story and are fed propoganda from the North East? But the difference in their views of Steve Gibson and Mel Morris were to me quite shocking.

(I am no fan of Mel Morris by the way, he is still the root cause of Derby’s current issues).

26 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

So long as we are sold as a going concern, I'll be happy that Ashley isn't the new owner.

I imagine that he's pulled out for the same reason as Kirchner..... Because the indications from the Administrators are that he's not the preferred bidder. So, rather than be seen as "losing the race", they throw in some "frustration dig".

Who knows if he's even pulled out? To be honest, given where we're coming from right now, I'd have Attila the Hun own the club and in Ashley's defence, he was good for Newcastle, despite the complaints of their whiny, entitled fanbase. I'm not opposed to him in an way really, especially having thought Morris was going to be the dog's nads. Seems I'm not the best judge of an owner after all. I just want to see an end to men of vast wealth horse-trading the club's future. The club and its fanbase are worth more than that.

21 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

If it is possible for Middle Borough and Wycombe to take on Morris then if they turn down the opportunity then the EFL should be looking at their claims and asking why they don’t want to go to court.

But if Mel is so willing to blur the lines around the whole situation, then HMRC could reasonably ask why he’s not willing to wade in and pay the outstanding tax debt. 
honestly, I think it’s all hot air from Morris. Surely you can’t pick and choose which of your outstanding liabilities you want to satisfy when you’ve put the club into administration? 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Come on now myself and the other posters who picked up on the comment aren't anymore insightful than anyone else on here.

It would appear you are, How many picked Kath up, You and a n other, A couple of aplause, Back off aye, Or i'll bring politics into this.