Ashes 2021-22

Stagtime

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Still rubbish then?

I'm not even going to bother to find out how the batters got out.

Back to sleep.. 

Crawley was out for 12, and so actually managed to enhance his batting average for the year.

Root on the other hand got another 50, which means this year he has now scored more runs by far than any other Englishman in any other calendar year in history. What does that say about our other batsmen? 

I'd strip Root of the captaincy, but unfortunately there's no obvious candidate to replace him. Of the current squad, I'd only look at Butler, but he's not a test standard keeper in my eyes.

I do feel for Root though. He's not awful in the skipper's role, he's just not very good and in fairness, his own form has been excellent this year and he has carried a very poor and seemingly weak-minded squad squarely on his back. It seems unfair that he gets so much flak when he is the only one performing, but I suppose the buck stops with him. Part of my reasoning for removing him from the role would be to take him out of that glaring spotlight. I'd have no such reservations whatsoever over sacking the remaining selectors though, who could not really do a worse job even if they were they trying to.

I'd say the same about the ECB who have relentlessly undermined Test cricket in this country for years now. They endlessly prattle on about grass roots initiatives, yet sacrifice the purest form of the game at every juncture in favour of increasingly baseball-like derivatives. I'd also question the quality of coaching when I see us persisting with the likes of Burns when his technique is so obviously flawed. It's not as if this is even a recent problem. I used to love going to Lords and the Oval to watch England, but I'd not waste a penny on that now. It make me quite sad to see what I view as the death throes of long format cricket in this country. I do enjoy some of the short format stuff to a point, but IMO, it can never match the theatre that Test cricket can provide. I also hate to see us humiliated by an Aussie side that I isn't even that good. 

Ah well, soon be Christmas...

So we get them 4 down for 110..pace bowlers causing them no end of problems.. so what does Root do after Lunch? He brings on Leach bowling to 2 left handers to the most defensive field you could ever see..another prime example of how totally clueless Root is as a captain.