Ashes 2021-22

Stagtime

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Cook did OK but did have easier times for the most part. Strauss was a properly good captain.

Cook was just a bit too conservative - cost us a few wins by delaying declarations, not being particularly adventurous in his field settings... 

Mind, what I would give for a top order of cook, Strauss and trott..... ?

Root is a woeful captain..always has been..when things go wrong he just stands there with a glazed expression and does nothing..I was fully expecting a 5-0 thrashing before a ball was bowled..I mean this Aussie team are not that good either but we have been on a downward spiral for some time..batsmen are mainly not good enough with the odd exception, and the mental toughness is non existent in too many of them.

Great to see Malan and Root putting some pride back into the England performance.

I’m pleased for the supporters who are there because the first two and a half days must have been pretty miserable.

Not getting carried away because Australia will come back fit and fresh tomorrow and two early wickets would put them firmly in control, but at least we have a squeak and the game will last four days!

8 hours ago, Yani P said:

Root is a woeful captain..always has been..when things go wrong he just stands there with a glazed expression and does nothing..I was fully expecting a 5-0 thrashing before a ball was bowled..I mean this Aussie team are not that good either but we have been on a downward spiral for some time..batsmen are mainly not good enough with the odd exception, and the mental toughness is non existent in too many of them.

You’re right about Root being a poor on-field captain. He seems to do the opposite of what makes sense almost to prove he’s some kind of maverick genius.

Unimaginative fielding positions, too defensive.

But what a batsman!

Interestingly poised

Australia’s luck has seemingly run out whilst England have found some after nothing going their way the past two days.

Realistically it’ll go back Australia’s way tomorrow but a relatively inexperienced ashes side with little preparation are being competitive here.

We all questioned Root’s squad selection/captaincy here but maybe wait and see where we are at tomorrow. A good morning session tomorrow and it’s a completely different perspective 

Wasn't expecting to wake up to that score. Roots' qualities as a batsman are obvious but they shouldn't obscure his poor captaincy. Leachs' dismal figures in the Aussie first innings might prove to be the crucial difference between the two teams - he should have been taken out of the attack as soon as he was being belted all around the ground.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Wasn't expecting to wake up to that score. Roots' qualities as a batsman are obvious but they shouldn't obscure his poor captaincy. Leachs' dismal figures in the Aussie first innings might prove to be the crucial difference between the two teams - he should have been taken out of the attack as soon as he was being belted all around the ground.

Poor old Leach shouldn’t have been in the squad, let alone the team. He must feel he’s won some type of fan competition. His bowling wouldn’t scare any test nation. 
We should have been bold enough to select Liam Livingstone, bat him at number eight where he can have a bash and utilise his flexible bowling. Should also have convinced Advil Rashid to tour. You have to have wicket takers in Australia.

29 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Poor old Leach shouldn’t have been in the squad, let alone the team. He must feel he’s won some type of fan competition. His bowling wouldn’t scare any test nation. 
We should have been bold enough to select Liam Livingstone, bat him at number eight where he can have a bash and utilise his flexible bowling. Should also have convinced Advil Rashid to tour. You have to have wicket takers in Australia.

This option could've eased our pain.