Stupid goal kicks

BatRam

3 minutes ago, TomSaint said:

Please can someone tell me what them stupid goal kicks are about? 
where Davies kicks it to Roos under pressure from opposition for him to then lump it upfield? He can literally lump it upfield without any pressure if he didn’t do the pass in the first place ??

Wayne explained it partly, post-match: it’s about drawing the opposition midfield out of shape. Wayne has told them to keep working on it despite the vitriolic fan disapproval. I must say, it looks like schoolboy football in a “car crash about to happen” scenario. I myself was coached in the % game and as a coach I wouldn’t allow that sort of defensive risk …but I’m no Wayne Rooney. 

At least when questioned about it on Radio Derby post-match, when the ignorant interviewer blamed the players, Rooney corrected him and said it was all on him (Rooney) and that he was ordering the players to do this, believing that although players will sometimes make mistakes trying to implement the instructions, we benefit in the long run from this. I would say Rooney is an utter fool and it's a total nonsense, but sadly there was zero indication he was going to stop making the players play in such an idiotic fashion.

It was stupid as the Bournemouth players were too close. Was too risky. I think the idea is to draw the attackers in and then two attackers have been taken out after the next pass- to another defender. If it works, Bournemouth have 2 players taken out the match while we start an attack. I think on this occasion there was too much danger and the goalkeeper has to be able to control the ball perfectly!

The only other teams I’ve seen do it are the Italian national team and some Serie A teams. It can be effective with players who are comfortable on the ball under pressure, but today the Bournemouth press was quick and effective and a sloppy touch from Roos cost us a goal.

I don’t mind the thought behind it, but we need to have a plan B if we are facing a strong pressing team. Aka hoof.

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Wayne explained it partly, post-match: it’s about drawing the opposition midfield out of shape. Wayne has told them to keep working on it despite the vitriolic fan disapproval. I must say, it looks like schoolboy football in a “car crash about to happen” scenario. I myself was coached in the % game and as a coach I wouldn’t allow that sort of defensive risk …but I’m no Wayne Rooney. 

But the midfield don’t move ? Literally 2 forwards sit on edge of box and press as soon as Davies kicks it. I don’t mind passing out from the back if it’s done correctly. Time and a place.  Not when of the most pressing teams is literally on edge of ya box ? and they just hoof it anyway ?‍♂️Just seems strange. I’ve not seen any advantage from it ? Only seen it decimate Roos confidence when he concedes daft goals ?

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

At least when questioned about it on Radio Derby post-match, when the ignorant interviewer blamed the players, Rooney corrected him and said it was all on him (Rooney) and that he was ordering the players to do this, believing that although players will sometimes make mistakes trying to implement the instructions, we benefit in the long run from this. I would say Rooney is an utter fool and it's a total nonsense, but sadly there was zero indication he was going to stop making the players play in such an idiotic fashion.

I’m glad he came out and said it’s his idea.

The number of people claiming it was the players stupid idea was crazy.

Do they honestly think Curtis and Roos got together in training and said “I’ve got a great idea for the weekend, we’ll pass the goal kick along the six yard box and we’ll do it even though we’ve been told not to”?

Mercy!

1 minute ago, roboto said:

The only other teams I’ve seen do it are the Italian national team and some Serie A teams. It can be effective with players who are comfortable on the ball under pressure, but today the Bournemouth press was quick and effective and a sloppy touch from Roos cost us a goal.

I don’t mind the thought behind it, but we need to have a plan B if we are facing a strong pressing team. Aka hoof.

I’ve never seen it. Is it successful abroad ? 

1 minute ago, roboto said:

City do it but that’s because anyone except Liverpool are or crazy enough to put two strikers on the edge ready to pounce.

Also - it’s not like we’re going to use ravishing speed beyond their defence for a quick break.

The alternative is though a big kick up field - where 90% of the time we will give possession away.

8 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

It was stupid as the Bournemouth players were too close. Was too risky. I think the idea is to draw the attackers in and then two attackers have been taken out after the next pass- to another defender. If it works, Bournemouth have 2 players taken out the match while we start an attack. I think on this occasion there was too much danger and the goalkeeper has to be able to control the ball perfectly!

But by kicking it long (which they do anyway after they’ve done the daft pass) it goes over the opposition players taking them out the game anyway ??‍♂️

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

City do it but that’s because anyone except Liverpool are or crazy enough to put two strikers on the edge ready to pounce.

Also - it’s not like we’re going to use ravishing speed beyond their defence for a quick break.

The alternative is though a big kick up field - where 90% of the time we will give possession away.

But it never works thus giving possession away anyway ? I’d rather hoof it away from danger and let kazim hold it uptop for 10mins ?

Fair enough, do it if the other team aren't immediately pressing - but if they are, it makes no sense.

There's a load of potential risks: a small risk of a very bad thing happening (ie today) and a large risk of a not-particularly-terrible-but-still-bad thing happening (aimless hurried clearance by the goalie or defender). 

I guess you weigh that against the chance of something good coming from it, but really: how much gain, for how much potential pain? How 'pulled out of position' are they, really, and how many goals or scoring opportunities has this created v things like the completely unnecessary goal today?

2 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Fair enough, do it if the other team aren't immediately pressing - but if they are, it makes no sense.

There's a load of potential risks: a small risk of a very bad thing happening (ie today) and a large risk of a not-particularly-terrible-but-still-bad thing happening (aimless hurried clearance by the goalie or defender). 

I guess you weigh that against the chance of something good coming from it, but really: how much gain, for how much potential pain? How 'pulled out of position' are they, really, and how many goals or scoring opportunities has this created v things like the completely unnecessary goal today?

I’d understand muckin about with it if we was a good enough team to go out and get plenty of goals. But risking it in your own area when we only score 1 goal a game is daft . I’d love to know how many times passing from the back has lead to opposition goals 

16 minutes ago, TomSaint said:

I’ve never seen it. Is it successful abroad ? 

It keeps possession, but as has also been mentioned, isn’t likely to launch a quick attack.

The more standard modern option is the keeper plays it cohort to a CB who can then pass short or kick long. I think our variation is meant to make use of Roos’ usually good distribution to Forsyth/Buchanan on the left wing if the play it from the back option is not on.

However, this time an unfortunate heavy touch got punished.

49 minutes ago, TomSaint said:

But by kicking it long (which they do anyway after they’ve done the daft pass) it goes over the opposition players taking them out the game anyway ??‍♂️

Ah yes and usually ends up with their team having the ball! I like the long kicks to the wing. Don’t mind short passes from the back but that time it didn’t seem right to try it 

1 hour ago, Seaside Ram said:

While we are at it , why don’t teams put players on posts at corners anymore  ? I saw at least 3 goals in the prem yesterday that would’ve been prevented ! 

IMHO another daft innovation of modern coaching. The idea is that it becomes much easier to push out and play offside after a corner  because you don't start with 2 defenders on your own goal line. Serves all there smarty pants right whenever the ball trickles into the corner of the goal at quarter of a mile an hour when there's no one standing by the post to clear it.