Stupid goal kicks

BatRam

16 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

81 games, Championship, FA Cup, EFL Cup since Jan 2014...add plenty more to your 1 mistake.

What goalkeeper doesn't make mistakes? The best keepers in the world make mistakes, Alisson had a stinker vs West Ham the other week but is still one of the world's best.

I like playing out from the back but not a fan of a CH taking the goal kick to the keeper - and it doesn’t matter who the keeper is.  My principal is never pass the ball back to the keeper between the posts in case of a mistake.  If it’s the goal kick your open to a mistake like yesterday, if it’s a normal back pass the ball could bobble, roll under the keepers foot, etc and lead to a goal.  I’d much prefer the keep takes the kick out wide to a defender.  There’s less chance of a goal if you lose possession and the keeper is in the right position.

I’m not a fan of it but there has been times we’ve used it good effect but people don’t remember those, they remember the mistakes.

As for yesterday, Roos’ first touch was fine his second he knocked it too far ahead of himself, it was very sloppy and a complete error on Roos’ part. For once the mistake didn’t cost us.

Clearly this is the way we’re playing, it hasn’t been the reason for the majority of goals we’ve conceded and contributed to a lot of our good play this season. That’s been players switching off not staying with runners, not marking properly and not blocking crosses with the odd keeping error mixed in. However, our main issue has been not making the right decisions in the final third and not scoring enough goals. That’s why we’re where we are (oh and the -21 points)

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

What goalkeeper doesn't make mistakes? The best keepers in the world make mistakes, Alisson had a stinker vs West Ham the other week but is still one of the world's best.

Here's a conundrum for you, Try and solve it.

Alisson...Frequenty

Roos...Frequenty

I'm not a fan of the tactic, but if we must do it, then why doesn't Davies just tap the ball to Roos who would be standing alongside him. This prevents the likelyhood of a poor Davies pass and poor Roos control, it would be almost like Roos just touching a little goalkick to himself. It will also give Roos more time with the ball before a striker can close him down. I noticed on the replay that by the time Davies' pass had reached Roos, the striker was half way to closing him down and therefore putting greater pressure on him.

My favourite tactic is winning a free kick or throw-in well up the park and then going backwards. Baldock worked hard to earn us a throw-in yesterday, about level with their penalty box. I said to my dog that Roos will touch this before anyone in our forward line-up and 7 passes later Roos was booting it over the top of Buchanan’s head. The dog and I tutted simultaneously. Lovely moment.

20 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

While we are at it , why don’t teams put players on posts at corners anymore  ? I saw at least 3 goals in the prem yesterday that would’ve been prevented ! 

It is because of the all-in wrestling match which takes place at every corner and every free-kick. The title tells us that everybody has to be involved in the wrestling, so there is no-one spare to stand at the goalposts.

9 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it a donkey

Rooneys response to the question is as stupid as my horse turning into a donkey, It just doesn't make sense, Having 2 centre backs plus our keeper playing a short ball on the 6 yard line when there are 2 attackers on the 18 yard line waiting to pounce.

But hey what do I know, Not even the new offside rule...which is an Ass!

To mix metaphors in terms of footballing skills we are we are trying to run a race of thoroughbreds using donkeys or carthorses. That may be insulting our central defenders because they do many things really well. But when they have the ball at their feet they are no George Best.

36 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can't believe Rooney hasn't yet instructed Davies to volley the ball back to Roos who then executes a perfect scorpion kick to Jagielka who then performs a rabona to Shinnie and starts the attacking move off.

I can't think that would work very well, unlike the current tactics which work well for us most of the time. Do you know of any tactics that work well 100% of the time, you could let Wayne know if so.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can't think that would work very well, unlike the current tactics which work well for us most of the time. Do you know of any tactics that work well 100% of the time, you could let Wayne know if so.

Oh golly humour bypass.

Won't try to post anything with a hint of levity in it in future for fear of offending someone.

17 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

My favourite tactic is winning a free kick or throw-in well up the park and then going backwards. Baldock worked hard to earn us a throw-in yesterday, about level with their penalty box. I said to my dog that Roos will touch this before anyone in our forward line-up and 7 passes later Roos was booting it over the top of Buchanan’s head. The dog and I tutted simultaneously. Lovely moment.

I'm no dog lover, (nor dog-hater, I might add) but that brought a tear to my eye.  It sounds beautiful.

I'm picturing something muscly.  Proud chest.  A fine jawline, stately gait, and an overall very well groomed appearance. 

... and as for the dog... 

ba-dum-tss.gif