Stupid goal kicks

BatRam

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Exactly.

Where are the four equivalent threads examining why Jason Knight failed to shoot first time when he had a great chance laid on a plate for him? Oh, but he played well the rest of the game and scored a goal too. (So did Kelle Roos and he made other decent stops.)

It really bugs me, this micro-analysis of every aspect of Roos' game. Allsop was getting it after only three games too. 

Obsession isn't healthy.

Next week, someone else will make a mistake which leads to a goal, and until the next error by somebody else, that player will be 'scapegoat of the week'.

13 hours ago, roboto said:

The only other teams I’ve seen do it are the Italian national team and some Serie A teams. It can be effective with players who are comfortable on the ball under pressure, but today the Bournemouth press was quick and effective and a sloppy touch from Roos cost us a goal.

I don’t mind the thought behind it, but we need to have a plan B if we are facing a strong pressing team. Aka hoof.

Arsenal have been doing it this season too. It can work, but without players capable of that style, it's just an error waiting to happen. Even if Roos could cope with it, he doesn't have the passing ability for it to give us any sort of advantage.

Disagree on your plan B though, i don't ever want to see hoof ball again after last year. ?

7 minutes ago, Beetle said:

If anyone went to the open training session and watched the three keepers doing their pass and control exercise it is obvious to see they are not up to it.

I see why tactically we woud want to, paticularly with the squad we have, but the keepers are not good enough. This is being proven in most of the matches we play.

The best outlet we have for the keeper is when Forsyth pushes up high.

This is it in a nutshell with the addition that the CB’s aren’t good enough with their passing either which is fine given their level of ability.

We have decent keepers by the division standard (they aren’t as useless as some try to make out).

However when you push players to and beyond their technical limit with a more demanding tactic, then errors will happen on a regular basis.

Also the more time the keeper has possession of the ball at their feet then the increased chance of mistakes. Our goalkeepers must have one of the highest possession rates in the division!

And people wonder why they make mistakes when they have so much possession?

I always wonder how well some of the great keepers from the 70s and 80s would cope with the on the ball demands of playing in our team?

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

(So did Kelle Roos and he made other decent stops.)

It really bugs me, this micro-analysis of every aspect of Roos' game. Allsop was getting it after only three games too. 

The problem is that Roos is only good at shot stopping though. He struggles with concentration, commanding his area, talking to the defence, aerial ability, distribution. To be a good GK you have to have a much more rounded game than he has. Whilst Allsop is probably not as good at shot stopping, he is better in other areas.

4 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

The problem is that Roos is only good at shot stopping though. He struggles with concentration, commanding his area, talking to the defence, aerial ability, distribution. To be a good GK you have to have a much more rounded game than he has. Whilst Allsop is probably not as good at shot stopping, he is better in other areas.

That's all in your opinion and I don't agree with you. 

I think making in the teens of post about the same issue every time anyone disagrees with you is obsessive.

You're not going to convince me to change my mind that Kelle Roos is a decent championship keeper who does a good job for us and has generally played very well this season. He'll make  few mistakes, but so will others.

You've had you say, now let it rest and enjoy the win.

30 minutes ago, angieram said:

You're not going to convince me to change my mind that Kelle Roos is a decent championship keeper who does a good job for us and has generally played very well this season. He'll make  few mistakes, but so will others.

You've had you say, now let it rest and enjoy the win.

I agree totally, I get abuse on twitter all the time for backing Roos because I don't think he's a bad keeper. Saw a tweet last night saying he's the worst keeper in our history and people we agreeing with it. If that was the case, why do our last 3 managers keep playing Roos after signing other keepers too?

Our fans expect too much from a goalkeeper, we're in the championship and our fans are expecting our keepers to be good at every aspect of goalkeeping. Even keepers in the prem aren't good at everything. 

I think it's a poor tactic and have said so on numerous occasions. What happened on Sunday was inevitable.

People defending it are equating it with us playing from the back - but it's not. You would not pass from one defender to another if there were two attackers poised to pounce on the recipient. So, if you wouldn't do it to an outfield player, why put the goalkeeper under such pressure?

And, if the tactic is to put the ball into space behind the opposition attackers - that was already created by them all standing at the edge of the penalty area waiting in hungry anticipation.

If Rooney insists they do it - and clearly he does because they continued in the second half - at least coach the players on when it's safe to do it and when to look for other options.

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I agree totally, I get abuse on twitter all the time for backing Roos because I don't think he's a bad keeper. Saw a tweet last night saying he's the worst keeper in our history and people we agreeing with it. If that was the case, why do our last 3 managers keep playing Roos after signing other keepers too?

Our fans expect too much from a goalkeeper, we're in the championship and our fans are expecting our keepers to be good at every aspect of goalkeeping. Even keepers in the prem aren't good at everything. 

Yeah, the abuse of all our goalkeepers and Roos, in particular, is completely out of order.

He makes mistakes....all goalkeepers do. They always have and always will; it's the nature of the position that those mistakes will be magnified. There have been far bigger howlers than those mistakes by Roos.

Roos is a better than average Championship keeper - and I think he is the best of the options that we have available.

Up front is where our priorities should lie.

I actually like it, it was the first time we were caught out this week and that was due to a poor touch more than anything. I prefer it when we mix it up a bit though. Hit the channels a bit then play short or play short from the keeper. Wayne is right we have created more space when we do it because both strikers normally press which take there first line of defence out of the equation. 

17 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, the abuse of all our goalkeepers and Roos, in particular, is completely out of order.

1. He makes mistakes....all goalkeepers do. They always have and always will; it's the nature of the position that those mistakes will be magnified. There have been far bigger howlers than those mistakes by Roos.

2. Roos is a better than average Championship keeper - and I think he is the best of the options that we have available.

Up front is where our priorities should lie.

1. Yes all keepers make mistakes, But it's the frequency of those mistakes which is a rally for supporters to give him "abuse"

2. All about opinions, I disagree, He's been dropped several times since that infamous Wembley game, As for other Managers picking him, There's a reason for that, Cash was for others positions, Freebies is all we could get, Hence Allsop being here.

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

1. Yes all keepers make mistakes, But it's the frequency of those mistakes which is a rally for supporters to give him "abuse"

2. All about opinions, I disagree, He's been dropped several times since that infamous Wembley game, As for other Managers picking him, There's a reason for that, Cash was for others positions, Freebies is all we could get, Hence Allsop being here.

1) He's made one mistake. image.png.122d4ab1bf8f96e245516a5cd422123c.png

2) Been dropped a couple of times, each time, how did that go?

15 hours ago, TomSaint said:

Please can someone tell me what them stupid goal kicks are about? 
where Davies kicks it to Roos under pressure from opposition for him to then lump it upfield? He can literally lump it upfield without any pressure if he didn’t do the pass in the first place ??

Yep

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

You forget that any potentially savable shot that goes in against Roos, is also classed as a "mistake" by the boo boys to help with their narrative.

100%, every goal that he concedes he gets criticism that he should've saved it, no matter if it was a 20 yard screamer into the top corner. I saw someone say, after he made a great save, "why should he get praised for making a save, that's what he's meant to do" it's embarrassing.

18 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

I actually like it, it was the first time we were caught out this week and that was due to a poor touch more than anything. I prefer it when we mix it up a bit though. Hit the channels a bit then play short or play short from the keeper. Wayne is right we have created more space when we do it because both strikers normally press which take there first line of defence out of the equation. 

Yep. We need to keep possession and we are a team of smallish players, always lumping it long is not the way. So it's just down to getting the balance of play right. We mostly do.