Keeping fans safe at EFL matches

Beetle

9 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I’m talking about DCFC’s “Covid-19 Supporters Code of Conduct”:

5. Supporters are advised to wear a face mask, face covering or face visor within the concourse, toilets and walking to their seats.

If that is no longer advised by the club, then they need to update their terms & conditions, so we all know what is expected of us?  
At the very least, change the wording to something that suggests it is merely their preference?  (If indeed that is the case?)

Totally agree that it’s down to each individual to decide whether to attend or not.  Not sure that’s even an issue, as I’m not aware of anyone attending against their will?  

I think the word “advised” is the key point. You can choose to act on their advice or not, making it a preference.
I think if you look under flares etc it will be fans are prohibited from entry with a flares. 

My point is more, if you were worried about covid I don’t think people wearing a mask in the concourse would make them feel safer overall, as your about to stand in close proximity with a large group of people anyway. Making the whole mask in concourse debate trivial. There really is no point. 

In society I genuinely feel masks will be here to stay in some settings- eg 

crowded public transport

Hospitals 

doctors 

City centre supermarkets 

football stadiums… 90 minutes in close proximity to 10-20 people sat around you isn’t going to be ofset by a 2 minute walk to your seat through the concourse. - unless of course you sit the whole game with it on. 

8 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

I think the word “advised” is the key point. You can choose to act on their advice or not, making it a preference.
I think if you look under flares etc it will be fans are prohibited from entry with a flares. 

My point is more, if you were worried about covid I don’t think people wearing a mask in the concourse would make them feel safer overall, as your about to stand in close proximity with a large group of people anyway. Making the whole mask in concourse debate trivial. There really is no point. 

crowded public transport

Hospitals 

doctors 

City centre supermarkets 

football stadiums… 90 minutes in close proximity to 10-20 people sat around you isn’t going to be ofset by a 2 minute walk to your seat through the concourse. - unless of course you sit the whole game with it on. 

I agree the word “advised” is the key point. They can state little more, under the current circumstances. Similar to the country pub I entered last night. Nobody else in there acted on the advertised advice/request, other than staff. (There were 4 people waiting to be served/being served at the bar, and six sat at tables).

I took mine off as I approached the bar, with enough volume to my comment “Oh, not bothering then?”  It drew attention, and no doubt derision once I’d ordered and headed back out to the garden.

Very few appear to be heeding said advice/requests… which is of course their prerogative. 
As I understand it (rightly or wrongly?) my mask is more to protect others than myself?  I’m now getting to the stage where the protection of others is becoming less important to me, and less of a consideration, as each day passes. 
That last statement alone saddens me!  

There has been no evidence that recent major events including the TRNSMT festival have sparked a spike in Covid cases, the national clinical director has said. Prof Leitch said he had been helping to prepare advice for Scottish government ministers on the introduction of vaccine passports.

He said it was "up to politicians what they did with the information" but that "vaccinated crowds are safer than unvaccinated crowds".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58581828

As I said before but I think it was 'hidden' I'd rather fans were double-jabbed for safety.

Edited by RoyMac5

If I was significantly immuno suppressed I wouldn't be going to matches tbh just because of the issues in the concourse and the general colds etc. that people have but still go to matches. However, most people are now double jabbed so if you're not immuno suppressed there's little reason not to be going to matches. for me. If you've been double jabbed and you're out in the open air then the risk of transmission at least in seating is going to be substantially smaller than in many other venues such as pubs, clubs etc. 

I personally don't wear a mask as they're quite uncomfortable and make it feel like it's tricky to breathe after it's been on for more than a few minutes. 

On 15/09/2021 at 22:07, Gritstone Ram said:

I noticed that in the bogs the markings on the floor the left foot is on the right and right on the left. I reckon they’re either poor design or seconds.

They bought a job lot cheap from New Zealand, who didn't need them.

As water runs the opposite way down the plughole there, so their feet work the opposite way round.

Glad to clear that up.

On 14/09/2021 at 23:56, rammieib said:

There are those who are just getting on with life, and those who are still scared to venture out. Not a criticism, that's what the media has done but no way will we ever see a mask at a football game again.

Personally, I put mine on before I enter the stadium, keep it on throughout the match and only take it off when I'm clear of the crowds back outside the ground. There are very few other supporters who do likewise but I wouldn't be going at all otherwise as I'm in the second most clinically vulnerable group. It's not necessarily about preventing getting COVID altogether (which with the Delta variant now predominant is pretty unlikely unfortunately), it's about reducing your viral load (and therefore the risk of serious illness) if you do get infected. 

There are over four times as many people in hospital with COVID now as there were this time last year and we all know what happened last winter. It's either take relatively painless precautions like wearing a mask now or accept the inevitability of yet another lockdown this winter which will potentially mean going back to watching matches on RamsTV instead of at Pride Park.

13 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Personally, I put mine on before I enter the stadium, keep it on throughout the match and only take it off when I'm clear of the crowds back outside the ground. There are very few other supporters who do likewise but I wouldn't be going at all otherwise as I'm in the second most clinically vulnerable group. It's not necessarily about preventing getting COVID altogether (which with the Delta variant now predominant is pretty unlikely unfortunately), it's about reducing your viral load (and therefore the risk of serious illness) if you do get infected. 

There are over four times as many people in hospital with COVID now as there were this time last year and we all know what happened last winter. It's either take relatively painless precautions like wearing a mask now or accept the inevitability of yet another lockdown this winter which will potentially mean going back to watching matches on RamsTV instead of at Pride Park.

Well for me thousands of people dont brother not just at pp but all other grounds dont brother wearing them perhaps 2 or 3 people at the most do.

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well for me thousands of people dont brother not just at pp but all other grounds dont brother wearing them perhaps 2 or 3 people at the most do.

Yes that's what I said myself B4 - hardly anyone does. But you've been more vocal than anyone about not being able to go to matches. SAGE are saying we either take light measures now, which include wearing masks in public spaces, or risk another extended Lockdown which could well mean no supporters at matches again.

There's a quote that's misattributed to Einstein - "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". I'm just suggesting maybe we shouldn't do that for a third time but I'm pretty sure we will. 

6 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Yes that's what I said myself B4 - hardly anyone does. But you've been more vocal than anyone about not being able to go to matches. SAGE are saying we either take light measures now, which include wearing masks in public spaces, or risk another extended Lockdown which could well mean no supporters at matches again.

There's a quote that's misattributed to Einstein - "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". I'm just suggesting maybe we shouldn't do that for a third time but I'm pretty sure we will. 

Well borris says there wont be another lockdown so people are calling there bluff now.

16 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

crowded public transport

Hospitals 

doctors 

City centre supermarkets 

Nobody wears them in shops anymore at all I notice that more and more now so football stadiums no different.

5 minutes ago, cjdlog said:

Masks don't have any material affect and the inference seems to be that the covid situation is worsening.  Cases are plummeting currently.

It's the publics duty to push back against unevidenced rules. This is akin to the scotch egg with a pint rule, it does nothing other than make us question legitimate rules. 

We are definitely going to hit 100,000 cases per day, maybe even as high as 200,000, I saw that from Neil Ferguson, the person in charge of modelling. 

Hospitalisations could reach between 2,000 and 8,000 per day SAGE have advised.

So just imagine how many lives wearing your mask in the concourse for 2 minutes is going to save!

11 minutes ago, cjdlog said:

Masks don't have any material affect and the inference seems to be that the covid situation is worsening.  Cases are plummeting currently.

It's the publics duty to push back against unevidenced rules. This is akin to the scotch egg with a pint rule, it does nothing other than make us question legitimate rules. 

Incoming ?