Hull City vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Yes for £10 

I’m away on holiday this week. What’s the best way to watch the game tomorrow?  Can I still pay £10 if I’m abroad?  I could tunnel back to the UK and pay a tenner if needs be.

The squad finally looks to have some depth, despite the injuries to Bielik, Knight and Kazim-Richards. Davies and Stearman have done well, but I think Jagielka is a better player. I hope Baldock is backup for Stretton in the first instance, rather than here to take his place. Is there a price to be paid by Jozwiak and Byrne for the two late goals conceded at Peterborough, or is that counter-productive? Is Buchanan fit again? 

I think Rooney will opt to go 5-3-2 with this lineup:

Roos

Stearman       Jagielka       Davies

Ebosele                                                          Buchanan

Bird      Morrison      Shinnie

Stretton     Lawrence

Subs: Allsopp  Byrne   Forsyth   Sibley   Watson   Baldock   Jozwiak  

Yet again it will be heartbreaking to see Louie Sibley wasted on the bench.

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The squad finally looks to have some depth, despite the injuries to Bielik, Knight and Kazim-Richards. Davies and Stearman have done well, but I think Jagielka is a better player. I hope Baldock is backup for Stretton in the first instance, rather than here to take his place. Is there a price to be paid by Jozwiak and Byrne for the two late goals conceded at Peterborough, or is that counter-productive? Is Buchanan fit again? 

Roos

Stretton     Lawrence

Is that an attempt at the worlds oldest 3 cb's in the same team ?

All change 

Roos

Stearman Jagielka Davies 

Bryne                                      Buchanan    
                      Shinnie 

Watson.         Morrison 

Stretton       Lawrence    

subs Allsop Baldock Ebosele Bird Sibley Forsyth Jozwiak 

In terms of what the line-up will actually be I think it's slightly hard to predict in a couple places. I'm confident we won't see a formation change as I think Rooney is still picking up the pieces for deploying how he actually wants to play. We will see something like this 

Roos

RB Jagielka Davies Buchanan*

Bird Shinnie

RW  Lawrence Morrison 

Baldock

*Assuming fit

The two positions I'm really not sure about are RB and RW. Byrne very likely keeps his place but I could see him getting dropped after being partially at fault for one goal and majorly at fault for the other. RW honestly is very hard to say; Ebosele got subbed early, Jozwiak has been completely off the boil and his role in the second goal will be held against him, Sibley doesn't seem to be trusted from the start and Watson isn't the right profile for what I think Rooney wants in that position. As an aside it will be harsh on Stretton and I wouldn't personally drop him but I think Rooney likely will as I think Baldock was earmarked as first choice in pre-season.

I’d play

Roos

Byrne    Davies.       Jagielka.    Forsyth

Shinnie    Morrison

Sibley

ebosele.           Stretton         Lawrence

One of my best mates is a Hull fan thinks they are going to come flying at us as its the only way the know how to play. I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet so lets go and try to score a few and back ourselves to beat them on our terms rather than trying to match the opposition for once.

1 hour ago, Kinder said:

I’m away on holiday this week. What’s the best way to watch the game tomorrow?  Can I still pay £10 if I’m abroad?  I could tunnel back to the UK and pay a tenner if needs be.

That’s dedication ! Not sure about abroad just know it’s a £10 from Blighty 

53 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The two positions I'm really not sure about are RB and RW. Byrne very likely keeps his place but I could see him getting dropped after being partially at fault for one goal and majorly at fault for the other. RW honestly is very hard to say; Ebosele got subbed early, 

I think Byrne hasn't been quite right for a while. He was poor at the end of last season after he got that nasty head injury and hasn't been great this one either.  Not sure if it's a lack of confidence or something else.  I also think with the way we're trying to play, having a winger like Ebosele doesn't really work - we're pushing the fullbacks right up to stretch the field, and create space for the attackers, but Ebosele stays wide himself, and just gets in Byrne's way and also doesn't really exploit the space we've created inside.  The brave answer is to play Ebosele at right back and let someone like Sibley play further forward and drift inside.  Would be a big call though.

Roos

Stearman  Davies  Jagielka

Ebosele                             Buchanan 

Shinnie 

Morrison             Lawrence 

Stretton       Sibley 

Something like that 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Roos

Stretton     Lawrence

It would be a travesty if Bird plays box to box over Watson or Sibley he's good for about 1 goal every 2 years and can't drive with the ball he definitely isn't the type of player you need in  a 5atb system where your midfield need to conpensate in attack for a lack of wingers. 

Maybe Shinnie plays box to box but thats not ideal either,  in that set up I'd go Sibley but I definitely wouldn't play Lawrence striker. Better off with a 523 

Probably best off putting in Sibley for Lawrence who I would look to get off the wage bill in our situation, Jagielka in for Stearman and then other than that the same lineup as against Peterborough bar Kazim. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

I'd drop stearman for Jagielka as in the first two games I've been pretty unconvinced by him. Jagielka in pre-season had better positional awareness to compensate for the lack of pace that should help us a little. Not sure I'd start Baldock over Stretton, Stretton allows us to play differently and I really really don't want to see that damn horseshoe tactic returning anytime soon. I'd probably go for a 2 of Shinnie and Morrison and a 3 of lawrence, Sibley and Ebosele but have them quite fluid ensuring they're both hard to pick up and a lack of reliance on any 1 particular player. 

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think Byrne hasn't been quite right for a while. He was poor at the end of last season after he got that nasty head injury and hasn't been great this one either.  Not sure if it's a lack of confidence or something else.  I also think with the way we're trying to play, having a winger like Ebosele doesn't really work - we're pushing the fullbacks right up to stretch the field, and create space for the attackers, but Ebosele stays wide himself, and just gets in Byrne's way and also doesn't really exploit the space we've created inside.  The brave answer is to play Ebosele at right back and let someone like Sibley play further forward and drift inside.  Would be a big call though.

Byrne really struggled with Ebosele in front of him in part because he was playing somewhat inverted taking a narrow position with the idea that the width was coming from Ebosele but Byrne was clearly not comfortable in that position. He looked brighter when Sibley came on because he went on to hug the touchline which a role he was more familiar with. Even so there are a couple issues with him with how I think we want to play; firstly the fullbacks need to be rapid at the moment to recover for how far up the pitch they push forward and secondly he has a habit of floating slowish crosses into the box which aren't terribly hard to defend especially without CKR. Ebosele is faster, stronger and more of a threat going forward but is technically a bit rawer and likely to concede possession a bit more freely than you'd like from that position. Personally I do think it's getting very close to time to playing Ebosele there though.

Huddlestone signing for Hull before the deadline, doubt he's match fit but still haunted by him returning with Wolves and hitting his first goal.

Can't see Jagielka, Baldock and Buchanan being fit enough for 90 minutes, so I'd give the team a bit of a rollicking for switching off against Peterborough and give them something to prove.

Ebosele back to a sub role, for now I think he's more of an impact player, Morrison sorting the middle out for now until others come back or in, Lawrence wide because he doesn't seem to have the discipline to play centrally. 

Roos

Byrne Stearman Davies Forsyth

Bird Morrison Shinnie

Sibley Stretton Lawrence

Bench: Allsop, Ebosele, Jagielka, Buchanan/Williams, Watson, Jozwiak, Baldock

Ebosele's direct running, coupled with Baldock pulling the defence out of position could give us a half decent plan B from the bench.

Going forward I can see Wazza going to a back 3 of Jagielka, Stearman and Davies. Thankfully that should get rid of the DM covering fullback and AM covering DM issues.

2 hours ago, California Ram. said:

Now we have 2 more players in (till January), does the daft situation with Caishin and Thompson end ? If we’re really going three at the back, then having someone younger on the bench to push the wheelchairs might be handy ? 

I figure given the length of the deals we have used a loophole to get cover for CKR (and I'm guessing Bielik) whilst they recover.

Effectively if we're still in the doop in January the EFL will pull the rug and stop us keeping them, dropping us back down to 23. Registering Cashin if it were even possible, would a) complicate matters, and b) not give the team the experience/calmness Jagielka seems to.

I can't imagine there will be no more outgoings/Incomings before the end of the month, so wise to view it as a squad of 23 and then the 2 emergencies as a seperate thing.