Louie Sibley

15 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

I’d love to see sibley more as an 8 in a 433 where he can pick the ball up face to goal I hate him in the ten where he has his back to goal he’s better when he runs from deep with space to go past people 

Good shout, not heard it too much before, people often say he should be a 10.

This is maybe why he's done well at LWB, as he's always facing goal and running from deep.

1 hour ago, bucktwo said:

I reckon he is shaping up to be a top quality LWB , for his home town club who are the up . 

If he is insistant that he doesnt want to play there , time to move on . 

There are lots of examples of players who find that their best positions are not the ones they originally played . 

Of course all the contract negotiations may have nothing to do with the above . 

I hope you are right and he makes that position his own. Wing back roles are vital and often end up been that extra attacker who get the space. Gvardiol's recent form at City a case in point.

Our best run of form last season was Sibley at LB and this season he was mostly there as we kept on winning to get promoted.

I'm pretty happy with our multiple options across the back 5, don't really think we need to strengthen there.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I hope you are right and he makes that position his own. Wing back roles are vital and often end up been that extra attacker who get the space. Gvardiol's recent form at City a case in point.

Our best run of form last season was Sibley at LB and this season he was mostly there as we kept on winning to get promoted.

I'm pretty happy with our multiple options across the back 5, don't really think we need to strengthen there.

I think we need depth at the back. If Cashin or Nelson got injured it all suddenly looks a lot less solid.

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think we need depth at the back. If Cashin or Nelson got injured it all suddenly looks a lot less solid.

In an ideal world yes, but midfielders and forwards much more vital.

I will preemptively apologise if this turns out to be utter bollards but an old journalist colleague has messaged me to say Sibley is on Sheffield United’s radar.

His opening line was: “Is Sibley better than Lowe?” so perhaps they are thinking of him as an attacking left back option.

17 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

I will preemptively apologise if this turns out to be utter bollards but an old journalist colleague has messaged me to say Sibley is on Sheffield United’s radar.

His opening line was: “Is Sibley better than Lowe?” so perhaps they are thinking of him as an attacking left back option.

I’ve heard Sheff Utd are signing Burrows from P’Boro, so I can’t see them being after Sibley as well.

5 hours ago, OoooMarkWright said:

I’ve heard Sheff Utd are signing Burrows from P’Boro, so I can’t see them being after Sibley as well.

No way they get Burrows. They're up the creek financially with the owners desperately trying to sell them.

7 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Sheff Utd makes more sense, for sure, than Rotherham.

13 hours ago, OoooMarkWright said:

Burrows is on a free and presumably less wages than Lowe. Can't see him being beyond their reach. Also parachute payments.

Sibley is a utility player, wouldn't assume just because they are signing a left back it in anyway precludes him from joining too.

17 minutes ago, Rample said:

Burrows is on a free and presumably less wages than Lowe. Can't see him being beyond their reach. Also parachute payments.

Sibley is a utility player, wouldn't assume just because they are signing a left back it in anyway precludes him from joining too.

Burrows is under contract for another season. Even if he was 'free' this summer, he would have cost a significant compensation fee.

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Burrows is under contract for another season. Even if he was 'free' this summer, he would have cost a significant compensation fee.

GOC, what’s your understanding of a compensation fee for Sibley should he go to another English club?

For Sibley himself it's probably better for him to leave IMO. Rotherham is a surprise but whenever he goes I hope he gets to play in the position he thinks he's best at or at least the new manager would understand that. 

Perhaps £1-200k if we have matched his previous contract. 

12 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Has that been reported? Not seen that.

What if his wages have been matched?

If we have then the fee wouldn’t be insignificant, potentially could be up to £1m. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

£0 because we supposedly haven't matched (or bettered) his current contract.

Where’s this come from? Wouldn’t make any sense not to.

Even if Warne didn’t want him you would match his current contract, then say you’re backup at best. As a player at Sibley’s age and experience you would assume he’ll go elsewhere, then we get the compensation.