The Hundred.

Rev

I watched a bit more of this last night, though I couldn't make it through the whole match.

Things I hated:

The roving 'reporters' engaging with 'fans'.

The live music between innings.

The onscreen graphics.

Michael Vaughan (though, to be fair, I don't like him in other forms of cricket either)

The way the commentators felt the need to explain basic bits of cricket (proof that they are not speaking to actual cricket lovers).

The constant need of the commentators to tell us how great it all is, even as everything fizzled out in that way cricket does so beautifully.

The team names.

The team logos.

The constant feeling that this only exists because the ECB had their noses put out of joint by everyone else doing T20 competitions better.

The feeling that if this catches on, it will throttle test cricket in its sleep.

Things I liked:

The feeling that there's no way this is going to catch on.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I take it that it's not quite the John Player League and Flat Jack Simmons then? 

Dear God, my single memory of watching the JPL League on a Sunday is Jack Simmons coming in to bowl his looping slow tosses for Lancashire. You have seriously spooked me out now that you have also called it as a point of reference. Are you Morpheus? Are you going to offer me the red pill now?

Enjoying the action (it's basically T20 afterall) on terrestrial. 

The format, undermining of the Counties and scoring graphics are the negatives.

But it's designed to get the kids involved and the crowds so far seem to have lots of kids in attendance so I guess it's working from that perspective. 

Feels like T20 could do this itself without any of the negatives but hey, more cricket.

6 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

I've enjoyed it, it's new no one was keen on 20/20 when it was first thought of but most people enjoy it now. Cricket as to be sold commercially and this is a new format. For me good entertainment. But love all forms of cricket. 

Isn’t it just 20/20 with a few less balls, silly hats, awful graphics and teams that nobody has any empathy with? I don’t really get it ?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Isn’t it just 20/20 with a few less balls, silly hats, awful graphics and teams that nobody has any empathy with? I don’t really get it ?

Never mind my friend all formats are around as well, hopefully you will enjoy them. 

1 minute ago, ziggyram59 said:

Never mind my friend all formats are around as well, hopefully you will enjoy them. 

I love my cricket but just don’t see what benefits it adds on top of the 20/20 and the big negative is that it has destroyed this year’s domestic 50 over competition with Derbyshire fielding probably there weakest ever Xl in a competitive match, in my lifetime anyway…

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

I love my cricket but just don’t see what benefits it adds on top of the 20/20 and the big negative is that it has destroyed this year’s domestic 50 over competition with Derbyshire fielding probably there weakest ever Xl in a competitive match, in my lifetime anyway…

I know what you mean but a lot of people will say it's progress and bringing the game into the 21st century. 

Was talking to dad about this and we thought really the future of this going to depend on if the IPL like the format and ditch T20 for it then it'll de facto replae T20, if not, then after the novalty dies down it'll just become an ECB oddity that exists because they couldn't do a T20 EPL with the counties.

I hate the show stuff, the cricket is basically 20/20 but with odd bowling rules. Like everything i instinctivly hate in sports, I'm sure everyone will love and it'll become a thing.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Thought 20/20 had done that ?

So did I.

But then I got deep into a Twitter/Wiki/Statista hole last night when I found out participation numbers in this country are down by a third in just over 10 years. Something needs to be done to re-ignite young peoples interest. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

So did I.

But then I got deep into a Twitter/Wiki/Statista hole last night when I found out participation numbers in this country are down by a third in just over 10 years. Something needs to be done to re-ignite young peoples interest. 

Let’s hope the funny helmets ? do the trick….if the 5 ball overs don’t ???

42 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

So did I.

Interesting.

I last played in under 17's/3rd XI games about 10 years ago before giving the game up to do stupid things like go to pubs and nightclubs. 

However, recently got the itch to play again and started practicing and looking to join a club in the winter for indoor games and hopefully play next summer.

Not sure what it was that made me want to, think it's probably a case of getting into watching it recently with the India tests being on TV, World Cup win, T20's being on TV. I'm not massively sold on the Hundred but it's some of the only games I'll get to see.

More games on terrestrial has to happen - monkey see, monkey do.

24 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Interesting.

I last played in under 17's/3rd XI games about 10 years ago before giving the game up to do stupid things like go to pubs and nightclubs. 

However, recently got the itch to play again and started practicing and looking to join a club in the winter for indoor games and hopefully play next summer.

Not sure what it was that made me want to, think it's probably a case of getting into watching it recently with the India tests being on TV, World Cup win, T20's being on TV. I'm not massively sold on the Hundred but it's some of the only games I'll get to see.

More games on terrestrial has to happen - monkey see, monkey do.

Good luck with the cricket. 

It's a terrific game and the banter is usually of a high standard!