The Hundred.

Rev

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

sorry it was a bit of bait but it started from a good place, I agree the concept of mixed teams may have traction

At its heart cricket depends on skill and reflexes and strategic thinking, and strength and power don't overcome that in cricket (some will say v fast bowling, but it still needs skill to be effective).

So it could work, but it will largely depend on whose available and what level they're at. I'd not want to have a contrived mixed team but I'd bet there are some women who can bat as well as the odd lower order county cricketer for example.

Cricket would have to overcome it's old fart boys club tendancy though.

Strikes me that everything they have done for the Hundred they could have just done with the T20, if absolutely necessary they could rebrand the county teams to city teams and give them fancy kits but I’m not sure I really see the point. Enforce rules on teams to stop them playing slowly, pump some money in on ticket subsidies and to allow bigger squads with more overseas to increase the overall quality. Play all the games in a 3 or so week window where it isn’t interfering with the 4 day or 50 over stuff then put it on terrestrial TV as well.

Weirdly I tend to follow Leicestershire rather than Derbyshire when it comes to cricket, why would I have any interest in “Trent Rockets” when they have basically just drafted Nottinghamshire players?

At the end of the day I may still watch it. It is still cricket and I still find that entertaining, but I just don’t see the point. 

22 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Cricket is a sport where I think mixed teams could work.

No chance, "quick" bowlers in women's cricket are 70mph when in men's they're 90mph. It would be bloody dangerous ?

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

No chance, "quick" bowlers in women's cricket are 70mph when in men's they're 90mph. It would be bloody dangerous ?

Only at first, once women get used to facing the bowling it'll be fine. Yes the step up would be challenging.

I'm not suggesting we just create a competition where teams have X number female players. I am suggesting women who are good enough cricketers should be playing in mixed teams.

29 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Only at first, once women get used to facing the bowling it'll be fine. Yes the step up would be challenging.

I'm not suggesting we just create a competition where teams have X number female players. I am suggesting women who are good enough cricketers should be playing in mixed teams.

Agree with that now, but it would have to start with the kids and carry on through the age groups. Not many (if any) of the current womens internationals would be able to switch as of now.

39 minutes ago, David said:

Introduce a speed limit like on the roads

or make the men bowl from farther away when women are at the wicket.  Perhaps they include a multi ball option where several designated bowlers could bowl at the same time.  That would be exciting and just the thing to get more viewing figures.

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Agree with that now, but it would have to start with the kids and carry on through the age groups. Not many (if any) of the current womens internationals would be able to switch as of now.

That's probably a fair point. It's more of a development of future generations thing. 

I did say in my earlier post that it shouldn't be contrived, I think that's got potential to be counter productive.

But I could see it working in future.

As with a lot of women's sports, there are some (say rugby) where I don't think it'll be feasible but there are plenty where I think women who are good enough have no reason to be excluded.

7 minutes ago, Spanish said:

or make the men bowl from farther away when women are at the wicket.  Perhaps they include a multi ball option where several designated bowlers could bowl at the same time.  That would be exciting and just the thing to get more viewing figures.

That's the sort of thing that would absolutely devalue women playing. I'd like to see women competing in mixed events where they are there on merit at the sportsing.

As for multiball - they probably thought about it for the hundred.......

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

8 hours ago, Carnero said:

I'm a cricket fan and managed all of 2 minutes of it last night, utter garbage.

I've just watched about 10 seconds worth first on Sky and then on BBC2 - what the duck are those awful black banners with bight pink and bright green writing covering the bottom and sides of the screen!!! Not a chance I'm watching while that is still there, burns into your retinas!

4 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Against every preconception I had, I'm actually quite enjoying it. Don't think there's room for this and T20 though.

If this is a success it's down to it being on terrestrial TV.

Yes, it's not actually a bad game tonight, but I'm thinking "why" ? It's very T20 with stupid graphics....

Was the problem really that T20 was too in depth for the youth of today? Or a lack of silly graphics?

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yes, it's not actually a bad game tonight, but I'm thinking "why" ? It's very T20 with stupid graphics....

Was the problem really that T20 was too in depth for the youth of today? Or a lack of silly graphics?

It’s a strange one - I fail to see how an over of 6 balls is more complex than an “over” ( for want of a better term) of either 5 or 10 balls. And that is fundamentally the difference. As well as the weird graphics

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The problem is it's broadcast on sky, yesterday's game was the most watched womens cricket game in history

20 hours ago, Rev said:

Anyone interested in this?

I'd have called it the 102 personally, and left the overs at 6.

Anyone here getting behind the Trent Rockets, or is it a step too far for traditionalists?

Will a return to terrestrial live TV help the game, even though limited?

Love my cricket but boycotting this. Unnecessary distraction which is destroying the 50 over domestic competition. Can’t get behind it when I don’t care who wins the games. All the OTT glitz is annoying too. Apart from that it’s great ? 

23 hours ago, Rev said:

Anyone interested in this?

I'd have called it the 102 personally, and left the overs at 6.

Anyone here getting behind the Trent Rockets, or is it a step too far for traditionalists?

Will a return to terrestrial live TV help the game, even though limited?

It’s a load of dog do doos . Made up game played by teams with stupid made up names with no connection to any current teams. It’s a big no from me