The Hundred.

Rev

Anyone interested in this?

I'd have called it the 102 personally, and left the overs at 6.

Anyone here getting behind the Trent Rockets, or is it a step too far for traditionalists?

Will a return to terrestrial live TV help the game, even though limited?

32 minutes ago, Rev said:

Anyone interested in this?

I'd have called it the 102 personally, and left the overs at 6.

Anyone here getting behind the Trent Rockets, or is it a step too far for traditionalists?

Will a return to terrestrial live TV help the game, even though limited?

Tried to make sense of that and saw the word 'overs' which sounds like cricket to me. 

So are you saying there's a cricket team called the "Trent Rockets"?

45 minutes ago, David said:

Is this another attempt to try and make Cricket watchable?

No. It's an attempt to kill off small counties and "not be twenty20". Becuase the ECB had a think about why more people don't play or watch cricket and decided the problem was smaller counties and that they didn't trademark T20 when they had the chance.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

No. It's an attempt to kill off small counties and "not be twenty20". Becuase the ECB had a think about why more people don't play or watch cricket and decided the problem was smaller counties and that they didn't trademark T20 when they had the chance.

Not a cricket fan tbh, but I like to know what’s going on in the sporting world, when I see cricket news pop up on Twitter I can’t keep up with all the different formats.

Can understand why they want more people to watch cricket, snooker is facing the same battle, most cricket grounds look like they were built for other purposes as they are 3/4 empty. 

Even when I was at school they scrapped making us play cricket as nobody was interested, football, rugby all over it, but cricket the fielders would be sat down having a laugh.

As with VAR in football, you have to be careful that the changes you make don’t alienate fans, but then, is cricket at risk of dying if they don’t tinker? ??‍♂️

8 hours ago, Anon said:

I hate everything about it. The marketing is cringe inducing. They have team DJs. If the ECB are correct and this is what cricket needs to become to avoid dying, I'd prefer if we just suffocated it with a pillow.

Spot on - I'm refusing to watch it. You can just imagine the 'brain storming session' where some 20-something muppet came up with this idea. Seems that there are very few sporting bodies in this country that are fit for purpose.....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Spot on - I'm refusing to watch it. You can just imagine the 'brain storming session' where some 20-something muppet came up with this idea. Seems that there are very few sporting bodies in this country that are fit for purpose.....

I would have thought it was more likely to be 'the old codgers' in charge idea of what is on trend tbh.

So T20 is dead? It's very confusing. The main problem with cricket is lots of people don't have time to sit around all day for days on end, much though many would like to!

24 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I'm a cricket fan and managed all of 2 minutes of it last night, utter garbage.

If they wanted something 'new' then just have something like joint men's and women's teams, 10 overs women v women continued by 10 overs men v men.

or why not mixed teams, it's not that the hobby is particularly a demanding athletic sport

52 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I would have thought it was more likely to be 'the old codgers' in charge idea of what is on trend tbh.

So T20 is dead? It's very confusing. The main problem with cricket is lots of people don't have time to sit around all day for days on end, much though many would like to!

The old codgers will have had to sign it off, but it's got marketing 'executive' fingerprints all over it.....Tacky, style over substance, and completely unnecessary is your marketing man's bread and butter.......

Peak audience at 1.6m last night... 100k short of Sundays international T20 vs Pakistan. A good start but the test of time will be the measurement of how successful it is. 

We don't have to love it, we've already bought in. But if it can attract audiences like that and breathe some new fans into the sport then it may just be worth it. I don't think The Hundred is ever going to be anyone's favourite form of the game but if it gets people through the cricket door and opens up the other forms of the game to them - happy days. 

There's so much wrong that needs nipping in the bud ASAP, mind.  

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's quite the reverse, T20 is very successful. The ECB didn't take ownership of it and now wish they had done, so invented the hundred so they could own it because it's not T20. Oh, and kill off small counties, the ECB wet dream of a generation. They wanted to scrap having promotion and relegation in the county championship but kept finding counties they like were in div 2.