The Hundred.

Rev

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I love my cricket but just don’t see what benefits it adds on top of the 20/20 and the big negative is that it has destroyed this year’s domestic 50 over competition with Derbyshire fielding probably there weakest ever Xl in a competitive match, in my lifetime anyway…

It's like the same game as 20:20 but metric. 

Splitting it into 5s and 10s isn't going to turn anyone on to the game. 

The scores so far seem to be lower pro rata than the 20:20.

It's cricket dumbed down for the drinkers. 

On 24/07/2021 at 10:25, JoetheRam said:

Enjoying the action (it's basically T20 afterall) on terrestrial. 

The format, undermining of the Counties and scoring graphics are the negatives.

But it's designed to get the kids involved and the crowds so far seem to have lots of kids in attendance so I guess it's working from that perspective. 

Feels like T20 could do this itself without any of the negatives but hey, more cricket.

This

I can't fathom why thy would do this without the normal counties. It's as if they think people have loyalty to the game rather than their team. Which is odd. Or they genuinely think they can magic up an entirely new audience out of the luminiferous ether. I have news for them - the ether doesn't exist.

The graphics are shockingly bad.

The concept is quite clever had 20:20 not happened. I guess they want a new thing to take off in England rather than have India dominate the very short game format, but they missed the boat.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I can't fathom why thy would do this without the normal counties. It's as if they think people have loyalty to the game rather than their team. Which is odd. Or they genuinely think they can magic up an entirely new audience out of the luminiferous ether. I have news for them - the ether doesn't exist.

The graphics are shockingly bad.

The concept is quite clever had 20:20 not happened. I guess they want a new thing to take off in England rather than have India dominate the very short game format, but they missed the boat.

There’s a certain element who’s idea of expanding the game seems to be having less teams play, and would like nothing more than to do away with the likes of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Worcestershire, Northants, Gloucestershire etc...and seem to have this idea we’d just all flock to the nearest  “big” county. I’ve understood that logic, but the ECB are never happy unless they are meddling with the game.

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

Well I love it seen some great games like Trent Rockets last night, they looked like they were well out of it until Ben Stokes dropped that catch of Hales and it suddenly changed. I must admit I love it because I've always been a Notts fan coming from Nottingham, apologies to all Derbyshire fans out there. 

Go Away GIF

??

Got tickets for the game at Headingley on Saturday so be interesting to see what its like in person. A good game on offer but I'm sure the line ups are going to be completely decimated by the England squad announcement.

Last night was pretty good cricket in fairness, pink and green graphics aside. 

On 22/07/2021 at 12:39, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's probably a fair point. It's more of a development of future generations thing. 

I did say in my earlier post that it shouldn't be contrived, I think that's got potential to be counter productive.

But I could see it working in future.

As with a lot of women's sports, there are some (say rugby) where I don't think it'll be feasible but there are plenty where I think women who are good enough have no reason to be excluded.

In the 'old days', late 19th century, there used to be a few oddities. There used to be matches played between smokers and non-smokers, and also Ladies v Gents. The gents had to bat and bowl left-handed (assuming they were right-handed, and vise versa)

26 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

In the 'old days', late 19th century, there used to be a few oddities. There used to be matches played between smokers and non-smokers, and also Ladies v Gents. The gents had to bat and bowl left-handed (assuming they were right-handed, and vise versa)

They should have six-and-out. And the big-time-charlie batters should be made to go and fetch the fecker.

I'd certainly watch it if they had to brave next door's Alsatian or go down a nettle-covered railway embankment to get the ball back

11 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

They should have six-and-out. And the big-time-charlie batters should be made to go and fetch the fecker.

I'd certainly watch it if they had to brave next door's Alsatian or go down a nettle-covered railway embankment to get the ball back

Perhaps a new 'innovative' gimmick for the 100 would be one of those remote controlled ball carriers, like the ones in the Euros, to retrieve the ball from the boundary.

As an aside, in the London (I think) Olympics, they had remote controlled buggies to retrieve javelins, hammers etc. I have it on very good authority that the manufacturers (BMW I believe) retrieved them all and destroyed them to prevent industrial espionage relating to the internal mechanisms.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

I don’t support a team which isn’t Derbyshire.

I havent found the format interesting and couldn’t give a toss over who wins or loses.

Personally in cricket terms, I want Derbyshire to do well (generally unlikely) or England (generally likely).

That’s fine, it was aimed at people like myself who want to enjoy this without it being mutually exclusive to 20/20.  

It’s possible to enjoy this as it’s own entity and just leave the t20 stuff alone. English Cricket on TV for another 20 odd days - what’s not to like. (Weather permitting!)

17 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

That’s fine, it was aimed at people like myself who want to enjoy this without it being mutually exclusive to 20/20.  

It’s possible to enjoy this as it’s own entity and just leave the t20 stuff alone. English Cricket on TV for another 20 odd days - what’s not to like. (Weather permitting!)

It has no connection to current teams unless you live local to one of the test ground franchises. Like Rammieib I support Derbyshire not a made up team for Notts etc  
Designed to try and undermine the less “fashionable “ counties IMO 

That’s why I don’t like it.