Wouldn't it be nice..

rammieib

I know Steve Nicholson has to pump out article after article, most of it rehashes, and the guys at Radio Derby are in a similar boat, but wouldn't it be nice if these guys could really get some decent information against what is going on, either on or off the record! Ryan Conway tries but then I think the Athletic write 1000-word articles but there is nothing of any substance in them.

1) On what date do we intend to publish our accounts or wait until the 18th August?

2) Ask the club directly to comment on whether we are under or over the limit?

3) What exactly does the extra £30 Million that Pearce has found do to the events? 

4) In Lieu of Pearce or Morris giving any interviews or statements, How about employing an expert (Whose name isn't Keiran) to try and put a fine toothcomb over the club accounts from a straight line amortisation perspective to see if we are in or out of P&L.

5) Really dig deep on who Morris may be talking to at present and give us a 'breaking news' here.

The old days of journalism have gone. I remember 20 plus years ago - when Gerald Mortimer was the Derby County correspondence, Jim Smith left a game early to go and watch an 'unknown' striker in Europe somewhere. Now GM got into his contacts, and without hours, he had broken the news and had an exclusive on who it was. The club couldn't believe he found out so quickly.

Where has that type of journalism from the local press gone?

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I know Steve Nicholson has to pump out article after article, most of it rehashes, and the guys at Radio Derby are in a similar boat, but wouldn't it be nice if these guys could really get some decent information against what is going on, either on or off the record! Ryan Conway tries but then I think the Athletic write 1000-word articles but there is nothing of any substance in them.

1) On what date do we intend to publish our accounts or wait until the 18th August?

3) What exactly does the extra £30 Million that Pearce has found do to the events? 

4) In Lieu of Pearce or Morris giving any interviews or statements, How about employing an expert (Whose name isn't Keiran) to try and put a fine toothcomb over the club accounts from a straight line amortisation perspective to see if we are in or out of P&L.

5) Really dig deep on who Morris may be talking to at present and give us a 'breaking news' here.

The old days of journalism have gone. I remember 20 plus years ago - when Gerald Mortimer was the Derby County correspondence, Jim Smith left a game early to go and watch an 'unknown' striker in Europe somewhere. Now GM got into his contacts, and without hours, he had broken the news and had an exclusive on who it was. The club couldn't believe he found out so quickly.

Cambridge News even worse just posts endless stupid questions on social media like "what is worst thing about living in Cambridge" to which most inevitably reply " the Cambridge Evening News"

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who will pay for it?

Exactly, the news nowadays is instant so the desire for newspapers has dwindled massively since Mortimer's day, plus he didn't have to contend with the internet/social media.

There is no doubt Radio Derby & DET are at DCFC mercy in terms of the news they can publish and also they will be held back by press release embargo's - for example Steve Nicholson confirmed he had an article ready for the EFL verdict for the 5pm embargo but the news broke slightly earlier.

The problem is, if they break these press embargo's or release details the club do not want to be made public it will affect their job going forward as they will not be trusted with information. Fans crave to know everything immediately, but what if for example Steve Nicholson broke news earlier than he was meant to and it ended up costing us signing a player. It nearly happened with Rooney when it was all meant to be kept quiet then the news broke and other clubs came in from him.

Local journalism flourishes when news outlets can afford to have bright, hard-working journalists with decent resources. Those people aren't working for local newspapers anymore, if they are journalists at all.

Supporting your local paper is only half the problem. Even if circulation of the DET were to increase dramatically, targeted advertising on line still delivers much more bang for your buck. 

Hard to see this ever-downward spiral reversing. 

I would defend the Athletic actually, I have been meaning to re-subscribe because Conway genuinely puts stuff out there about us that you can't get anywhere else. He's often the first to break stories too.

13 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Local journalism flourishes when news outlets can afford to have bright, hard-working journalists with decent resources. Those people aren't working for local newspapers anymore, if they are journalists at all.

Supporting your local paper is only half the problem. Even if circulation of the DET were to increase dramatically, targeted advertising on line still delivers much more bang for your buck. 

Hard to see this ever-downward spiral reversing. 

I would defend the Athletic actually, I have been meaning to re-subscribe because Conway genuinely puts stuff out there about us that you can't get anywhere else. He's often the first to break stories too.

PS hope that no local journalists perusing the forum think I am attacking their intellect or work ethic! Far from it. I'm saying they would have a much wider circle of colleagues if local journalism was held in the same esteem it was 25+ years ago.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

So many relevant questions, Rammie, and all of them so important to us long-suffering fans. These are questions about the future of our club and we want to know the answers. However, the club are remaining very tight-lipped about our problems which may be the right tactical move but it doesn't help to allay the fans very real worries for the next season. Refusing to answer fans questions may be the right move for the club but it does nothing to reassure the fans who keep the club afloat through their support, sometimes for decades. Perhaps a more attacking, invasive style of journalism would reveal more but I guess it would still be up to the club to decide how to reply and how much information to release and perhaps they would act adversely to what they might perceive as hostile questioning. Any positive news would be welcome at this time! !!

Edited by Miggins
Wine

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

It’s called managed content and belongs in the same recycling bin as words like “franchise” and “match day experience” 

We have yet again polarisation.. Either you get twatter and Tik Tok keyboard warriors spreading meaningless conspiratorial twaddle or you get sanitised press releases for the masses of sheep. I loath it. 

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

That type of local journalism is still alive and well am afraid. I'm subjected to the local West Bridgford news feeds on FB and the content usually varies around cat stuck up in tree in Edwalton to littering on the local park to man belches in restaurant in Wilford. 

Of course if you cba to navigate around all of the clickbait adverts on the same page. It's mindless but if they're pumping that stuff out it must mean there's an appetite for it.

26 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That type of local journalism is still alive and well am afraid. I'm subjected to the local West Bridgford news feeds on FB and the content usually varies around cat stuck up in tree in Edwalton to littering on the local park to man belches in restaurant in Wilford. 

Of course if you cba to navigate around all of the clickbait adverts on the same page. It's mindless but if they're pumping that stuff out it must mean there's an appetite for it.

But is there ? Or is it like some made up reality where there isn’t anything else so the proletariat conform. ….. Or rebel and spout distorted BS or ….. alternatively keep our heads down knowing that this isn’t right but rationally we can’t do anything substantial about it. (That’s Me - but at least I get to pontificate on here ?

Soylent Green is people ! 

It is also worth mentioning that similarly to the way that the mainstream national press work with the government, access is everything.

I imagine the Derby Telegraph have a direct line to the club...but they wouldn't do for much longer if they published stories that the club were not ready to be seen by public eyes yet.

Therefore they are unfortunately reduced to mouthpieces for the club.

But I suppose they say that they are given accurate and correct information from the horses mouth, and they are free to report, comment and analyse that information however they see fit. So in their defence that is how their role has changed with reference to the club.

21 hours ago, Duracell said:

They have some amazing journalists full stop.

Maybe somewhat off topic here...They have a very long article on there today covering the story of the entire "55 years of hurt" which I've found a great way to get ready for tomorrow's game.

The entire "England National Team" story from 66 to today and it just reminds you why the crop of players we have now are so special. They have as much talent as any England team we've ever had but a lot of attributes we've not seen from an England team in half a century.

Very much worth the money imo