Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

1 hour ago, OohMartWright said:

The tone of this match was set after seven minutes when the thug who looks to have broken Tyree Wilson’s leg was not even given a yellow card, let alone the red card that the challenge deserved.

Was Wilson carried off? Or did you mean 'intent'?

If serious, is there any update on the injury?

Didn't see the game tonight, but I've often been surprised at how lenient the refs have been at this level with some very 1970s tackling. They should be protecting youth players from serious injury and the tolerance level shouldn't be less than it would be at PL level - it's supposed to be PL 2! 

Hope Tyree hasn't been seriously injured. Is there any kind of post match review of bad challenges at this level? 

Unsurprisingly, Brighton fans think because the ref didn't spot it that it was a fair challenge. I remember how they used to squeel every time Knockaert fell over his own laces. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cybulski has done very little, but oddly we never seem to aim the ball towards him in the air.

Slightly better second half because he actually went towards the ball to win it now and then. 

First half, every time, he was trying to play on the turn, get a little touch in ahead of the defender and roll it past him.

It can be clever play, and it might work against kids but a more experienced defender will read it and get to the ball ahead of him and he ends up not even touching the ball. 

I like what he's trying to do but unless he develops a less passive style and a stronger physique I can't see him being a league player just yet.

Edited by Coconut

7 hours ago, Coconut said:

Slightly better second half because he actually went towards the ball to win it now and then. 

First half, every time, he was trying to play on the turn, get a little touch in ahead of the defender and roll it past him.

Ah right, didn't see the first half as hadn't got my RamsTV code. 2nd half watched on BHATV.

Just surprised we didn't try aerial to him, but then just because he's tall... TBH I think he wants to be a 'stretch Marriott-type' (a footballing stretch Armstrong! ?)? 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ah right, didn't see the first half as hadn't got my RamsTV code. 2nd half watched on BHATV.

Just surprised we didn't try aerial to him, but then just because he's tall... TBH I think he wants to be a 'stretch Marriott-type' (a footballing stretch Armstrong! ?)? 

Might be tall but plays better with ball into feet rather than in the air. 

When I saw him at Matlock I thought he had got a bit stronger from last season, but the Brighton centre backs played him really well. Both much stronger than him. 

All the Brighton players were tall and strong physically, overly so on some occasions. Little to no protection from a poor referee. They are a Brighton first team in training, to be sure.

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

Might be tall but plays better with ball into feet rather than in the air. 

When I saw him at Matlock I thought he had got a bit stronger from last season, but the Brighton centre backs played him really well. Both much stronger than him. 

All the Brighton players were tall and strong physically, overly so on some occasions. Little to no protection from a poor referee. They are a Brighton first team in training, to be sure.

Thought we played well 2nd half just that Cybulski was hardly involved, one decent attempt in the box I think. But overall we looked to have some interesting players developing. I bet the squad/team age is fairly young last night.

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thought we played well 2nd half just that Cybulski was hardly involved, one decent attempt in the box I think. But overall we looked to have some interesting players developing. I bet the squad/team age is fairly young last night.

Yep. The team was very young with only scholars on the bench. Foulkes (20), Cashin, Thompson, Wilson (19), and the rest 18 years old.

Brighton had Molumby, 22 years old with a season and a half of Championship football to his name playing most of the game.

20 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cybulski has done very little, but oddly we never seem to aim the ball towards him in the air.

Bart doesn't seem as out of place physically with the 23s, at U18 level he looked a good foot taller than everyone else on the pitch, but now people seem to be a bit nearer to his stature, which may make him a bit more ordinary. Only seems to be here to make up the numbers really, just getting games due to other options being indisposed.

Foulkes looks promising, a long time since we had a keeper at this level who looks like they could develop into more than a loanee.

Borkovic will make it into the first team squad if he can keep fit, the fact he is still a scholar makes him a rare commodity.

For those in the know, is there the slightest prospect of Bobby Duncan playing for the U23s? We're rumoured to be paying him a decent wage. It was also rumoured he'd gone AWOL at some point. Derby would seem an amazing opportunity at the moment for any young striker to break through, and it seems a shame someone who came through all the various England youth ranks isn't figuring at all. 

56 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For those in the know, is there the slightest prospect of Bobby Duncan playing for the U23s? We're rumoured to be paying him a decent wage. It was also rumoured he'd gone AWOL at some point. Derby would seem an amazing opportunity at the moment for any young striker to break through, and it seems a shame someone who came through all the various England youth ranks isn't figuring at all. 

I'm not #ITK but, all evidence points to him never playing for us again.

Given Duncan's record, I would rather we focused on Plange and Cybulski.

A for the first team, there's Kazim, Baldock and Stretton. Plange would be ahead of him given he's actually performed well for our U23 side.

If he is on a 'decent wage', then it's in the interests of all parties for him to move on.