Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Shame we let Trialist go cos he'd be better up front than Cybulski.

It was in the best interests of both parties. Don't forget he had played a first team game so would have counted towards the professional standing count so we wouldn't have been able to bring one of the free agents in for the first team

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A very tough game for him tonight. I felt the defensive line wasn't right against a quick Leeds front line. Meant Cashin was facing his own goal a lot which is certainly not what he's best at ?

Thought he tried too much too often.

Was at the game tonight. It's a tough watch at times as we lack experience and our game management is poor. 

We have players with good ball skills,  but Cashin and Dixon excepted, we lack physicality. When we threatened through midfield, they fouled us. Nice and early! If we'd done the same it wouldn't have placed Cashin in that situation at the end (although his earlier tackle was borderline red card anyway).

Leeds nobbled Thompson twice  early on, which didn't help. Not punished of course and the ref spoke to their number nine three times before he booked him.

I am a bit relieved to read about the mismatch in fees for the respective teams, but we will presumably be up against similar set ups throughout the season.

This Embargo is affecting much more than our first team. 

Bright points - Thompson pre- injury, Borkovic, Dixon, Cashin for 80 minutes. 

The U23s are playing away at Everton at 7pm tomorrow night: https://southportfc.net/information-everton-u23-v-Derby-county/

I cannot fathom, with our threadbare squad, why we are organizing our U23 matches to coincide with out first team games. For me it's a recipe for the U23s being relegated from the top division this season.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The U23s are playing away at Everton at 7pm tomorrow night: https://southportfc.net/information-everton-u23-v-Derby-county/

I cannot fathom, with our threadbare squad, why we are organizing our U23 matches to coincide with out first team games. For me it's a recipe for the U23s being relegated from the top division this season.

Whilst I agree in principle, our non-playing first team squad don't appear to have been made available to our under 23s this season anyway.

Even if Sky hadn't moved the match from Saturday, those players wouldn't have been available. 

Agree it's terribly weakening an already young team, though.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Why would we be organizing our own fixtures?

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Whilst I agree in principle, our non-playing first team squad don't appear to have been made available to our under 23s this season anyway.

Even if Sky hadn't moved the match from Saturday, those players wouldn't have been available. 

Agree it's terribly weakening an already young team, though.

I'm sure earlier in the season Rooney talked about using U23 games to keep some of his non-playing first team squad fit. But agree it's not looking that way right now.