League one team?

RYRAM

I could only see Roos, Fozzy, Bird & CKR being here next year in terms of first teamers. Then Ibe depending on his mindset & Bielik but only because of injury.

I think promoted clubs to the Champ will pick off players lile Marshall & Byrne the same way we did. Buchanan, Knight & Sibley probably be sold for low offers, Lawrence & Jozwiak probably get sold and do really well at another club. Wisdom & Waggy will leave on free's then the loans wont return either.

40 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

If we played tonight’s team next year we’d pretty soon be a League Two team - they couldn’t even complete decent 5 yard passes tonight, never mind show organisation and fight - absolutely pathetic display.....

Yes, tbh I think the only players who would leave would be ones who can command a decent wage elsewhere, the others will stay and milk us dry.

Hopefully the pandemic might have a silver lining like it did with Norwich this season, in that they kept there best players when they were relegated because no one had the money to buy them. Although it could be a double edged sword because we'll be stuck with the bad ones.

Release: Waghorn, Carson, Mitchell, Wisdom, Jozefzoon, Malone, Davies

Players who could possibly be sold: Lawrence, Jozwiak, Buchanan, Marshall, Sibley, Knight. The only ones I'd be sad to lose would be Buchanan, Sibley and Knight, considering the wages of the others.

Players who will probably stay: Shinnie, Byrne, Ibe, CKR, Roos, Forsyth, Bird, Ravas, Bielik. I think the only dead weight is Ibe. Bielik will obviously miss much of the season.

That means we could be left with a team like this:

image.png.2e081e817d42734739779f0288ac9d98.png

If you take the general rule that you need 2 players for each position, we could need 10-15 new signings. This is obviously unlikely so we're going to rely on more academy players like Stretton and Ebosele. There's even an outside chance someone might bid for Shinnie and Byrne.

And then there's Marriott, he'll most likely be released, but we have a striker who previously scored 27 goals in a League 1 season.

So it really doesn't look good if we go down.

Out of contract: Carson, Mitchell, Ravas, Wisdom, Malone, Josefzoon, Waghorn

Loans expiring: Clarke, Mengi, Edmundson, Baningime, Roberts, Gregory

Players to be sold: Marshall, Byrne, Shinnie, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Kazim

Contracts to extend: Davies

Without any signings, we'd be looking at the following:

Roos

Ebosele   Davies   Solomon   Buchanan

Bird

Knight   Sibley

Shonibare   Marriott   Ibe

Foster, McDonald, JBrown, Cashin, Archie, Bielik, LThompson, Watson, Hutchinson, JML, Wilson, Stretton, Cresswell

I'd be hopeful Buchanan, Bird, Knight and Sibley would be willing to give us 1 season to get back up.

In terms of signings, I'd like to see 2 CBs, 1 DM and 2 wingers. We should be capable of getting those with minimal outlay at that level. It's risky hoping Davies returns to anything like he was before and the academy lads are ready for the step up. We need short term cover at DM until Bielk is 100% ready to return. On the wings, we don't know the condition of Ibe, and it's risky relying on the academy wingers to step up to the physicality of L1 - JML and Wilson are both very lightweight, but very quick and nimble.

At least there won't be much of this squad left for next season so hopefully not much of a relegation hangover. of those who will still be under contract:

Marshall's past it but would be ok in league on

good luck trying to move on the useless lump that is CKR. "Ooh he's got an interesting back story". I don't care. he's stealing a living from us now since he signed his new contract.

I expect Bird, Knight and buchanen to be gone. Sibbo might want to stay.

Forsyth will be good at that level.

Jozwiak will go, probably back to poland. lawrence will go to a mid table championship club. 

It will be a completely difference squad which won't necessarily be a bad thing.

11 hours ago, Gaspode said:

If we played tonight’s team next year we’d pretty soon be a League Two team - they couldn’t even complete decent 5 yard passes tonight, never mind show organisation and fight - absolutely pathetic display.....

I agree. That team could not compete with the decent teams in League 1.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Out of contract: Carson, Mitchell, Ravas, Wisdom, Malone, Josefzoon, Waghorn

Loans expiring: Clarke, Mengi, Edmundson, Baningime, Roberts, Gregory

Players to be sold: Marshall, Byrne, Shinnie, Jozwiak, Lawrence, Kazim

Contracts to extend: Davies

Without any signings, we'd be looking at the following:

Roos

Ebosele   Davies   Solomon   Buchanan

Bird

Knight   Sibley

Shonibare   Marriott   Ibe

Foster, McDonald, JBrown, Cashin, Archie, Bielik, LThompson, Watson, Hutchinson, JML, Wilson, Stretton, Cresswell

I'd be hopeful Buchanan, Bird, Knight and Sibley would be willing to give us 1 season to get back up.

In terms of signings, I'd like to see 2 CBs, 1 DM and 2 wingers. We should be capable of getting those with minimal outlay at that level. It's risky hoping Davies returns to anything like he was before and the academy lads are ready for the step up. We need short term cover at DM until Bielk is 100% ready to return. On the wings, we don't know the condition of Ibe, and it's risky relying on the academy wingers to step up to the physicality of L1 - JML and Wilson are both very lightweight, but very quick and nimble.

Can’t see the so called young Crown Jewels staying, need to be sold off as we won’t have a pot to pi*s in. Surely Curtis’s playing days are over. I think the squad will be made up of half the developing academy players and half of free transfers, the Lee Gregory type players. Not too exciting.....

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can see Bird having time on the ball and putting his foot in. League 1 is not really his style.

It may or may not be his style, but at least you've finally recognised that Bird makes a lot of time for himself on the ball and puts tackles in.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Can’t see the so called young Crown Jewels staying, need to be sold off as we won’t have a pot to pi*s in. Surely Curtis’s playing days are over. I think the squad will be made up of half the developing academy players and half of free transfers, the Lee Gregory type players. Not too exciting.....

I think it depends on two factors:

1. Do they want to stay with us for a year and fight for promotion?
  2. Do we need to cash in (or is an offer too good to refuse)?

I think we'd keep them for 1 year in L1

This is probably a reality now so I think 

players who will go 

Jozwiak. Lawrence, Waghorn, Wisdom, Knight, Byrne and Shinnie who the last 2 both don’t deserve to play league 1 football they are much better than that! 

Marshall Sibley buchanan can we afford to keep them?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see something like 

Roos (I think he’s good enough for league 1)

Fozzy McDonald Ebolse 

Watson bird injured Bilek? Jordan brown  

CKR Stretton Mitchell Lawson 

Then more kids?

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It may or may not be his style, but at least you've finally recognised that Bird makes a lot of time for himself on the ball and puts tackles in.

No he stands next to the player with the ball, and mostly just passes the ball sideways, that's not making space it's an extra pass. He puts tackles in like he heads the ball.

The current gap between the Championship and L1 is huge as is shown by the 3 promoted teams from last season (Cov, Rotherham and Wycombe) all being candidates to go straight back down. As was the case the season previous with Luton, Barnsley and Charlton.

However, so called 'footballing' teams e.g. Sunderland, Leeds, Sheff Utd that go in the other direction struggle too... which suggests that 'Championship style' football doesn't work in L1 and 'L1 style' football doesn't work in the Championship. Look at Hull! They were absolute ? in the second half of last season and are now looking like coming back up as champions with virtually the same team.

Long story short ? if we go down, we need to bring in good L1 players (in my opinion). Players such as Sonny Bradley, Joe Rothwell, Hakeeb Adelakun, James Collins... they're all out of contract and would be good options. Not particularly as exciting as what we're used to. But it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think it depends on two factors:

1. Do they want to stay with us for a year and fight for promotion?
  2. Do we need to cash in (or is an offer too good to refuse)?

I think we'd keep them for 1 year in L1

I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking if I'm honest as I really wouldn't be surprised if someone gambles on the lot and I wouldn't be surprised to see us sell on the cheap. I think if we do that I suspect we will be spinning our wheels in the languishes of the league 1 and at best the bottom half of the championship for a seriously long time (think between 5-10 years).

If I was in charge I'd be doing every last thing I could think of to try and keep them for a season, re-build the team around and try to find a coach as it'd be the best chance we'd have of recovering quickly and then re-establishing ourselves in the championship. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the academy lads are not why we are in this mess.