League one team?

RYRAM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

......Not particularly as exciting as what we're used to.....

Based on recent seasons I'd find the ability to string a few positive passes together and have a few attempt/score a few goals as far more exciting.....

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why are we having to rely on them is the point.

To be perfectly honest I don't think we've played them enough and I think we've often preferred senior players who are just flat worse than them.

I stand by that we should have used them more than we have and should have taken the time following Cocu to really try to shape the team around them. But that would have taken bold direction from the club, getting a manager with a clear idea of what he wanted to do it and an experienced coaching staff to boot.

But no why do a sensible thing when you can hire WAYNE ROONEY (TM)........

9 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Hopefully the pandemic might have a silver lining like it did with Norwich this season, in that they kept there best players when they were relegated because no one had the money to buy them. Although it could be a double edged sword because we'll be stuck with the bad ones.

Release: Waghorn, Carson, Mitchell, Wisdom, Jozefzoon, Malone, Davies

Players who could possibly be sold: Lawrence, Jozwiak, Buchanan, Marshall, Sibley, Knight. The only ones I'd be sad to lose would be Buchanan, Sibley and Knight, considering the wages of the others.

Players who will probably stay: Shinnie, Byrne, Ibe, CKR, Roos, Forsyth, Bird, Ravas, Bielik. I think the only dead weight is Ibe. Bielik will obviously miss much of the season.

That means we could be left with a team like this:

image.png.2e081e817d42734739779f0288ac9d98.png

If you take the general rule that you need 2 players for each position, we could need 10-15 new signings. This is obviously unlikely so we're going to rely on more academy players like Stretton and Ebosele. There's even an outside chance someone might bid for Shinnie and Byrne.

And then there's Marriott, he'll most likely be released, but we have a striker who previously scored 27 goals in a League 1 season.

So it really doesn't look good if we go down.

And ibe 

Roos

Ebosele   Davies   Brown   Buchanan

Ibe        Watson     Thorne       Sibley

Kazim    Stretton   

Lovely that. Exeter won't know what's hit em.

What ever happens can we please sign a good set-piece taker. I can't remember the last time we had a good one, except Wilson for a season and Rooney briefly (though he was only good a scoring FKs, still poo from corners).

Mowett's set-pieces are a big part of why Barnsley are where they are. Wilson has 11 assists for Cardiff.

Does anyone actually expect anything when we get a corner/FK at the moment?

4 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

What ever happens can we please sign a good set-piece taker. I can't remember the last time we had a good one, except Wilson for a season and Rooney briefly (though he was only good a scoring FKs, still poo from corners).

Mowett's set-pieces are a big part of why Barnsley are where they are. Wilson has 11 assists for Cardiff.

Straight in the back of the net if it’s down our end. 

29 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Byrne, Shinnie and Waghorn put in decent balls from corners.
Byrne puts decent balls in from FKs.
Lawrence and Waghorn have decent records when attempting to score from FKs.

In fact, no team has scored more than us from direct freekicks this season.

14 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Interesting to see so many offering new terms to Curtis; not sure I would on a pure footballing decision.

Good for the dressing room without a doubt and a leader out on the pitch, but I can't see him playing a full season - and would be best suited to a back three.

Good experienced pro at L1 level. As we'd have an exceptionally young side, he'd be able to coach the likes of Solomon through games. It would keep the turnover of players down just that little bit more.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Byrne, Shinnie and Waghorn put in decent balls from corners.
Byrne puts decent balls in from FKs.
Lawrence and Waghorn have decent records when attempting to score from FKs.

In fact, no team has scored more than us from direct freekicks this season.

Byrne and Waghorn are decent (not sure about Shinnie). But not good. I was on about corners and indirect freekicks more than direct ones.

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

Interesting to see so many offering new terms to Curtis; not sure I would on a pure footballing decision.

Good for the dressing room without a doubt and a leader out on the pitch, but I can't see him playing a full season - and would be best suited to a back three.

Agree, be surprised if he played for us again...

6 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I’d say this has been one of our better years for set pieces. At one point of the season we were scoring regularly from set pieces. In fact, if it wasn’t for our set pieces we’d have scored about 5 goals all season!

Archived