League one team?

RYRAM

12 hours ago, enachops said:

I’d say this has been one of our better years for set pieces. At one point of the season we were scoring regularly from set pieces. In fact, if it wasn’t for our set pieces we’d have scored about 5 goals all season!

Well in the table we're 20th for set-piece goals, and that includes direct goals which we're decent at, so not exactly good. I was talking more about indirect FKs/corners. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Well in the table we're 20th for set-piece goals, and that includes direct goals which we're decent at, so not exactly good. I was talking more about indirect FKs/corners. 

Early on in Rooney's time as manager we looked like scoring every time. We've since lost Davies and Bielik, with Wisdom and Bird stepping in.

That's a significant drop in aerial ability, and a big reason why we're struggling now. Tightly mark Clarke from set pieces at our threat almost completely dissappears.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Early on in Rooney's time as manager we looked like scoring every time. We've since lost Davies and Bielik, with Wisdom and Bird stepping in.

That's a significant drop in aerial ability, and a big reason why we're struggling now. Tightly mark Clarke from set pieces at our threat almost completely dissappears.

I agree with all that, my original point was about set-piece deliveries. Byrne is a decent, maybe even good corner taker, but what I meant was when did we last have someone who's renowned for there delivery? (Except Wilson and Rooney). Someone like Mowatt at Barnsley, or Douglas at Blackburn etc. 

also weren't two of Shinnie's corner assists mis-hits which lucky worked? also we've had more than Clarke as targets. We've had Gregory, Edmundson and CKR who are OK in the air. The stats don't lie, 20th in the league for set-piece goals, especially for a team who now play a more direct style is poor.

14 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I agree with all that, my original point was about set-piece deliveries. Byrne is a decent, maybe even good corner taker, but what I meant was when did we last have someone who's renowned for there delivery? (Except Wilson and Rooney). Someone like Mowatt at Barnsley, or Douglas at Blackburn etc. 

also weren't two of Shinnie's corner assists mis-hits which lucky worked? also we've had more than Clarke as targets. We've had Gregory, Edmundson and CKR who are OK in the air. The stats don't lie, 20th in the league for set-piece goals, especially for a team who now play a more direct style is poor.

You mean joint 13th?

SmartSelect_20210423-172227_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e466ef9bb2584f03a9aa3b35d43f6fe1.jpg

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You mean joint 13th?

SmartSelect_20210423-172227_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e466ef9bb2584f03a9aa3b35d43f6fe1.jpg

Ok fine? you win.

Joint 13th still isn't exactly good considering it's meant to be "one of our better years for set-piece goals" on top of the fact we're playing more direct this season than we usually do.

Still a bit away from my original point which was about the set-piece taker. That table kind of shows what I was on about with Mowatt and Wilson.

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

having a very good set piece taker is secondary. Theer are more important issues we need to sort. 

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Ok fine? you win.

Joint 13th still isn't exactly good considering it's meant to be "one of our better years for set-piece goals" on top of the fact we're playing more direct this season than we usually do.

Still a bit away from my original point which was about the set-piece taker. That table kind of shows what I was on about with Mowatt and Wilson.

Barnsley and Cardiff are two of the most physical sides in this league - 7 or 8 big players to aim for. On a good day we have 3. That may answer why they top the charts and we're midtable despite having decent setpiece takers.

Keinan Davis who we were half linked with this last season should be a loan target whichever league were in, I was just writing how unlucky he’s been not to score a goal and he just goes and scores one!

His positioning and physical presence along with a bit of pace for a big lad is just what we need I really do think he’s got a 20 goal season in him. 

Rooney is now the liability.

In my view, Rooney was hired to attract a buyer for the club, but also maybe to a smaller degree to attract players to Derby in the same way Lampard did.

On the attracting a buyer view, that was the perception at the time. Now however as a failed manager he repels potential owners because who would pay 50 million for a relegated club, maybe 20 million?

On attracting talented players, whats the incentive, play for a former England star, who loses a lot more than wins and in league one.

Such players are also likely to be thinking he will probably lose a lot of games in league one.

Current players are thinking that Rooney doesn't encourage them to renew contracts or stay at the club.

If relegated, teams in league one are not likely to fear playing Derby as Rooney has damaged the reputation of the club.

League ones best players might wish to play for Derby on the basis of being paid championship level salaries but doing so without a good manager at the helm will not get those players to perform.

Any new owner that wants a return on their investment will want immediate turn around of the clubs fortines regardless of the division that Derby play in. Any new owner will already be saying Rooney out

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Rooney is now the liability.

In my view, Rooney was hired to attract a buyer for the club, but also maybe to a smaller degree to attract players to Derby in the same way Lampard did.

On the attracting a buyer view, that was the perception at the time. Now however as a failed manager he repels potential owners because who would pay 50 million for a relegated club, maybe 20 million?

On attracting talented players, whats the incentive, play for a former England star, who loses a lot more than wins and in league one.

Such players are also likely to be thinking he will probably lose a lot of games in league one.

Current players are thinking that Rooney doesn't encourage them to renew contracts or stay at the club.

If relegated, teams in league one are not likely to fear playing Derby as Rooney has damaged the reputation of the club.

League ones best players might wish to play for Derby on the basis of being paid championship level salaries but doing so without a good manager at the helm will not get those players to perform.

Any new owner that wants a return on their investment will want immediate turn around of the clubs fortines regardless of the division that Derby play in. Any new owner will already be saying Rooney out

Let’s hope so ?

If people think kids get you out of the old 3rd division then think again , I was there last time we were in it and it's a rough old place , you don't want kids in the squad . You need older seasoned pro's with a physical edge and a bit of skill . Actually ckr is perfect bar for his age getting close to his walking frame has to be sold.

On 23/04/2021 at 15:01, Ghost of Clough said:

It wasn't just aerial ability that saw us scoring and generally being more dangerous from them though - it was the starting position and movement of the players confusing the opposition, and a variation in where (if not how) we played the ball in.

We've completely dropped it as a tactic and haven't come up with a new one.

There's no movement and the only remnant if it is Byrne trying to catch the keeper out with a shot, which he now seems to do every single time, with some other players standing as close to the keeper as they can get and unsurprisingly being adjudged to have fouled him.

It reminds me of Jake Buxton scoring a header from a corner a few years ago after being very active in the box beforehand, but then he never tried it again! It reminds of those games where an opposition fullback gets booked after 5 minutes because they couldn't handle a winger and you spend the next 85 minutes exclusively attacking the other side of the pitch!

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

It wasn't just aerial ability that saw us scoring and generally being more dangerous from them though - it was the starting position and movement of the players confusing the opposition, and a variation in where (if not how) we played the ball in.

We've completely dropped it as a tactic and haven't come up with a new one.

There's no movement and the only remnant if it is Byrne trying to catch the keeper out with a shot, which he now seems to do every single time, with some other players standing as close to the keeper as they can get and unsurprisingly being adjudged to have fouled him.

It reminds me of Jake Buxton scoring a header from a corner a few years ago after being very active in the box beforehand, but then he never tried it again! It reminds of those games where an opposition fullback gets booked after 5 minutes because they couldn't handle a winger and you spend the next 85 minutes exclusively attacking the other side of the pitch!

Buxton header v the Dirties I think....

4 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

If people think kids get you out of the old 3rd division then think again , I was there last time we were in it and it's a rough old place , you don't want kids in the squad . You need older seasoned pro's with a physical edge and a bit of skill . Actually ckr is perfect bar for his age getting close to his walking frame has to be sold.

In fairness, it's a bit different now. Hull and Peterborough, who occupy the top 2 spots, barely have any 'seasoned pros' with all their significant players in their early to mid 20s. In fact, it's the same for most of the top teams in the league. Charlton, in 8th, have built around seasoned pros: Pratley, Gunter, Shinnie, Watson & Matthews, but largely the teams at the top are full of young players. 

Football is very different to the last time we were in the third division. Most of the seasoned pros will happily pick up Championship money whilst they still get roles at that level, whereas the focus on young players trying to make their way in the game seems to be more successful. 

We are a one-man Championship team, and that man is definitely not going to drop into League One unless he's dragged kicking and screaming.

Its hard to say how good the rest of them will be in league one, we would definitely be rooted in the bottom three without Bielik's 13 games, but we often see teams getting regularly promoted (Rotherham springs to mind) before being properly terrible in the Championship. I can't say I'm that familiar with the level of competition, but I'd expect far less work to be required if we go down than if we stay up.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Its hard to say how good the rest of them will be in league one, we would definitely be rooted in the bottom three without Bielik's 13 games, but we often see teams getting regularly promoted (Rotherham springs to mind) before being properly terrible in the Championship. I can't say I'm that familiar with the level of competition, but I'd expect far less work to be required if we go down than if we stay up.

Isn't that what Prem teams say when they get relegated? I'd suggest it'd be easier to get a new squad together that can compete at Championship level.

Archived