Where did it go wrong?

Gritstone Ram

20 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I agree with this but it's worth bearing in mind that our fans didn't do much complaining at the time. Everyone was thrilled everytime we broke the transfer record, hardly pausing to consider if the player was worth it, and each time MM performed some feat of financial trickery to avoid FFP they were happy as long as it was pissing off Steve Gibson.

True,although I always thought that the trickery was always going to come back and haunt us eventually.

We were pretty entitled back then too....embarrassingly so in hindsite.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

“Bradley Johnson was too good a deal to turn down.” That just epitomised the idiotic decision making and lack of thought and planning since Morris took over.  Stupid signings on stupid contracts, stupid managerial appointments, stupid firings, stupid behaviour by players, stupid antics by Morris, just endless stupidity from the entire club.  I don’t doubt Morris’s passion and commitment, but the sooner he’s gone, the better.

You say this but right now Bradley Johnson is in a different league to the rammal we've currently got, he's exactly what we're missing, at least he's got a bit of fight and determination in him, given the choice id take him back, i also would of kept huddlestone too 

Uncle Mel & PC’s Great Transfer Spunkathon of 2015 kicked it all off. All we needed was a couple of key additions to add depth and they instead payed well over the odds for the likes of Shackell, Weimann & Nick F-in Blackman! Yes we were unlucky to lose Hughes & Bryson (who was given a FIVE YEAR CONTRACT NO LESS) a game into the season, but instead of going to one of PC’s old clubs for a couple of quality loans, we splurge over £10m on Bradley Johnson & Jacob “Smiler” Butterfield. We’re still dealing with the impact of this ludicrous transfer strategy 6 years later

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Was it Keogh’s duck up in the play off final?

Signing utter crap?

Paul Clement?

Sam Rush?

or is it the uncanny combination of events that has led us to this new low spot in the clubs history. Well Mel we’ve only reached the third tier twice before could you be the third to take us to the promised land. 

Oh and if you’re reading Morris I still haven’t had my refund from last season let alone this one.

There have been various nails in the coffin as you mention.

The final one being the signing of an over the hill celebrity. 

A lot of mistakes have been made, with most of them driven by ego (big money signings, celebrity appointments). 

As I mentioned in another thread, the club is rotten to the core. We need to wind our necks in and learn to show some humility.

So sad to see us in this position.

11 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Buxton not clearing the ball in the playoff final. 

Forsyth was first man and he just ambled past him, Buxton came flying across and he just wasn't quick enough and put in a fanny challenge instead of stopping the cross/pass into the box . Captain Keogh with the finishing spooned hack at the ball.  Axis of evil.?

I think the recruitment of players is where it all went wrong.

So much money spent on transfers and wages for players who have given us so little in return.

For the first 4-5 seasons, Mel backed his managers and expensive players were brought in. They were mostly a waste of time.

Many teams have got promoted by spending money before it becomes unsustainable. They just buy good players.

Theory, Mel didn't want to spend a lot of money buying a quality manager who would have a better chance of saving the club.

Mels priority was to sell the club as its been costing him a lot of money.

He therefore decided to try and please the fans by allowing an inexperienced star player take charge of the club.

Mel has done this before with Lampard and that time it worked.

But it was a risky strategy given that the club had just been managed by cocu.

The players mentality was not great since they were in a run of loses. 

The players were not managed in the right way. They were not motivated in the right way.

I dont blame entirely blame the players as many were not played in their best position.

I dont entirely blame Rooney, he tried his best but he wasn't experienced enough to save the club.

Rooney tactics have often been wrong.

Now the club is faced with finding a qualified and experienced manager.

Yes they can do that, derbys still has a large fan base with excellent ground and training facilities.

Yes it will cost but if the club gets new owners they will have the money to bring in a new manager.

They will not trust Rooney to promote the club in one season.

The club will need to see a number of changes.

In my opinion it needs to keep its youth players and play them in the right way.

It needs to get rid of expensive older players.

It needs a star striker.

It needs to build a rock solid defence.

11 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Uncle Mel & PC’s Great Transfer Spunkathon of 2015 kicked it all off. All we needed was a couple of key additions to add depth and they instead payed well over the odds for the likes of Shackell, Weimann & Nick F-in Blackman! Yes we were unlucky to lose Hughes & Bryson (who was given a FIVE YEAR CONTRACT NO LESS) a game into the season, but instead of going to one of PC’s old clubs for a couple of quality loans, we splurge over £10m on Bradley Johnson & Jacob “Smiler” Butterfield. We’re still dealing with the impact of this ludicrous transfer strategy 6 years later

This. When ffp came in we needed to get smarter in the transfer market, you can still spend money but it needed to be on players who would improve and who's value went up. We went poo or bust signing Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman for the best part of 20 million that would all be either pushing or already the wrong side of 30 towards the end of their contract and unlikely to see much of a return on. Add in the presumably large wages for these plus those of Bent and Baird etc and that one season has seen us playing catch up financially ever since.

The annoying thing is we didn't learn our lesson, Anya for 4-5 mill the next year and then after we'd sold the ground to cover all the previous spending Lampard spent 10 million or so on waghorn, Malone and jozefzoon all now out of contract and the wrong side of 30 and with no sign of getting that money back.

46 minutes ago, Ram Bam said:

This. When ffp came in we needed to get smarter in the transfer market, you can still spend money but it needed to be on players who would improve and who's value went up. We went poo or bust signing Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman for the best part of 20 million that would all be either pushing or already the wrong side of 30 towards the end of their contract and unlikely to see much of a return on. Add in the presumably large wages for these plus those of Bent and Baird etc and that one season has seen us playing catch up financially ever since.

The annoying thing is we didn't learn our lesson, Anya for 4-5 mill the next year and then after we'd sold the ground to cover all the previous spending Lampard spent 10 million or so on waghorn, Malone and jozefzoon all now out of contract and the wrong side of 30 and with no sign of getting that money back.

Let's face it, our recruitment has been largely crap since Burley brought in the likes of Idiakez & Raziak for peanuts.  One thing I hope our new owner brings in is a Director of Football to oversee a top to bottom restructuring of the scouting, cus as it stands at the moment, it's dog****

7 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Let's face it, our recruitment has been largely crap since Burley brought in the likes of Idiakez & Raziak for peanuts.  One thing I hope our new owner brings in is a Director of Football to oversee a top to bottom restructuring of the scouting, cus as it stands at the moment, it's dog****

I suppose you could argue Big Frank brought in the 3 quality loans but some poo alongside them...

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I suppose you could argue Big Frank brought in the 3 quality loans but some poo alongside them...

Indeed but he signed Malone, Jozefzoon, Holmes, Marriott, Waghorn & Evans on permanent deals and it's hard to argue that any of them have really shown value for money.  Maybe Waghorn at a push...

36 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Clough was a bit hit and miss, but made a lot of good signings for not a lot of money (Martin, Bryson, Ward, Russell, Keogh etc).  McClaren's weren't too bad either.  And even the bad signings from those 2, you could at least see why they were being signed - the like of Albentosa and Sammon didn't really work out in practice, but on paper they at least addressed a deficiency in the squad. 

The signings after that just seem to have been made with zero thought at all.  Buying players purely because they were a good deal, not because we needed them.  Buying players without understanding what they were actually good at, or why they were successful at their previous clubs.  Buying players at the peak of their value. Buying players with no resale value for huge sums.  And so on and so on.  It almost feels like we had so much money to spend, we just didn't care about spending it well, whereas Clough and McClaren were having to think about every penny and made sure they wrung as much value from it as possible.

Mel Morris Advisors. 

The thing that always makes me laugh is the structure of thought that initially went into the Cocu appointment.

Morris openly admitted he had found a article on the internet and this said article had mentioned how cocu was the leading manager for bringing youth through the system whilst bringing success. Just do a little bit more research at the time and goo could see PSV fans berating the play style that cocu had try to implement at the club and it's “boring yet lacklustre performances”.

I can literally list every manager that has been at the club and how Mel has had a “run-in” with said manager.

Whoever advises Morris is also the criminal here. 

Archived