Famous people dying

Mostyn6

There’s been a lot in recent years. There are more ways to be famous than there used to be. 

Prince Phillip dying didn’t upset or even shock me, maybe cos he’d been in hospital and his health part of the discussion. I do have warm feelings towards him, and respectfully look back at his life. 99 is a cracking “innings” as it’s described. rest in peace 

I did however feel gutted when reading the story of 38 year old Big Brother star Nikki Grahame, and was surprised to see no mention of it. As cringeworthy and disapproving a lot of us are at the pure saturation of nonsense reality TV nowadays, back then, Big Brother was almost essential viewing and personally i found that I either had to totally ignore it or be totally addicted to it. The year Nikki was in it, was one of the years i was hooked on it. I loved her. Rest in peace. She lost her battle with anorexia. 

rapper DMX died too, having suffered a fatal heart attack. Some on here might not relate him to anything specific, but i bet if you’ve watched some films, you’ll recognise some tunes. He lived a good life, influenced many but sadly struggled with drugs, and that ultimately killed him. Rest in peace. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

There’s been a lot in recent years. There are more ways to be famous than there used to be. 

Prince Phillip dying didn’t upset or even shock me, maybe cos he’d been in hospital and his health part of the discussion. I do have warm feelings towards him, and respectfully look back at his life. 99 is a cracking “innings” as it’s described. rest in peace 

I did however feel gutted when reading the story of 38 year old Big Brother star Nikki Grahame, and was surprised to see no mention of it. As cringeworthy and disapproving a lot of us are at the pure saturation of nonsense reality TV nowadays, back then, Big Brother was almost essential viewing and personally i found that I either had to totally ignore it or be totally addicted to it. The year Nikki was in it, was one of the years i was hooked on it. I loved her. Rest in peace. She lost her battle with anorexia. 

rapper DMX died too, having suffered a fatal heart attack. Some on here might not relate him to anything specific, but i bet if you’ve watched some films, you’ll recognise some tunes. He lived a good life, influenced many but sadly struggled with drugs, and that ultimately killed him. Rest in peace. 

What celebrity death shocked you the most recently? 

Diana was a big one, although I never understood the grief of an entire nation afterwards.

Amy was sad, but it seemed almost inevitable from the moment she appeared, which wasn't the case.

Caroline Flack has been the one that moved me more than usual, no idea why that was?

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

Diana was a big one, although I never understood the grief of an entire nation afterwards.

Amy was sad, but it seemed almost inevitable from the moment she appeared, which wasn't the case.

Caroline Flack has been the one that moved me more than usual, no idea why that was?

Diana dying really upset me. My love for the royals died a little at the same time. 

Amy Winehouse was a delayed reaction. She died on my birthday, or the early hours of the next day. I was away with 7 mates in Crete, it kind of didnt sink in. When I watched a documentary a few years ago, it truly broke my heart and i cried my eyes out. Such a sad story. 

I genuinely didn’t know anything about Caroline Flack. Was sad seeing reactions of her friends. 

Gary Speed hit me too. Also for seeing how hurt others were. I’ll never forget seeing Sky sports Bryn Law breaking down on live tv, and then seeing John  carver, Shay Given and Craig Bellamy try to focus on football. 

I think I’m a cold person when it comes to celebrity deaths, no pun intended, I can’t really think of one which has had any more than a momentarily that’s sad feeling.

I don’t know if one day one will, feels wrong to list any that could “potentially”, if anything it will be ex Derby players from my glory days.

What rocks me more is when you see Manchester/London bombings, 911, school shootings, lives taken where it could easily have been someone I know, wrong place, wrong time, completely innocent and for what?

And this might sound a little odd, but when I read on this forum that members pets have passed away I’m reminded that one day it will be the dog I’m so attached to. 

This probably sounds pretty selfish in a way, I just find it hard to be overly attached to celebrities. 

19 minutes ago, David said:

I think I’m a cold person when it comes to celebrity deaths, no pun intended, I can’t really think of one which has had any more than a momentarily that’s sad feeling.

I don’t know if one day one will, feels wrong to list any that could “potentially”, if anything it will be ex Derby players from my glory days.

What rocks me more is when you see Manchester/London bombings, 911, school shootings, lives taken where it could easily have been someone I know, wrong place, wrong time, completely innocent and for what?

And this might sound a little odd, but when I read on this forum that members pets have passed away I’m reminded that one day it will be the dog I’m so attached to. 

This probably sounds pretty selfish in a way, I just find it hard to be overly attached to celebrities. 

Totally agree. It has to be close relatives or friends for me to be upset. However just one celebrity’s death did hit me and that was Glenn Frey. The Eagles are my band. Have been since the early 70s. Seen them several times and met him once. His passing was very sad for me. Played The Heat is On and You Belong to the City, and Take it Easy for days after.

1 minute ago, Turk Thrust said:

Totally agree. It has to be close relatives or friends for me to be upset. However just one celebrity’s death did hit me and that was Glenn Frey. The Eagles are my band. Have been since the early 70s. Seen them several times and met him once. His passing was very sad for me. Played The Heat is On and You Belong to the City, and Take it Easy for days after.

Being a rock fan I've know a few of my favourite bands lose members. The most recent was Eddie Van Halen. I knew he was unwell but when the news broke it was still a shock.

32 minutes ago, David said:

I don't think that's odd, the members pets belong to members that you have a tenuous link to, and a little knowledge of, so its a little more personal at least, and you probably subconsciously at least put yourself in their shoes.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

DMX hit me harddue to him being so young.  Let’s face it, Prince Philip looked dead for a good few years

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Sir Sean Connery knocked me for six. Just one of those people who always seemed larger than life, and that they’d be around forever.

Same when Sir Brian passed away, I sat and shed a tear at my work desk when I heard.

50 minutes ago, David said:

You wait till Bruce Willis slips of the mortal coil. Then you’ll know how it feels.

The CPS got crap unlimited hoyed their way regards Caroline Flacks death unfairly in my opinion - the rules for domestic abuse were changed quite rightly to circumnavigate an abused person not wanting to press charges against their abuser for fear of further reprisals so as soon as an incident was reported to the police then the CPS had duty of care to progress it.

Of course the subsequent trolling of her in the media and vitriolic abuse was unquestionably totally beyond the pale.

1 hour ago, David said:

Pretty much the same when hearing of the death of a celebrity. I can never understand the grieve shown by the general public for someone they've only seen on tv.

I found the none stop coverage of the death of the Duke of Edinburgh, that was spread over the Friday, Saturday and Sunday a little OTT.

He may have played some role in the life of our nation but with having no direct connection to him or his family, I don't feel any personal loss when his death was announced. 

As for his funeral on the Saturday, I'll probably give it a passing interest but it will be more to it's historical significance. This will be more than I gave to the funeral of Diana. Which I spent on Mablethorpe beach, building sandcastles with my kids.

The 3 biggest shocks for me combined the level of fame with the suddenness of death so...

Elvis

John Lennon

Diana

Begore my time, but apparently despite being a Wolves/Derby fan my Dad was devastated by the Munich Air Crash. Mum said he was inconsolable.

She said that and the Aberfan disaster were the only times she saw him cry.

I don't really get upset or shocked by people dying tbh, young or old **** happens - it is obviously more sad/tragic depending on the age of a person but ultimately I don't really know them so...

That said I don't get the twitterati that take glee in someone's passing, especially as its usually the 'be kind' generation.  I was always taught 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'. 

I guess the only time I sat in front of the TV in shock as people were literally dying live on air was 9/11.  There have been other attacks closer to home such as 7/7 or the Manchester Arena bombing but 9/11 was broadcast live and it was both compelling and horrific in equal measure - although I've now answered a different question to the one intended by the OP so ignore that ? 

I was gutted when Cloughie died. Apart from family members, he was the only one whose death affected me for more than a day or so. Usually it's a "How sad. Oh, look - a butterfly" reaction and I move on. 

A death now and my first reaction is typically to check their age and if they are older than me, my typical reaction is "Oh well, they've had a good innings". If they are younger, then my (mental) reaction is "Woo-hoo! In your face, <random celebrity>. That's another one I've beaten." before "Oh, look. A butterfly" kicks in again.

Archived