Famous people dying

Mostyn6

The saddest part about Prince Phillip was that it's the 70+ years of marriage ended for an old lady. Queen or not that's just sad. 

Some celebrities bring you joy through what they do and I can understand it effecting you if they conjured up nice memories etc. Like Bob Mortimer has made me cry with laughter over the years and thinking about him makes me smile. If a celebrity like that dies then it will feel like a loss. 

Caroline Flak I felt was bullied into the grave. Her being a celebrity only made the case easy to learn. It was a shocking case of bullying that the media constantly get away with. It happens in school playgrounds, constructions sites and factory floors and bullying pisses me off no end. So that death with all its coverage made me angry

But then ones like Nikki Graham. I saw her in Big Brother and thought she was embarrassing herself. I didn't like her. I wouldn't wish any suffering on her and I'd rather she still be here. But if I was to say I'm sad about it then it would be a lie to gain likes or attention. 

Alan Rickman was a good one mentioned. For my Mrs he played a small part in some happy memories spent watching Harry Potter with her family. He's a small part of her childhood and it's natural to feel a sense of loss. 

Never felt a great sense of loss for Prince Phillip but the idea of a widowed old lady does make me feel some sympathy. But she has a better support network than most so its actually less sad than some peasant!

Roger Lloyd Pack for me, and Alan Rickman as mentioned. 

I grew up watching Only Fools as a kid, even though I was born in 1990, and still to this day laugh out loud at some of the lines Trigger delivers. 

Harry Potter was a big part of my childhood, so Alan Rickman for that reason.

On 12/04/2021 at 21:03, richinspain said:

Don't know why, but Colin Vearncombe's (Black) death came as a great shock. I loved his first album, but never really heard much else. We had "Wonderful Life" played at our wedding.

That album - beautiful.

I remember driving back home after holding my dad's hand when he died, hew was only 47.

I had that tape on constantly in January 1988 just makes me cry when I play it through still even now, especially Sweetest Smile and Everything's Coming Up Roses. 

It all has a sad but strong emotional resonance with me which will never leave me. I hope it never does. 

I'm glad your experience with it is more positive.

3 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

That album - beautiful.

I remember driving back home after holding my dad's hand when he died, hew was only 47.

I had that tape on constantly in January 1988 just makes me cry when I play it through still even now, especially Sweetest Smile and Everything's Coming Up Roses. 

It all has a sad but strong emotional resonance with me which will never leave me. I hope it never does. 

I didn't know whether to put a heart or a tear, so put the clap emoji. I'm sorry to hear about your father. 

On 12/04/2021 at 16:03, richinspain said:

Don't know why, but Colin Vearncombe's (Black) death came as a great shock. I loved his first album, but never really heard much else. We had "Wonderful Life" played at our wedding.

The first album is beautiful...I listened it on repeat as a 18 year old...I didn't even know he had died...now i feel bad that I haven't listened to it for ages....going to put it on this afternoon....

I don't really feel any "real sadness" when "celebrities" die maybe it will be different when one of my ultimate heroes pass away, but fortunately for me I don't really know who these "celebrities" that are being spoke about....I have no idea who Caroline Flack or Nikki Graham were, just read about them both, a really sad story...poor ladies.

5 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

That album - beautiful.

Sad story but powerful.

I'd never heard of him, but listening to it now I know Wonderful Life.

The only "famous" person I was really sad about dying (and still am) is Grant McLennan from the Go-betweens. 

They had been one of my favourite bands and I managed to see them 3 times, all great gigs and at memorable moments of my life.

He died totally out of the blue at 48 from a heart attack. I think it's the younger deaths that are the worst.

On 13/04/2021 at 10:01, Alpha said:

The saddest part about Prince Phillip was that it's the 70+ years of marriage ended for an old lady. Queen or not that's just sad. 

"Time at the bar (time to go now)" Song by The Men They Couldn't Hang...