Home v Norwich Matchday Thread

sage

1 minute ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

5 shots on target each, they were just more clinical and their keeper made 2 fabulous saves. 

It's not the quantity of shots it's the quality of chances that matter. Reading looked in a different league to us going forward, much sharper, better movement and created much better chances. I wouldn't even say they were much more clinical tbh.  Our goal came from a 25 yard wonder strike and whilst we got into some interesting positions we didn't actually create much. 

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Given we could have conceded 5 against Reading, I'll take a 2-0 defeat right now just for the goal difference. 

0-3 would do me....reminds me of wondering how many we would concede before a game in our 11 point season ?

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

It's not the quantity of shots it's the quality of chances that matter. Reading looked in a different league to us going forward, much sharper, better movement and created much better chances. I wouldn't even say they were much more clinical tbh.  Our goal came from a 25 yard wonder strike and whilst we got into some interesting positions we didn't actually create much. 

I think you've overestimated Reading but there was a bit of a difference in quality. We just made more mistakes but we could easily have been ahead at half time (just as much as you think they could have scored 5 second half).  Plus they have Lucas Joao

Just now, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I think you've overestimated Reading but there was a bit of a difference in quality. We just made more mistakes but we could easily have been ahead at half time (just as much as you think they could have scored 5 second half).  Plus they have Lucas Joao

We deserved to go in level but second half they put us to the sword as we had to come out a bit our defence couldn't deal with them. Lucas Jao wasn't even put on until like the 75th minute- Meite was causing havoc, could have had 2 penalties and missed a 1 vs 1. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

0-3 would do me....reminds me of wondering how many we would concede before a game in our 11 point season ?

Norwich now up, they could have the deck chairs out early, could Derby really beat them, of course we can, be just like us very poor all season, but do the double over the champions, that would be typical Derby's CKR, to find the net and  Sibley, in a very surprised Derby 2-1 win, my glass is always half full. Or i am just a dreamer. Lol

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

We deserved to go in level but second half they put us to the sword as we had to come out a bit our defence couldn't deal with them. Lucas Jao wasn't even put on until like the 75th minute- Meite was causing havoc, could have had 2 penalties and missed a 1 vs 1. 

Point is that guy is quality and doesn't need much to score

16 minutes ago, sage said:

Marshall

Mengi          Wisdom        Forsyth

McDonald/Byrne             Shinnie            Bird              Buchanan

Knight

Lawrence               Jozwiak

Roos   McDonald/Ebosele   Bateman   A.Brown   Baningime  Watson   Roberts   Sibley   CKR

Alamo defence, try and catch them on the break. All goes tits up if they score early, but it's our only hope. Not starting CKR may seem controversial but we need him for other games. I would ask for 60 -70 minutes of hard work from the wing backs and front 3 with the plan of subbing most/all of them.  

Highlighted the key point.

And it's indicative of Rooney's negative tactics. Even with Clarke, our best defender, available we have struggled to keep a clean sheet.

And, by not playing enough creative players, we've not been able to outscore teams.

10 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Point is that he wasn't on the pitch for even a quarter of the game and they were cutting us open before he came on. 

They have a better team than us but I still don't think they could easily have scored 5 in the second half. Anyway, we have created more chances in the last couple of matches and scored 2 and 1 so expecting more fight in the next match again shame about injuries.

22 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Highlighted the key point.

And it's indicative of Rooney's negative tactics. Even with Clarke, our best defender, available we have struggled to keep a clean sheet.

And, by not playing enough creative players, we've not been able to outscore teams.

We did have a good run of clean sheets. They became more difficult after Beilik got injured.

Tactics and selection are important but we don't have a good enough squad. In terms of results under Rooney, we have just about punched our weight.

We don't appear to have either an individual or collective "thou shalt not pass" attitude to keep a clean sheet. 

But neither do we appear to have the ability in our personnel to worry opponents sufficiently to not attack in numbers. 

It's a sorry state of affairs. I expect a long 90 mins with stats stacked against us in terms of possession, chances and we'll lose by a couple of goals. 

I'm just looking to see some fight and bodies on the line. All of reading's 3 goals were powderpuff in their own way... 

Norwich and especially Buendia-Pukki combo are on fire at the moment. During the international break, latter commented something about being finally injury free and in best form of his life. They are way better team than start of the season when we poohoused them. I wish we would progress same way during the season...

We have a chance if we 

- don't try to play from the back,

- don't play Lawrence against Aarons,

- somehow stop Buendia. Forsyth or Buchanan are not good enough for that and will need a lot of help from the winger.

- target Hanley with high pressure,

- play with low defensive line to stop Pukki's runs.

Obviously high pressure and low defensive line is very taxing for a midfielders but let Shinnie and Knight run, that's what they are good at.

9 hours ago, sage said:

Marshall

Mengi          Wisdom        Forsyth

McDonald/Byrne             Shinnie            Bird              Buchanan

Knight

Lawrence               Jozwiak

Roos   McDonald/Ebosele   Bateman   A.Brown   Baningime  Watson   Roberts   Sibley   CKR

Alamo defence, try and catch them on the break. All goes tits up if they score early, but it's our only hope. Not starting CKR may seem controversial but we need him for other games. I would ask for 60 -70 minutes of hard work from the wing backs and front 3 with the plan of subbing most/all of them.  

Swap knight for Sibley and we might get something special in that position again.

9 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Norwich now up, they could have the deck chairs out early, could Derby really beat them, of course we can, be just like us very poor all season, but do the double over the champions, that would be typical Derby's CKR, to find the net and  Sibley, in a very surprised Derby 2-1 win, my glass is always half full. Or i am just a dreamer. Lol

Very similar talk to quite a few on here re before the Reading game, just couldn't see it (hence my 3-0 prediction) just like I just can't see us getting anything at all out of this, especially with a depleted side (hence my 1-4 prediction).......as regards motivation, I think the chance to clinch promotion with a win will be a big motivator for them.....

12 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Swap knight for Sibley and we might get something special in that position again.

For the last 20-30 minutes yes. Too much of a liability defensively and losing possession to start v them.

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Being optimistic.... it’s quite a common occurrence when a team has absolutely leathered another in a game that the following game ends in a shock defeat ???????? ?
Let’s hope the stars have aligned to make this so ????????

Yes but they’re playing us! ?

Archived