Home v Norwich Matchday Thread

sage

12 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

I don’t use social media and never will.  What exactly is the point? Somebody telling the world what they’ve done that day? Who cares. Get on with your own life instead of being bothered by somebody else’s. 

Do you mean other than staying in touch with friends and family, some of them you'll never see because of distance etc. Sharing among groups with common interests, being entertained, keeping up to date with news etc etc - Social media has its very real and big problems but the world isn't binary, you can take the good out of something and avoid the bad. There are a lot of positives.

All that said, one of the big big issues with Twitter in particular is that people place themselves in to echo chambers, in short, they don't tend to follow people they disagree with. It normalises their behaviour and this is where we're at.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

I don’t use social media and never will.  What exactly is the point? Somebody telling the world what they’ve done that day? Who cares. Get on with your own life instead of being bothered by somebody else’s. 

Speaking as someone who has totally self isolated since March last year with a Mrs who has been housebound and regularly contacts friends, family, church, organisations and charities all over the world, I can say, to quote Sergeant Windsor Davies..

"I've never heard such a load of drivel in my whole life sir!"

45 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Speaking as someone who has totally self isolated since March last year with a Mrs who has been housebound and regularly contacts friends, family, church, organisations and charities all over the world, I can say, to quote Sergeant Windsor Davies..

"I've never heard such a load of drivel in my whole life sir!"

I did exactly the same thing before the advent of the internet and social media, still do, and have had no problems whatsoever. 
“Drivel” is what most of us that were born before 1980 must have been partaking in then according to your ridiculous quotation. 

10 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

I did exactly the same thing before the advent of the internet and social media, still do, and have had no problems whatsoever. 
“Drivel” is what most of us that were born before 1980 must have been partaking in then according to your ridiculous quotation. 

Do you not think this Forum is social media then? 

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

Drivel!image.png.50b2bb6018a067f9d4c43a5adcad60ef.png

17 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Second half Norwich were in second gear? How do you know that? Were they trying not to score? Were they trying not to pass each other? Were they really just sitting back? Maybe we just gave them less time on the ball? Maybe we our performance was actually better? Maybe we deserve just a little credit for taking the game to them, rather than them letting little old Derby have a bit of the ball. Maybe we were in second gear first half?

Second half Norwich were in second gear? Yes

How do you know that? Because their attacking intent in the first half seemed to move to containment in the second. Less flying forward, less committing men forward, happier to sit and manage the game, well aware of Derby's general inability to come from a goal down, particularly against teams that put numbers behind the ball.

Were they trying not to score? Yes I imagine they were, but it seemed to be more if the opportunity arose, rather than actively committing players to attack in the same way as they did when it was 0-0.

Were they trying not to pass each other? Yes they were trying to pass to each other

Were they really just sitting back? Yes, compared to the first half, not in a everyone behind the ball kind of way, but in a more conservative style of play to the first. They had the goal, and they seemed happy enough to defend it. 

Maybe we just gave them less time on the ball? We did indeed give them less time on the ball

Maybe we our performance was actually better? It was better, but that wasn't hard after an ineffective first half

Maybe we deserve just a little credit for taking the game to them, rather than them letting little old Derby have a bit of the ball. Do we deserve to take credit for trying to attack a team in a home game during the second half? I would like to think this was a given. The front players deserve little credit for their final ball/cross/shot.

Maybe we were in second gear first half?  Maybe, if first gear simply means being not very good.

21 hours ago, ram59 said:

Byrne is definitely first choice, Davies was first choice at the time of his injury, Clark is first choice, Bielik is definitely first choice, either Gregory and/or Waghorn were selected when injured. CKR wouldn't be first choice atm.

You're absolutely right about Byrne, I forgot about him. Bielik I wasn't counting in this as he's long term out but it's a fair point. Not convinced either Waghorn or Gregory is automatic first choice and it's hard to argue why they should get in ahead of CKR, even though he's lost a bit of form. Not having Davies I'm afraid. Even if fit, he's behind Clarke, Wisdom, Mengi and Edmunson. Mind you, if he was fit, we might not have bought one of the latter two in, who knows? 

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

You're absolutely right about Byrne, I forgot about him. Bielik I wasn't counting in this as he's long term out but it's a fair point. Not convinced either Waghorn or Gregory is automatic first choice and it's hard to argue why they should get in ahead of CKR, even though he's lost a bit of form. Not having Davies I'm afraid. Even if fit, he's behind Clarke, Wisdom, Mengi and Edmunson. Mind you, if he was fit, we might not have bought one of the latter two in, who knows? 

We'll have to agree to disagree then, Davies was captain and preferred choice over Wisdom at CB at the time of his injury, unfortunately his replacement Edmunson is also out for the rest of the season.

Archived