v Stoke City (A) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

4 minutes ago, Coconut said:

It's well documented Waghorn has struggled with his mental health before. Funny you mention Holmes because he's since said he's been struggling hasn't he?

It's just bizarre how he could go from being praised for his training one day, to being dropped from the squad altogether two days later with an accusation of 'not trying in training' as the reason for it.

As you say it doesn't sound like he's a trouble maker so what's happened?

It's odd and I do wonder if it's something around him not being picked to start after thinking he might (perhaps off the back of Rooneys comments) ? 

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I wouldn’t say over-hyped academy, overly reliant on academy players more accurate....

Agree. Still think the sheer amount of academy talent we have is certainly the best we’ve had in my lifetime. Buchanan Bird Sibley Knight will all play in the premier league imo. But believing we are in a position right now to have 50% of a match day squad made up of academy players and still be competitive was the wrong assumption and I think the biggest reason why we are where we are. The four players I mention above have shown their quality but also had prolonged dips in form. We can’t rely on them yet.

19 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Agree. Still think the sheer amount of academy talent we have is certainly the best we’ve had in my lifetime. Buchanan Bird Sibley Knight will all play in the premier league imo. But believing we are in a position right now to have 50% of a match day squad made up of academy players and still be competitive was the wrong assumption and I think the biggest reason why we are where we are. The four players I mention above have shown their quality but also had prolonged dips in form. We can’t rely on them yet.

Agree...

4 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Call me optimistic but I honestly think that Bird, Sibley, Knight, Buchanan and Watson all look like they'd have a reasonable shot at developing into premiership players with the right coaching as they've all shown flashes of that level of ability.

I still think our mistake this season hasn't been relying on them and has been more not trusting them enough. 

Bird has a good football brain and lovely technique but lacks pace. Same for Sibley. I don’t think they will make the Pl because for players of their ilk pace is a prerequisite. Knight has great energy and is a good destructive player but needs to develop his play in possession. Maybe he could make it. Buchanan - just don’t know how he will progress, could do well but needs to develop physically. Watson has pace and more ability than the rest. 
Rooney does not appear to be good at developing our talent 

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

It's well documented Waghorn has struggled with his mental health before. Funny you mention Holmes because he's since said he's been struggling hasn't he?

It's just bizarre how he could go from being praised for his training one day, to being dropped from the squad altogether two days later with an accusation of 'not trying in training' as the reason for it.

Praised one day, criticised the next, not a good mix really if you're struggling for confidence or just struggling in general.

As you say it doesn't sound like he's a trouble maker so what's happened?

It doesn’t seem to make much sense, but then again very little that Rooney does makes any sense. Prioritises hard working runners over actual decent footballers, despite being the most lazy half arsed player I’ve seen at Derby in many a year! 

It can’t be good for squad harmony all of these failings out, it’ll affect the other players in the squad who Waghorn is close to - he’s a popular figure in the dressing room from what I can tell. I don’t get the feeling that Rooney fully has the squad behind him, based on the efforts we’ve seen in recent weeks.

And of course you blame the players for not doing their job properly, which is absolutely right and Waghorn should be ashamed if he’s not putting the work into training - but you have to question the manager too. Do they players not believe in him? Does he get into arguments too easily? To be honest the way he got the job from Cocu absolutely reeks of Rooney undermining his position, and if you saw that as another player, I suspect you wouldn’t be too happy.

As an aside, genuinely don’t think I’ve disliked a Derby manager more than Wayne Rooney in a long time. At this point I can’t stand the bloke, I even prefer Rowett. The way he goes around with the aura of thinking he’s some sort of managerial genius, when the results on the pitch are showing anything but. And his effort as a player as well, half arsed is probably generous. Ever since his signing was announced we’ve been on a downward spiral, and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. I think he’s been a key factor in our downfall to League One, and frankly I haven’t felt this negatively about someone associated with Derby County since Billy Davies.

3 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

None of us know the back story here do we. For example, could be that Waghorn has just been offered terms for next season at 40% of his current pay and he feels a bit disrespected? Who knows. 

Indeed, doubt we will ever find out either. Don’t think it’ll be anything contract related though, he’d lay any ill will at the boards door if that was the case.

Well another damp squib, another false dawn ,,,, boy I would kill to see us lose a game through going all out for a win and being a bit naive,

We need 3 wins to stay up and we seem to be trying to sneak them , ffs where’s the attitude , where’s the sight of a team fired up from the first whistle going at the opponents so determined to TAKE that win they leave nothing on the pitch?
I said it at the start of the cocu reign when we brought in a manager to do the job his way then brought in a coach/ tv pundit to tell him how to do it in the championship, we then brought Rooney in to coach under him or undermine him ??‍♂️,you takes your pick,

we then made these two / three management by committee ,then finally chose the biggest personality of the three to take the lead role but all the cooks remained who had been instrumental in serving up bad meals to the point of poison ,

we now have players like waghorn dropped from the squad for poor training ??‍♂️, say what you like about his quality but he’s been a pro everywhere else and especially through joinersgate stuff, kids like sibley bursting on to the scene with real talent and promise now sounding confused and dejected , bird going downhill to the point of looking absolute gash yesterday,

it’s a clusterduck mess and if we stay up it will be pure luck because I see no plan , no improvement, no vision, no togetherness, no fight , no will to WIN

8 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

quite right. agree with every word. these players will all be good players. now. there just to young i think

quick example- west ham 2003 got relegated with joe cole. carrick. defoe. glen johnson and noble in their squad. all came through the academy. all had top careers 

16 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

quite right. agree with every word. these players will all be good players. now. there just to young i think

quick example- west ham 2003 got relegated with joe cole. carrick. defoe. glen johnson and noble in their squad. all came through the academy. all had top careers 

That’s probably the best example and everyone was saying how the hell were West Ham relegated?!

11 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

None of us know the back story here do we. For example, could be that Waghorn has just been offered terms for next season at 40% of his current pay and he feels a bit disrespected? Who knows. 

If I had put in a string of pitiful performances like Waghorn had this season, I would be delighted with 40% of my exorbitant wages. 

Whatever he has done, presumably it is worse than what we have seen on the pitch so it must be pretty bad. 

Doesn’t bode well in my opinion. Teams in our position need unity. What a poo show.

3 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

If I had put in a string of pitiful performances like Waghorn had this season, I would be delighted with 40% of my exorbitant wages. 

Whatever he has done, presumably it is worse than what we have seen on the pitch so it must be pretty bad. 

Doesn’t bode well in my opinion. Teams in our position need unity. What a poo show.

Not sure if we are more of a shambles on or off the pitch...

Archived