Half of all Championship clubs on the brink of collapse

Gringo

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can say what you like about Americans. The fact that they’re xenophobic racists, and 99% of the population  have no fashion sense, but one thing they do know how to do is keep sports fair. Obviously the draft system couldn’t be applied over here, but the the salary cap would be the best way to at least try and make things competitive. If every club could afford to pay similar wages for a players then it comes down to coaching and recruitment to make you the best. 

Saying that, with our scouting system, we’d still be screwed ? 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

See above - qualify for Europe. 

..and be knocked out of Europe in the early stages every single year like Celtic & Rangers and every other club from a nation of minnows  because you can't actually sign any players capable of competing at that level.

The very limit of capability you'd see from any of your players would be early 2020 Rooney, you'd never witness any truly 'great' players live unless at the very end of their career. Stephen Pearson would be a GOD to you because he helped you win the league. That sort of thing.

58 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

You can say what you like about Americans, but one thing they do know how to do is keep sports fair.

American sport is horrible. They don't have clubs, they have franchises. Teams relocate to other parts of the country. No relegations or promotions. Commercialization is bad in British football but it's 10 times worse over there.

I think we should stop promotion and seek our own European competition for the top 6 championship teams. 

we should also kick them out of the league cup. 

Becoming a sustainable premier league team is no longer a realistic ambition for championship clubs.
EPL clubs have 10x the income of championship clubs. After a decade of this disparity championship clubs have effectively been cut adrift.

promoted clubs can’t compete and crash out within a couple of seasons. For the championship this is creating a limited pool of clubs with parachute money that dwarfs the income of the other championship clubs. So the EPL is polluting the championship by creating an unfair advantage. baalocks to them . Cut them lose and the premier league will become meaningless for all but the top 6. 
meanwhile the possibility of playing in Europe could create a great boost.

There are many great teams in Europe that similarly have no realistic chance of competing against the elite clubs in Europe. I’m not bothered if we never play Man City or Man Utd ever again* - but I would like to qualify to play against some decent teams in Europe. 

* we can still play them in the f.a. Cup. 

Screenshot_20210308-225125.thumb.png.686fb4548e3f15acb3391d1c9bc56b47.png

2014 league table, should Leicester have stayed down and entered the Anglo Italian cup instead, seeing as they had no chance of competing?

Becoming a sustainable premier league team is no longer a realistic ambition for championship clubs.

Exactly, I remember last season Norwich's manager saying there goal was to just be a top 26 team because he knew this. As more and more seasons go on, more PL teams join the category of "In no danger of relegation". It used to be about 4-5 teams now it's almost half the PL, with Leicester being the latest. Eventually the PL will just run out of room. I personally hope something like the European Super League happens so the "big teams" can just clear off. 

29 minutes ago, Rev said:

Screenshot_20210308-225125.thumb.png.686fb4548e3f15acb3391d1c9bc56b47.png

2014 league table, should Leicester have stayed down and entered the Anglo Italian cup instead, seeing as they had no chance of competing?

A multi-billionaire owner might have had a bit to do with their subsequent survival. 
But if you think that the fleeting opportunity provided for the promoted clubs to rub up with the elite is worth the permanent damage inflicted on the rest of the league then yeah ? carry on. 

How would they decide on premier league clubs at that point, you probably be looking at who are the biggest clubs based on attendances/fan base history rather than a snapshot right now. We might just sneak in. 

I’d probably go with 

Man United 

liverpool 

arsenal 

chelsea 

Man City 

Everton 

Spurs 

West Ham 

newcastle 

Southampton 

Leeds 

Villa 

sheffield Wednesday 

Derby 

Forest 

Leicester

sheffield United 

sunderland 

Thats 18, I’d probably like to make it up to 24 to keep it really competitive like the championship. 

Imagine in order to stay in the league they have to sell out stadiums every week etc suddenly you’ll have owners tasking their managers with playing entertaining football every week to keep people turning up, lowering prices to watch gems etc. 

6 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

How would they decide on premier league clubs at that point, you probably be looking at who are the biggest clubs based on attendances/fan base history rather than a snapshot right now. We might just sneak in. 

I’d probably go with 

Man United 

liverpool 

arsenal 

chelsea 

Man City 

Everton 

Spurs 

West Ham 

newcastle 

Southampton 

Leeds 

Villa 

sheffield Wednesday 

Derby 

Forest 

Leicester

sheffield United 

sunderland 

Thats 18, I’d probably like to make it up to 24 to keep it really competitive like the championship. 

Imagine in order to stay in the league they have to sell out stadiums every week etc suddenly you’ll have owners tasking their managers with playing entertaining football every week to keep people turning up, lowering prices to watch gems etc. 

Less than zero chance of that happening. If they decided to reduce the size of the premier league they would simply change the number of teams relegated or promoted for as long as it takes.

9 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

You can say what you like about Americans. The fact that they’re xenophobic racists, and 99% of the population  have no fashion sense, but one thing they do know how to do is keep sports fair. Obviously the draft system couldn’t be applied over here, but the the salary cap would be the best way to at least try and make things competitive. If every club could afford to pay similar wages for a players then it comes down to coaching and recruitment to make you the best. 

Saying that, with our scouting system, we’d still be screwed ? 

Soccer is a far more worldwide sport so I am not sure how it could be imposed at an elite level.  You are right something like that would be best but there is nothing in it for the big clubs to risk their dominance 

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Soccer is a far more worldwide sport so I am not sure how it could be imposed at an elite level.  You are right something like that would be best but there is nothing in it for the big clubs to risk their dominance 

Surely a salary cap (percentage of income) would ensure the elite remain as the elite?

The Champions League group stage currently works in groups of 4 with 6 fixtures, each team played twice. The new format will have 10 games from just one 'group' of all 36 teams, play (some)  teams once only. Top 'x' teams go to k/o rounds.

If this works could perhaps apply domestically to bridge gulf between PL and championship, also could have different numbers of domestic fixtures for teams in and out of euro comps. Would take some working out, but could be done I think.

9 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Exactly, I remember last season Norwich's manager saying there goal was to just be a top 26 team because he knew this. As more and more seasons go on, more PL teams join the category of "In no danger of relegation". It used to be about 4-5 teams now it's almost half the PL, with Leicester being the latest. Eventually the PL will just run out of room. I personally hope something like the European Super League happens so the "big teams" can just clear off. 

Who would decide who goes into this super league ? This would be terrible in my opinion. It would devalue the domestic league in the same way as cups. This elitist kind of thinking just serves to make a few select clubs much richer while hindering  any progress for most clubs in this country. Suddenly the Premier League would not have the pull anymore without certain clubs. Also, it isn’t a given who will be relegated at the start of a season- promoted teams don’t always go down straight away. I think Mel Morris has been right, a fairer TV deal for the championship is needed, especially when there is demand-some clubs would attract bigger audiences than Premier League teams 

14 hours ago, Rev said:

This would play into the Premier League's hands. They'd absolutely love a franchise system with the same teams year in year out. The occasional new owner buying a franchise and relocating it, with certainty of income over a 5 year spell!

Franchising works in the states where there are big cities with no major teams. Here even small towns have 1 or 2 teams with tribal heritages so once you parachute a team into , say , Newcastle or Brum, where do you move it in 5 years?

25 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Franchising works in the states where there are big cities with no major teams. Here even small towns have 1 or 2 teams with tribal heritages so once you parachute a team into , say , Newcastle or Brum, where do you move it in 5 years?

Milton Keynes!

Ending parachute payments might be an idea

Make it mandatory that Teams promoted to the Prem have to have player contracts with realistic salary bands, so that upon relegation the highly paid players either have to take the pay cut or their contracts are cancelled with no pay off. 

I don't get the current system at all, and I don't see how it benefits either league

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Ending promotion would be a horrible, horrible idea. Ducking poo.

Something needs to change though right? The direction of travel is DCFC May never being part of the PL majority again.

I this were to be true then what do we want? Being part of a sustainable football league with chance of winning and growing it as a brand could have potential.

Like darts breakaway... Different Boxing Boards etc.

If the PL/EFL fairness could be fixed it would still be my preferred choice. But if it stays as it is then EFL will wither and die anyway?

Archived