Half of all Championship clubs on the brink of collapse

Gringo

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/03/08/exclusive-efl-urged-wage-war-premier-league-championship-remains/

This is behind a paywall I am afraid but it makes grim reading, essentially

1. The government stopped a loan of £8m per championship club at 48 hours notice, over demands to reduce player wages but the clubs refused, but government gave £295m to Arsenal and Tottenham,
  2. Rick Parry is at war with Nigel Huddlestone the sports minister and visa versa
  3. The premiership relies on promotion and relegation to keep the premiership interesting, it is being suggested by EFL clubs no promotion to and no relegation from Premiership ( I think this is a good idea to get the Championship clubs a better share of the TV money0
  4. 50% of championship clubs on the brink of collapse.

My thoughts are that if Mel was not funding us now we would have gone already

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't understand point 3 unless I'm being thick. What would teams play for every year in the Championship if there was no possibility of promotion? Sounds like they would just be existing.

I never liked the idea of a closed shop to be fair. 

Leverage my dear boy, leverage.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What would teams play for every year in the Championship if there was no possibility of promotion?

Playing for the football league championship.

What is any football club really playing for, other than to be champions of a particular season.

Football never ends, so it's all pointless ultimately other than to provide entertainment and a source of belonging to something.

10 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/03/08/exclusive-efl-urged-wage-war-premier-league-championship-remains/

This is behind a paywall I am afraid but it makes grim reading, essentially

1. The government stopped a loan of £8m per championship club at 48 hours notice, over demands to reduce player wages but the clubs refused, but government gave £295m to Arsenal and Tottenham.

The government loaned Spurs and Arsenal money under a different, non football specific scheme. In normal times, both those clubs can cover their costs. 

I wouldn't like to see our money lent to clubs who can't/won't attempt to reduce outgoings to a realistic level, and refuse even no to cut costs, why chuck good money after bad?

1. Rick Parry is at war with Nigel Huddlestone the sports minister and visa versa.

Parry should go in hard and early, experience tells us Huddlestone will bottle it from then on in.

1. The premiership relies on promotion and relegation to keep the premiership interesting, it is being suggested by EFL clubs no promotion to and no relegation from Premiership ( I think this is a good idea to get the Championship clubs a better share of the TV money.

This would play into the Premier League's hands. They'd absolutely love a franchise system with the same teams year in year out. The occasional new owner buying a franchise and relocating it, with certainty of income over a 5 year spell!

The EFL without promotion at the top end would die quickly, the TV money would fall through the floor even compared to now. It may be better for us fans mind, seeing as we wouldn't be on TV, but I wouldn't like to think being the 2nd class Champions of England would be the limit of our ambition.

1. 50% of championship clubs on the brink of collapse.

I'm surprised it's so low.

My thoughts are that if Mel was not funding us now we would have gone already

Agreed,but that's been the case since he took over. And GSE, The League of Gentleman and Lionel Pickering before him.

First reaction (of no promotion) was that would be terrible what we aspire for/to.

My second reaction was.. From football perspective we could be better off being a bigger fish in smaller EFL pond. Craziness of throwing money you don’t have to get out would be gone and it could be as close as I can imagine to the “good old days”.

Bring it on..

3 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

First reaction (of no promotion) was that would be terrible what we aspire for/to.

My second reaction was.. From football perspective we could be better off being a bigger fish in smaller EFL pond. Craziness of throwing money you don’t have to get out would be gone and it could be as close as I can imagine to the “good old days”.

Bring it on..

Whilst that makes sense and is good for a big Champ club, if the tv money increases etc it will ultimately turn the Champ into the new Prem and League 1 clubs spending more to get to the riches of the Championship

Agree with DS. The Championship title would be up for grabs everytime which is more feasible than trying to win the Premiership!  Possibly more tv revenue and I believe more club stability. Forget about the Premiership (as it is just like two/three horse race in Scotland but with six/seven teams battling it out every boring season). We can still play Premiership teams in the FA cup and with possibly the Championship winner playing Premiership teams for a place in Europa Cup! 

57 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't understand point 3 unless I'm being thick. What would teams play for every year in the Championship if there was no possibility of promotion? Sounds like they would just be existing.

For one season it wouldn't have much of an impact. But over time, the crap clubs opt to spend less and less to make more and more profit. Overall quality declines followed by fewer viewers and less sponsorship money.

52 minutes ago, eccles the ram said:

Agree with DS. The Championship title would be up for grabs everytime which is more feasible than trying to win the Premiership!  Possibly more tv revenue and I believe more club stability. Forget about the Premiership (as it is just like two/three horse race in Scotland but with six/seven teams battling it out every boring season). We can still play Premiership teams in the FA cup and with possibly the Championship winner playing Premiership teams for a place in Europa Cup! 

Why would the PL give up a Europa Cup place? Why would UEFA accept a 2nd Division team?

Why would the FA invite a breakaway league into their cup? 

The League cup would have it's European qualification removed too, as that's in the gift of the PL. They'd just extend league qualification one place down.

56 minutes ago, eccles the ram said:

Agree with DS. The Championship title would be up for grabs everytime which is more feasible than trying to win the Premiership! 

..and completely meaningless.

Hooray, you're the best of the rest. That's your limit. That's all you'll ever be.

Those shitty little clubs who've had more beneficial circumstances and/or luck than you in the short term (in the grand scheme of things) will now forever be seen as the elite the country has to offer, and you'll never be able to challenge that.

Whatever you do from this point is insignificant, nobody cares, and you'll never ever ever have the chance to reach the national conscience again because in this particular 10/20 year period in your 140 year history you weren't good enough.

duck that.

I think we should stop promotion and seek our own European competition for the top 6 championship teams. 

we should also kick them out of the league cup. 

Becoming a sustainable premier league team is no longer a realistic ambition for championship clubs.
EPL clubs have 10x the income of championship clubs. After a decade of this disparity championship clubs have effectively been cut adrift.

promoted clubs can’t compete and crash out within a couple of seasons. For the championship this is creating a limited pool of clubs with parachute money that dwarfs the income of the other championship clubs. So the EPL is polluting the championship by creating an unfair advantage. baalocks to them . Cut them lose and the premier league will become meaningless for all but the top 6. 
meanwhile the possibility of playing in Europe could create a great boost.

There are many great teams in Europe that similarly have no realistic chance of competing against the elite clubs in Europe. I’m not bothered if we never play Man City or Man Utd ever again* - but I would like to qualify to play against some decent teams in Europe. 

* we can still play them in the f.a. Cup. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

See above - qualify for Europe. 

Maybe we could get the top 2nd divisions around Europe to join a new European competition. 

Top 4 of each top country go into some form of group comp. 

England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany. 

20 teams, 4 groups of 5, play each team once (2 home 2 away), top 2 qualify to knockout stages.

Could expand it to top 6 and have 40 teams, 8 groups of 5. 

Maybe top 2 or 3 of smaller leagues like Holland Portugal Belgium Turkey to fill it out.

Some good away trips for fans then.

You can’t take away promotion & relegation to the top division it would completely kill the English game and make it pointless viewing. Football needs a reform European wide with wage caps and proper spending caps that actually get punished if broken, it’s clearly not sustainable if even the “bigger” clubs are looking for financial bailouts.  

Premier league clubs also shouldn’t be allowed to keep signing the best young talent from lower divisions to just sit in the u23’s or be loaned out, I know there’s talk of a loan cap being put In place which will help that.

We also need to get with the times post covid and stick to paid streaming services, it’s a huge revenue stream, if they had a monthly subscription platform where you could watch any live game and where the money could be divided equally to all clubs, then advertising can pay for the most watched clubs/games for additional income. Ticket prices should be lowered slightly to keep stadiums filled, I know I’d pay a monthly subscription and have a season ticket if they made both available and affordable. 

26 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Maybe we could get the top 2nd divisions around Europe to join a new European competition. 

Top 4 of each top country go into some form of group comp. 

England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany. 

20 teams, 4 groups of 5, play each team once (2 home 2 away), top 2 qualify to knockout stages.

Could expand it to top 6 and have 40 teams, 8 groups of 5. 

Maybe top 2 or 3 of smaller leagues like Holland Portugal Belgium Turkey to fill it out.

Some good away trips for fans then.

Could always just reestablish the Anglo Italian Cup ?

2 hours ago, eccles the ram said:

One problem MM has is:

the clubs who do not have wealthy owners will say to their players: we need you to take a massive pay cut or we will file for insolvency. Your move

If MM says this, the players will say: a contract is a contract, we know from the Sunday Times rich list that you can afford it.  So pay up 

Archived