Half of all Championship clubs on the brink of collapse

Gringo

3 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Who would decide who goes into this super league ? This would be terrible in my opinion. It would devalue the domestic league in the same way as cups. This elitist kind of thinking just serves to make a few select clubs much richer while hindering  any progress for most clubs in this country. Suddenly the Premier League would not have the pull anymore without certain clubs. 

All the 6 clubs that wanted it can leave. They're already vastly richer, and getting more richer than other clubs anyway. It would only devalue the league in terms of money, which I don't care about. I don't view the purpose of football as making money. Clubs could theoretically operate on much less money than they do now.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

All the 6 clubs that wanted it can leave. They're already vastly richer, and getting more richer than other clubs anyway. It would only devalue the league in terms of money, which I don't care about. I don't view the purpose of football as making money. Clubs could theoretically operate on much less money than they do now.

Other clubs may want to part of that elite though, who decides who would play in that hypothetical super league? Big 6? Will there be relegation from that league? 
while you may not worry about money, clubs do, in fact, money is probably the biggest drive for most clubs now over success. They’re businesses, and want opportunities to grow. In our league, promotion is the chance. 

14 hours ago, DCFClks said:

American sport is horrible. They don't have clubs, they have franchises. Teams relocate to other parts of the country. No relegations or promotions. Commercialization is bad in British football but it's 10 times worse over there.

Yeah!  Then there's that really annoying habit where they put a "z" where an "s" should be!  What's that all about! 

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I just don't understand?

Just a mere quip, my friend.

Playing on the fact that throughout the last 13 seasons (and counting!), having promotion or not would have made absolutely no difference to where we are now... which just so happens to be joint first (with Forest) for the current longest uninterrupted run of seasons stuck treading water in this division!  

8 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

who decides who would play in that hypothetical super league? Big 6? Will there be relegation from that league?

Yes the big 6, The gap between the big 6 and the rest is getting bigger all the time. They already have all the power. No relegation, I'd guess there would be an some sort of application where the rest of the clubs would have to allow you in. But I don't think any clubs are anyway near enough to them financially to do that. 

12 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

while you may not worry about money, clubs do, in fact, money is probably the biggest drive for most clubs now over success. They’re businesses, and want opportunities to grow. In our league, promotion is the chance. 

Isn't that the problem though? the way football has turned into a viable way of solely making money is what's ruining it. I understand clubs want to make money but there's a difference between just wanting a sustainable club, and pure greed. I just think something like the Super League could be a way of trafficking all the greed over there, leaving the rest for people who actually care about football.

Just now, DCFClks said:

Yes the big 6, The gap between the big 6 and the rest is getting bigger all the time. They already have all the power. No relegation, I'd guess there would be an some sort of application where the rest of the clubs would have to allow you in. But I don't think any clubs are anyway near enough to them financially to do that. 

Isn't that the problem though? the way football has turned into a viable way of solely making money is what's ruining it. I understand clubs want to make money but there's a difference between just wanting a sustainable club, and pure greed. I just think something like the Super League could be a way of trafficking all the greed over there, leaving the rest for people who actually care about football.

Are we talking financial gap or playing?I am unsure about this big 6, are Leicester, Everton or West Ham part of this elite? I guess not but they’re up there this season. Aston Villa? I would not say this top 6 is miles ahead of everyone else. 

Football is a viable way of making money because it is popular and has been marketed as such. It is entertainment and sport all in one. With social media, broadcasting rights etc and since it is the biggest sport on this planet, it’s a money making machine. Super League will never achieve the size of prem because of the pure dominance of football in this country. 

3 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Yes the big 6, The gap between the big 6 and the rest is getting bigger all the time.

Massive gap between the big 6 and the rest...

image.png.257cd46dd5a7dbf8d69f828635dd66e1.png

They already have all the power. No relegation, I'd guess there would be an some sort of application where the rest of the clubs would have to allow you in. But I don't think any clubs are anyway near enough to them financially to do that. 

8 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Are we talking financial gap or playing?I am unsure about this big 6, are Leicester, Everton or West Ham part of this elite? I guess not but they’re up there this season. Aston Villa? I would not say this top 6 is miles ahead of everyone else. 

Football is a viable way of making money because it is popular and has been marketed as such. It is entertainment and sport all in one. With social media, broadcasting rights etc and since it is the biggest sport on this planet, it’s a money making machine. Super League will never achieve the size of prem because of the pure dominance of football in this country. 

For the 18/19 season:

image.png.7e3caee54e2ef4c0bdc54c643161a943.png

Leeds will shoot up from just under £50m in the Championship to roughly what Wolves receive - that's without considering a potential increase in sponsorship money

12 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Are we talking financial gap or playing?I 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Massive gap between the big 6 and the rest...

image.png.257cd46dd5a7dbf8d69f828635dd66e1.png

I was talking purely financial. As you've already said, money is more important than the actual football

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For the 18/19 season:

image.png.7e3caee54e2ef4c0bdc54c643161a943.png

Leeds will shoot up from just under £50m in the Championship to roughly what Wolves receive - that's without considering a potential increase in sponsorship money

So they’re a big 6 in revenue but not performance. Maybe only two of these big 6 will qualify for the champions league next year. 

I was talking purely financial. As you've already said, money is more important than the actual football

Yes it is, but you may get 2 non big 6 getting champions league next year and in 3 or 4 years, you may have a different club in this big 6. The point is a hypothetical breakaway league featuring a team like Arsenal who may finish mid table and not including a team like Leicester will be too controversial. 

16 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

As I've already said, Isn't the excessive marketing, broadcasting rights etc the problem? If the greed's not going anywhere, do you not think the Super League could possibly act as a magnet for it? and leave English football to return at least something remotely like it was originally meant to be, representing local communities. How far would you let PL greed go and still want to be a part of it? bankrupt EFL clubs every season desperately trying to get there? Teams playing half there home games in Saudi Arabia?

Wouldn't the "pure dominance of football in this country" mean English football could survive without the big 6?

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

not very well though

40 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

yes it is a problem, but not all clubs are like that

Just now, DCFClks said:

As I've already said, Isn't the excessive marketing, broadcasting rights etc the problem? If the greed's not going anywhere, do you not think the Super League could possibly act as a magnet for it? and leave English football to return at least something remotely like it was originally meant to be, representing local communities. How far would you let PL greed go and still want to be a part of it? bankrupt EFL clubs every season desperately trying to get there? Teams playing half there home games in Saudi Arabia?

Wouldn't the "pure dominance of football in this country" mean English football could survive without the big 6?

Maybe it could survive but at what cost? If those clubs left, the league would be diminished surely. Clubs in the top division get good revenue thanks to the prem but suddenly if Man U etc weren’t in it, it would mean a lot of clubs making a loss, tv revenue and gate receipts. The top division product would not be the same. Eventually, winning the top tier could be seen as less valuable than a league cup win or something if this super league happened. 

46 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Scotch people still seem to like going to see scotch football even though they don’t get “promoted” the EPL.

I am sure we would still enjoy going to football if winning the championship (football league) was the end goal.

I'd consider myself a Scotch person. I enjoy a tipple on a Friday and Saturday, but don't particularly enjoy football north of the border ? Oh sorry, you meant Scottish people. 

Archived