Rams v Red Dogs (Notts Forest) Match day Thread.

Boycie

Overall, that was a poor performance, and a poor watch... and a mixed bag of emotions!

Yes, we looked comfortable for the first half hour.  Yes, their goal was crap.  Yes they absolutely played the second half to perfection... right up to the point where King Colin saved our bacon... and then we had more than enough chances to absolutely steal it!  Talk about a topsy turvy game... but at no point was it a classic.

End result appears to be what 90% of each set of fans predicted, so nothing to write home about.

My overwhelming reaction is one of relief.  I suspect the dogs will be far more disappointed than us, not to have won that... and yet we had the chances!  

...And CKR earns yet another point towards eternal legendary status!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rynny said:

We were too safe, negative and sloppy tonight. Great strike from Kazim. Should've had a penalty, Cafu could've been sent off, numerous yellow cards should've been given (for both sides), Lyle Taylor is a player you'd want to snap in half if you played against him, how times did he swing his arms into one out players faces?

A word for Sibley, I've said that his decision making, with and without the ball, needed to improve if he is to establish himself in the first team and he was superb with it tonight. He passed when he should've, he tracked back, helped Buchanan out more than what Jozwiak did, made a vital block a few yards out, and got the flick on in the build up to the goal. 

Still feel he is wasted on the wing though. 

A handy underserved point but we'll take it. 

Hope we can shake these hideous performances we seem to be putting in every other game. Every time a team puts up a bit of fight we crumble, shades of Chorley vs our 18s at some points in that second half. Think the young lads need to buck up a bit, I'm sure Wayne will handle them well but he's also pretty ruthless. We can't afford performances like that from Knight and Bird, they've got to hold their nerve better than that. In a sink or swim league we seem to be sinking every time we have to dig in and win a battle, not every game is going to be slow and played out nicely in front of us. Thought that was maybe Byrne's worst performance in a Rams shirt too. Marshall and Roos don't fill me with confidence at all. 

Pro's; We didn't lose. The first 30 mins were ok. Kaz makes a nice habit of saving a game when he's had a stinker - didn't stick today but I thought the Forest CH's handled him well until that goal. We're still creating havoc at set pieces. Roberts looked handy off the bench, same can be said for Sibley. Looking forward to us confirming our safety and we can hopefully see more of him instead of both Shinnie and Knight in the same midfield. 

Quite impressed with Forest in a way, you can see Hughton's influence. They were well organised, stubborn and controlled the game from 30 mins. Turned our attacking outlet (Byrne & Bucc) into our weakness by dropping balls in behind them, worked pretty well too. They'll be aggrieved to lose that but theres always a danger when you've got a slender lead. Should have learned that from last year! 

15 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I think it's more a case of they don't have the passing ability, so lets hoof instead. 

It’s partly this......

30FD033C-D74D-4CD4-9361-64A0272D9AD5.thumb.jpeg.00aef5da0c1f40e8ec918a0519ad87c5.jpeg

bird in particular kept standing where he couldn’t possibly be found 

Just now, Barney1991 said:

Still feel he is wasted on the wing though. 

I think, at the minute, that is the best place for him. He has more space and opportunity to run at the opposition, his movement and positioning isn't quite there to play as a number 10. He managed it when he first came into the team being a relative unknown, but since his hat trick teams pay him more attention. Let's build up his experience and he will be even better through the middle. 

Had a few drinks so ill give a few rambly thoughts.

It’s probably a fair result.

Thought a 4-2-3-1 wasn’t quite right as going man for man meant we had no runners from deep.. I’ll say it very softly but I’m not sure, at this moment, Bird, Shinnie and Knight are a midfield combination that works. Birds best play is further forward and so is Shinnies and I often feel Knight is in the space they want to occupy. Not sure how I’d combat it aside maybe having them more of a traditional midfield three and letting one of them burst forward.

Sibley looked great when he came on, mainly because he ran at them from deep, but I want to see more of him again after that.

Forest look half decent when you let them, but also a bit cocky when I’m not sure they’ve earned it within the game. It was that mentality that kind of helped us get back in it. Hughton also made an error bringing Taylor on who did absolutely sweet F A. Meant the ball never stayed in our half. 

You wish in these games for a decent ref and I felt in that crucial mid point in the first half he gave Forest what they wanted. Not just the pen, which I think it was*, but a few soft fouls given to Forest really cemented their strong hold before they scored. The ref wasn’t bad, just a really frustrating 10-15 minutes when he played into Forest’s hands. How I long for a refs decision to go our way in this fixture that we can capitalise on! It’s been nearly a bloody decade since Blackstock got sent off!

*from someone who was a defensive player, his arm is in that position to make himself big. It’s not for balance or anything like that, it’s too unnatural imo. That’s why I think it was a pen. But it’s one of them, if it Wisdom in the same position there would be people saying we got away with one. 

Oh, and Colin????

Archived