The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

To be fair - Dr Hilary has been the morning TV "celebrity doctor" for years and years, and along he's been paid to be a doctor of opinions rather than a doctor of medicine

I actually knew that would be your answer and  I apologise for even asking.  

I was mistaking here for Twitter again - where you see people ranting about "paid shills" and "Big Pharma profits" (which I don't disagree with a good rant about) - but then 10 seconds later are retweeting the Icke's and their ilk - seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are making a mint on the back of the pandemic too

The sad fact is someone always makes money out of other's miss-fortune.  Dr Hilary has indeed popped up more regularly as the TV doctor - whether he's profited I have no idea - I would assume yes if he's paid by appearance rather than salaried, but I personally ignore what he has to say - he's a GP not a COVID expert.

As for the Pharmas - well if you look at a recent Forbes list, they have indeed made an absolute fortune out of this, and continue to do so. See https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotognini/2021/04/06/meet-the-40-new-billionaires-who-got-rich-fighting-covid-19/ as an example. 

To fuel anyone's conspiracy theory around China, then a large proportion of those on the Forbes list are Chinese, or of Chinese descent. A BBC study of projected global millionaires also seems to indicate China are by far the highest projected producer of millionaires over the next few years. By a long way. I even commented to my kids this week on the irony of all the Lateral Flow Tests are coming from China.   As a balance, there are of course a lot of other people making money out of this and will do so for some time to come.  I bet all the sellers of face masks were rubbing their hands in glee when Boris advised everyone had to again wear a mask in shops, public transport and schools.  

Same can be said of the petro-chemical industry, blaming covid for the high prices (reduced production then surge in demand, lorry driver shortage etc). Prices are as high as they've ever been, meaning suppliers (retailer and oil companies) are raking it in.  If the oil price rises then so do prices at the pump - daily.  But oil has fallen by over $10 a barrel, yet no-one is reducing prices.  According to the RAC, retailers made approx. £0.06 profit on a litre pre COVID.  Right now, they're making around £0.19 profit. 

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

The sad fact is someone always makes money out of other's miss-fortune.  Dr Hilary has indeed popped up more regularly as the TV doctor - whether he's profited I have no idea - I would assume yes if he's paid by appearance rather than salaried, but I personally ignore what he has to say - he's a GP not a COVID expert.

As for the Pharmas - well if you look at a recent Forbes list, they have indeed made an absolute fortune out of this, and continue to do so. See https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotognini/2021/04/06/meet-the-40-new-billionaires-who-got-rich-fighting-covid-19/ as an example. 

To fuel anyone's conspiracy theory around China, then a large proportion of those on the Forbes list are Chinese, or of Chinese descent. A BBC study of projected global millionaires also seems to indicate China are by far the highest projected producer of millionaires over the next few years. By a long way. I even commented to my kids this week on the irony of all the Lateral Flow Tests are coming from China.   As a balance, there are of course a lot of other people making money out of this and will do so for some time to come.  I bet all the sellers of face masks were rubbing their hands in glee when Boris advised everyone had to again wear a mask in shops, public transport and schools.  

Same can be said of the petro-chemical industry, blaming covid for the high prices (reduced production then surge in demand, lorry driver shortage etc). Prices are as high as they've ever been, meaning suppliers (retailer and oil companies) are raking it in.  If the oil price rises then so do prices at the pump - daily.  But oil has fallen by over $10 a barrel, yet no-one is reducing prices.  According to the RAC, retailers made approx. £0.06 profit on a litre pre COVID.  Right now, they're making around £0.19 profit. 

The pharmas may have made a fortune out of it, but they are public companies so anybody who had shares or options in them would have also made money. I'd be sceptical if they were private companies.

The Chinese becoming wealthier also doesn't surprise me. First off they may up about a sixth of the planet, and secondly they have become more advanced in technology while still largely paying cheap labour.

Companies like NIO and BIDU are growing big, BABA is massive and they have big energy companies too.

Incidentally though the big pharmas shares price has plummeted over the past two or three months. MRNA was above $400 at one point and is now around $260. BNTX, SAVA, NVAX all way down. I was also expecting MRK to fly after they got approval on a COVID pill but it actually went down too.

Edited by Bris Vegas

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The pharmas may have made a fortune out of it, but they are public companies so anybody who had shares or options in them would have also made money. I'd be sceptical if they were private companies.

How many shares does the average Joe Public have?

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Quite a lot if you have a pension, I would have thought.

Maybe you've seen your pension go up a bit, maybe if you're one of the 15% or so that have shares you've made a few quid as well but for everyone else...

Interesting facts...

Intellectually, the most vaccine hesitant group of people are the PhD educated.

https://unherd.com/thepost/the-most-vaccine-hesitant-education-group-of-all-phds/

And Westminster in London has the highest proportion of unvaccinated people with 40 per cent of its population without a single dose of vaccine. Kensington and Chelsea, Newham and Fulham all have more than 39 per cent of their residents entirely unvaccinated;

https://inews.co.uk/news/covid-vaccine-uk-people-completely-unvaccinated-booster-jab-programme-1338139

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

These bar stewards are laughing at us.

Well at least everyone will now rightly ignore any restrictions they try and enforce at Christmas this year

Edited by TexasRam

6 hours ago, maxjam said:

How many shares does the average Joe Public have?

Even if you have 1 share, you've still made money off it. Also, the headline is clickbait nonsense.

mRNA was trading at over $400 a share in August/Sept. It then had adrop off to $225 in November. The news with Omicron saw it bounce back to $375, before falling back down to $275. 

The headline makes it sound like it has spiked to new levels. It hasn't. Their wealth may have skyrocketed $10 billion, but one month prior their wealth dropped by a lot more than that. Where is that in the article?