The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Well surprise surprise, the report on how the country dealt with the pandemic is published. The first thing the government do is throw the scientists under the bus as they attempt to distance themselves of any blame.

And where's the leader of these cowards, the person that went missing at the start of this national disaster? Hiding in Spain, so no change there

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

Let the Hindsight peeing contest begin.....

There will be a lot of that, but on the other hand 140k people have died of covid in the UK. It's absolutely right to look at how many of those deaths were avoidable and who could have done more to avoid them

Arguments like "in hindsight, how was I supposed to know that I really ought to have attended those early COBRA meetings?" and then ruffling his floppy hair with a hapless look on his face, won't really wash IMO

31 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Seems like a big problem was that the ruling powers judged the nation through the lense of their own morally bankrupt lives.

They clearly didn't trust the UK population to follow rules that they themselves would never obey. Turns out when loads of people are getting ill and dying, most people were happy to protect themselves and others more vulnerable than themselves.

Turns out when British people are watching body bags piling up in Northern Italian streets, but people from there are still able to fly into the UK without any checks, we realised it might be a good idea to stay at home for a bit, rather than say, brag about shaking hands with Covid sufferers.

For the next crisis, is it too much to ask that we have people in charge like former CEOs of large companies? Or people who have led major organisations, either public or private? Our once enviable democracy doesn't really seem fit for purpose at the moment. 

Daughter gets headache and sore throat Sunday.  Do home test, negative.  "Are you sure Dad?" - "Yes I reply, all your symptoms are also the same as for a cold and there's a lot going around so don't worry and assume it's COVID".  As of this morning, still suffering, so do another test - positive. Damn.  Turns out 4 others in her class have also tested positive today. Joy of joys. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

For the next crisis, is it too much to ask that we have people in charge like former CEOs of large companies? Or people who have led major organisations, either public or private? Our once enviable democracy doesn't really seem fit for purpose at the moment. 

You can have Mel in charge of you like.

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Yep, it really bugs me when people say how right they were.

Like that Bob the Badger. He kept saying the Government screwed everything up in the lead up to the vaccine being ready, but accepted they did a good job rolling out the immunisation programme.

But you never hear him gloat.

I admire that.

4 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Daughter gets headache and sore throat Sunday.  Do home test, negative.  "Are you sure Dad?" - "Yes I reply, all your symptoms are also the same as for a cold and there's a lot going around so don't worry and assume it's COVID".  As of this morning, still suffering, so do another test - positive. Damn.  Turns out 4 others in her class have also tested positive today. Joy of joys. 

The wife had to leave her ward to walk over and get her flub jab today. She said there were 20 ambulances in line to drop patients off with Covid and paramedics were having to deal with some.

I'm not sure how she knew and she's not home yet to ask, but she's no BSer, she leaves that to me.

This hasn't gone away.

9 hours ago, Wolfie said:

What hindsight?   Look at posts in the original Coronavirus thread, there were questions being asked then about the slowness of the lockdown, not closing borders quick enough and the rationale in allowing sporting events to take place. 

19 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

What hindsight?   Look at posts in the original Coronavirus thread, there were questions being asked then about the slowness of the lockdown, not closing borders quick enough and the rationale in allowing sporting events to take place. 

Ah, but back then it was 'politicising the pandemic' and anyone guilty of this heinous crime was quite rightly derided ?

It's a genuine tragedy that it's taken 100 thousand deaths for us all to arrive at at something vaguely akin to a consensus, but in broader terms, nothing has really changed. Climate change is the next hill on which we'll die and in our millions too, because we've learned nothing from this pandemic, nothing at all.

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ah, but back then it was 'politicising the pandemic' and anyone guilty of this heinous crime was quite rightly derided ?

It's a genuine tragedy that it's taken 100 thousand deaths for us all to arrive at at something vaguely akin to a consensus, but in broader terms, nothing has really changed. Climate change is the next hill on which we'll die and in our millions too, because we've learned nothing from this pandemic, nothing at all.

Don't be so down, of cause we've learned something during the pandemic. We've learned if you donate to the tory party, you'll be given millions of pounds of taxpayers money in return.