The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

48 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

It could indeed. It's perhaps no wonder, nor a coincidence that to balance their low incidence of COVID related deaths they have a huge spike in mental health issues.  

Meanwhile, the UK continues to be the petri-dish churning out new variants, together with being out-performed in just about every important category by just about every other European country.

Now the good news - I finally had a blood test today, after having had it postponed three times in the last two months. I think they found a couple of jam jars behind the fridge.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Meanwhile, the UK continues to be the petri-dish churning out new variants, together with being out-performed in just about every important category by just about every other European country.

Now the good news - I finally had a blood test today, after having had it postponed three times in the last two months. I think they found a couple of jam jars behind the fridge.

Not Scotland, they’re mask mandated up and got those old covid case numbers on the run ,,,,, ooopps maybe not ??‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Oh I see where your going now ,,, new sub delta variant ( just in time ) which is 15 % more infectious than the delta variant ,which was hugely more infectious than the Kent variant which was way more infectious than the Indian variant which was way more infectious than the alpha variant, oops lost track of the Nepal variant ,,, come on ,when are we getting the Amazon variant, the Deliveroo variant,

Edited by Archied

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That's good - hope it's all OK. Talking of blood tests, wifey and I had messages yesterday to say we should have received our anti-body tests and could we take them as soon as possible.  Err.... {checking door mat and outside step} nope no tests received, and none today so far. 

Best bit about it is it says that after completing the test take it to our nearest possible Royal Mail priority postbox and that I "..can leave home to post it whilst self-isolating". WTF?!  I've been barraged with emails and phone calls to remind me of my legal duty to stay at home, and now I'm allowed to walk into town, passed vulnerable people to post my test kit.  Madness. 

50 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

That's good - hope it's all OK. Talking of blood tests, wifey and I had messages yesterday to say we should have received our anti-body tests and could we take them as soon as possible.  Err.... {checking door mat and outside step} nope no tests received, and none today so far. 

Best bit about it is it says that after completing the test take it to our nearest possible Royal Mail priority postbox and that I "..can leave home to post it whilst self-isolating". WTF?!  I've been barraged with emails and phone calls to remind me of my legal duty to stay at home, and now I'm allowed to walk into town, passed vulnerable people to post my test kit.  Madness. 

Plenty of post boxes around which don't require you to go to a crowded town centre

https://postboxmap.com/en

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Plenty of post boxes around which don't require you to go to a crowded town centre

https://postboxmap.com/en

That there is but it does stipulate we use a Priority post box, the nearest of which is half a mile away in town (more a village to be fair).  Even if I didn't use the requested Priority one, it still means leaving the house and walking a quarter mile which again seems at odds to the constant stay at home message I've been bombarded with. 

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I don't understand - what's going on here? Why does the UK have something like 20% of ALL cases worldwide??

image.thumb.png.8736615a88890999fd0e3767e4da1632.png

Because no one else is obsessed with testing, tracking and reporting every little sniffle. 

10 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I don't understand - what's going on here? Why does the UK have something like 20% of ALL cases worldwide??

Test more, find more...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

The Public Health Agency of Sweden recommends that adults with symptoms of COVID-19 get tested to see if they have an ongoing infection;

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/covid-19-testing/#:~:text=of COVID-19-,The Public Health Agency of Sweden recommends that adults with,are vaccinated against COVID-19.

Just now, TexasRam said:

Because no one else is obsessed with testing, tracking and reporting every little sniffle. 

Nearly a 1000 dead in the last week though unfortunately. About 2/3 of Austraila's total deaths. 

Are those countries not obsessed with sniffles seeing a similar number of deaths though?

Germany have had 59 deaths in 7 days. Very similar vaccination rate too.

Feels like we are on the edge of yet more restrictions and problems. Will this shambles ever end?

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Nearly a 1000 dead in the last week though unfortunately. About 2/3 of Austraila's total deaths. 

Are those countries not obsessed with sniffles seeing a similar number of deaths though?

Feels like we are on the edge of yet more restrictions and problems. Will this shambles ever end?

There's an excuse for evert fact, you're wasting your time. 

It does feel like it's massively escalating.  My family accounted for 4 positive tests in one swoop.  There are some 40 kids off in one of my local secondary schools having had a positive PCR test over the last week or so - no idea how many of those have also lovingly passed the virus on to parents and siblings too, like my eldest did with us. 

I log my health daily on the Zoe Covid App - that estimates there are 78,993 new daily cases in the UK, clearly higher than the Government's official figures.  It also reckons there's an estimated 1,000,000 people predicted to have COVID in the UK at the moment. Not great reading.  And we're heading into a predicted flu epidemic too, exacerbated by the fact as a population our immunity is down due to the previous lockdowns.  

23 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Maybe because they don’t report deaths within 28 days of a positive test? Or have a more pragmatic way of reporting deaths that are acutely attributed to Covid not just reporting for reporting’S sake.  I’d also like to see the test vs test data per country. Loads of variables and data manipulation but as @sage says it’s just excuses for all the “facts”, yawn.

Heres a prediction of headlines or soundbites coming in the next few weeks “if we don’t do something the NHS won’t be able to cope come December”. That’s absolutely nailed on.

34 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Aren't 70% of deaths in the UK now amongst the double jabbed?  Unless we close our borders forever, give Nigel Farage a machine gun and send him out in a dingy to protect us from illegal migrants crossing the channel covid-zero is an impossible dream, so we either learn to live with the risk or lockdown forever.

Australia might have low deaths but look at the restrictions they have been living under - for 250 days in some places...

I'm just going to put an idea out there. 

Maybe, just maybe, our vaccination programme was rolled out quicker. A lot quicker. Is our immunity through vaccination now waning? You'd think so from all the studies. 

So maybe this will start happening in all the other countries who were so slow to get their population vaccinated in a month's time or however longer they took to get to our levels. 

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Not Scotland, they’re mask mandated up and got those old covid case numbers on the run ,,,,, ooopps maybe not ??‍♂️

Direct comparison between Scotland and England over the last 7 weeks...

• Scotland's population: 5.45 million.
  • Max daily cases in current wave: 7053 (on 7 September) - 129.4 / 100K
  • Peak daily figures (rolling 7 day average): 6405 (on 7 September) - 117.5 / 100K
  • Month start daily figures (rolling 7 day average) on 1 October: 2689 - 49.3 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (rolling 7 day average): 2463 - 45.2 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (actual): 2459 - 45.2 / 100K
  • England's population: 55.98 million
  • Total daily cases on 7 September: 27241 - 48.7 / 100K
  • Rolling 7 day average on 7 September: 27701 -  49.4 / 100K
  • Month start daily figures (rolling 7 day average) on 1 October: 27637 - 49.3 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (rolling 7 day average): 36963 - 66.0 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (actual): 43738 - 78.1 / 100K
  • Can't give you our third wave peak figures - I don't think we've reached it.

Scotland's figures for daily new cases at the start of September were terrible - but over the last seven weeks, they have dropped by almost two thirds.

England's figures for daily new cases at the start of September were largely under control - then people decided that it was all over and decided that masks are for wusses.

In the last 50 days, Scotland's daily new case figures fell by almost two thirds and are still falling, whereas ours increased by almost two thirds and are back on the exponential up-curve.

Clearly, we can see from the above figures that mask mandates don't work. Oh, wait....

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

A key difference is that most if not all of those countries have been routinely vaccinating kids 12+ since June/July. And with 2 shots too.

In this country we didn't start doing that until the end of September, and we are only offering them one shot.

As a consequence we have been lagging Europe's vaccination rate for several months now.

Edited by therealhantsram

3 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Something I now have to do every 2 years, because I'm on anticoagulants for life (long history of blood clots). In the past, I was on Warfarin and had to have blood tests every 2 weeks. I would be given the all-clear, taken off Warfarin and 6 months later, hey presto, my blood would become black pudding and I would be rushed into hospital, Heparin injections, back on Warfarin, back to bi-weekly blood tests. That was pretty tedious (and bloody expensive), especially working away from home or abroad. 8 years ago, I was mover over to Rivaroxaban, a 'new generation' anticoagulant. From that day on, no more blood clots. When I reach two years since the last test, my automatic prescription is embargoed until I've had a new blood test - 'just in case'. In these silly times, it's an absolute pain to get my prescription renewed even if there are extenuating circumstances. In short, without it, I would die - and then who would take the 'totally and consistently wrong people' in the Coronavirus thread to task?

Edited by Eddie