Derby County vs Rotherham (in theory)

cannable

1 hour ago, jono said:

Byrne ? Poor ? Get a grip .. it was a scrappy game .. we escaped some embarrassment comps of the ref, their goalie was pretty damned good and they got a late winner .. this sort of stuff happens ... no excuses, we weren’t good, or superior and unlucky  .. but “very poor” ? we certainly had more decent shots on target, Rotherham were gritty and organised, we worked hard but not well or with intelligence  .. pitch was garbage  .. draw would have been reasonable. Being mean spirited in the face of what’s been going on over the last 6-9 months doesn’t strike me as support ! 

i gave my judgment and i thought we was very poor. we had more decent shots on target , 50/50 again my opinion, on previous games since Rooney took over we have improved an looked a team that could win but today no chance . but for me and many others i have spoken to over here in the emerald isle today performance against a team we should have beaten to ease the relegation worries it was disheartening. rotherham where more energetic and work rate better, i personally rotherham deserved it and it was only mater of time they was going to scored all crosses coming in.  simples and my opionion. 

as for the mean spirited in the face of whats gone on, ? and the comment on my support. ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jono said:

Look, let’s just admit it .. you’re a miserable old goat and I’m narky, truculent and argumentative tonight.

talk next week when the oil well delivers but we all then decide drive solar powered electric cars .. it’s the Derby way ?

Lol.

I'm admitting nothing!

Lets hope next week we've got some experienced players in... #COYR

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's up there to score goals.

On a similar thread, it's annoying to see Shinnie in the box making reasonable chances look difficult (twice). Why isn't that Knight?

Sorry I havent read all this as thought it would be a bad place tonight but are really you are moaning at Shinnie for getting in the box, in a reasonable position and having a go? Sorry if I have missed rest of the chat and have wrong nuance from your comment

Just now, CBRammette said:

Sorry I havent read all this as thought it would be a bad place tonight but are really you are moaning at Shinnie for getting in the box, in a reasonable position and having a go? Sorry if I have missed rest of the chat and have wrong nuance from your comment

Yes I am. He missed two good chances, we didn't score.

Shinnie had a good game but like Waghorn needs too many chances to score. If we had more potential goal-scorers that would be fine. But we don't and so I wished that it had been Knight or Sibley up there.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I think we would all love for Rooney to guide us to safety and bring success to the club and I am sure that includes the little troublemaker @Nuwtfly too.

But today should be a wake up call to many about how difficult that will be to achieve for a manager with so little experience and a club in complete disarray off the pitch.

The way in which posters’ concerns over Rooney’s suitability for the job and concerns over the future of the club have been dismissed as ‘being negative’ ‘being a doom and gloom merchant’ or ‘being a bed wetter’ is starting to look very misguided.

Performances count for nothing in our situation. No-one will be patting Rooney on the back about these positive performances if we’re in League 1 come May.

Cocu left us in a mess, but if you cannot see how the poor running of the club and entrusting inexperienced coaches like Rooney and Rosenior with such responsibility is only adding to the mess, then I worry for you.

Under Rooney, we have failed to beat Wycombe, Coventry and Rotherham at home and Sheff Wed away. We have also dropped points at home to Stoke and Preston. These are the kind of results that could prove costly come the end of the season.

I don’t blame Rooney. He is doing the best he can with his limited experience. And of course he is going to back himself and believe in his ability to do this job, even if everything points to this job being too big for him at this time.

The concern for me is that no-one at the club saw sense, sat him down, and told him some home truths - a relegation fight is no place for a manager with your profile and you need to bide your time.

Instead, the club have given him a contract until 2023. So you can only assume the club are prepared for a potential relegation and reset in League 1 with Rooney at the helm. So really we have to hope he learns quickly but the signs are worrying.

You worry for me? I’m truly honoured. Not sure why. Just because we have different perspectives on things doesn’t mean either of us is wrong, or delusional.

Lets take the rookie argument, you ignore the fact that despite the points dropped you highlighted that before today we were picking up the required points per game to finish on 54 points and survive. In that period we’ve seen a drastic improvement in performances including outplaying a promotion contender. Wycombe, Cov, Stoke, Sheff Weds we should have had more points but continue those performances we will win the games we need. You don’t always get what you deserve in football but do the right things the results will come. If you play badly you might fluke some results here or there but it will catch up. So consistent level of performance is an important barometer in getting enough results to survive. Always has, always will.  In this period of improved performances, We went from being on the verge of being cut adrift of the whole league to being in touch with safety. Even after today we are only 1 point adrift. So the rookie has done ok, he’s improved us but we’re still in trouble due to the first 13 games. But not the time to say we’re doomed. Far from it. 

Today is a setback no doubt, we will now have to see how Rooney and the squad respond. If that level of performance was to continue we will go down, no question.  But it’s a setback only. The positives of the previous 9 games can’t be ignored just to fit your narrative. Look at the season in its entirety and we’re in the bottom 3 with 19 points from 23 games, we’re in the poo, anyone can see that, but with 6 points after 13 games before Rooney took sole charge the best we could hope for at this stage is to be in touch which we are.

I have no problem with people being glass half empty but it frustrates the hell out of me when with some people, every defeat it’s immediately this team isn’t good enough we’re doomed, the comments from some individuals after the Sheff Wed game i found particularly irksome because we were excellent in that game for long periods and it was one of the rare occasions where you have to say on balance, we were just bloody unlucky to lose. 

Last time I was really concerned about relegation was 03/04. We had a team that truly wasn’t good enough. We would have gone down if it wasnt for late transfer business. That lack of quality was later proved with the fact that the majority of that team ended up playing most of their careers in the lower leagues. With 2 Scotland internationals, an Ireland International, 2 polish internationals, a welsh international combined with significant championship experience this team does have the quality and has been underperforming until Rooney took charge. With moving Holmes Marriott and Te Weirik on we are light on options in a couple of positions so ideally we need a couple in. For that we need to have clarity on the takeover quickly either way. But I still think Rooney has the tools to get this done and keep us in the division. 

So forgive me for being glass half full that’s my opinion. As for bed wetters, that’s reserved for people that automatically leap to the worst possible conclusion for no logical reason - like assuming if the takeover doesn’t happen we’re going to be in administration based on nothing but speculation.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes I am. He missed two good chances, we didn't score.

Shinnie had a good game but like Waghorn needs too many chances to score. If we had more potential goal-scorers that would be fine. But we don't and so I wished that it had been Knight or Sibley up there.

Remember those wonderful days of people scoring from all over when we got promoted with Jim or in 2013-14.  You're right we desperately need some of that now but wont moan at Shinnie today

40 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You worry for me? I’m truly honoured. Not sure why. Just because we have different perspectives on things doesn’t mean either of us is wrong, or delusional.

Lets take the rookie argument, you ignore the fact that despite the points dropped you highlighted that before today we were picking up the required points per game to finish on 54 points and survive. In that period we’ve seen a drastic improvement in performances including outplaying a promotion contender. Wycombe, Cov, Stoke, Sheff Weds we should have had more points but continue those performances we will win the games we need. You don’t always get what you deserve in football but do the right things the results will come. If you play badly you might fluke some results here or there but it will catch up. So consistent level of performance is an important barometer in getting enough results to survive. Always has, always will.  In this period of improved performances, We went from being on the verge of being cut adrift of the whole league to being in touch with safety. Even after today we are only 1 point adrift. So the rookie has done ok, he’s improved us but we’re still in trouble due to the first 13 games. But not the time to say we’re doomed. Far from it. 

Today is a setback no doubt, we will now have to see how Rooney and the squad respond. If that level of performance was to continue we will go down, no question.  But it’s a setback only. The positives of the previous 9 games can’t be ignored just to fit your narrative. Look at the season in its entirety and we’re in the bottom 3 with 19 points from 23 games, we’re in the poo, anyone can see that, but with 6 points after 13 games before Rooney took sole charge the best we could hope for at this stage is to be in touch which we are.

I have no problem with people being glass half empty but it frustrates the hell out of me when with some people, every defeat it’s immediately this team isn’t good enough we’re doomed, the comments from some individuals after the Sheff Wed game i found particularly irksome because we were excellent in that game for long periods and it was one of the rare occasions where you have to say on balance, we were just bloody unlucky to lose. 

Last time I was really concerned about relegation was 03/04. We had a team that truly wasn’t good enough. We would have gone down if it wasnt for late transfer business. That lack of quality was later proved with the fact that the majority of that team ended up playing most of their careers in the lower leagues. With 2 Scotland internationals, an Ireland International, 2 polish internationals, a welsh international combined with significant championship experience this team does have the quality and has been underperforming until Rooney took charge. With moving Holmes Marriott and Te Weirik on we are light on options in a couple of positions so ideally we need a couple in. For that we need to have clarity on the takeover quickly either way. But I still think Rooney has the tools to get this done and keep us in the division. 

So forgive me for being glass half full that’s my opinion. As for bed wetters, that’s reserved for people that automatically leap to the worst possible conclusion for no logical reason - like assuming if the takeover doesn’t happen we’re going to be in administration based on nothing but speculation.

well put mate , absolutely bang on

I wonder what would have happened when Sibley chested the ball down and was in on goal, only for the ref to give handball against him, when it clearly wasn't. Sibbers is well capable of netting from that position. He scores, we win. Annoyingly, a Rotherham player controlled the ball on his chest indentically to Sibley, but apparently because he hadn't got a white shirt on it was good play. ?

Lots of people have said the ref was ok, which for a Derby game means "really good". In reality he was good for the EFL prescribed first 20 minutes. Then we apparently started giving away silly free-kicks. We would have been doing so if stepping on an opponent's shadow is actually a foul. As seems to be normal, we barely had to challenge and the whistle blows, often with the Rotherham player looking like he'd been in a sniper's cross-hairs for a moment too long. Yes we got away with the Beilik "professional" foul, but that was the exception rather than the rule. But we seem to have gone back to the Derby way of outdoing the ref for performing badly. Truth is that the best team won, today.

For the first 20 minutes, Beilik put in some great through balls, but then it seems that Rotherham worked out that putting a man on him and marking him out of the game would stop us. We did change it up in the second half - Rotherham played very narrow, filling out the middle of the park/farmer's field, and we couldn't find a way through, and for part of the second half we didn't bother much with the middle three, concentrating on getting out out and down the wings, with a little fruitfulness coming from that. 

So after thinking Beilik could pull man of the match, he faded, and although lucky to stay on, his yellow card was harsh, to say the least and it wasn't the only harsh one dished to the Rams. Subbing him was the right choice, though. I also had hopes for Joswiack, who i really like because he is so positive, and tricky on the ball. But as with others, far too many times he takes an extra touch, after which his options are gone. And sadly, when he did move the ball on quickly, it was to Waggy, who needs nearly as many chances as Nugent to score. Add in Rooney  being way too late yet again with the substitutions, although yet again I have to wonder what Sibley is doing wrong to keep being kept on the bench?

I think the unrest at the club is the biggest factor affecting today's performance. Covid isn't the problem - it hardly touches anyone below the age of 60, and we had players who tested positive, which isn't the same as being infected - the PCR test they use is totally the wrong test for viral infections, and throws up colossal numbers of false positives. Yes I know Covid is really, really nasty when it hits someone, but it is not the population destroying behemoth it is being made out to be. But the players not knowing who will be the manager, who will be the owners, whether there will even be a club to play for, as well as not being paid (the poor little beggars must be down to their last millions or half millions by now) are a much greater disruptive influence.

All I can hope is that Rooney can get through this and get the lads playing with the desire and bite which they were showing prior to the Rotherham postponement, which turned out to be a master-stroke by them!

3 hours ago, OUTSIDER said:

shocking ossie, knight was as usual running his ass off but rest poor very poor 

Knight always works hard,  but he was as guilty as the others with the way he gave away silly freekicks that invited pressure towards the end. 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I didn’t say you were delusional, not at all. Only time will tell who is right or wrong, not that it will be any comfort to either of us.

Performances guarantee nothing, we need to get results. In Rooney’s 10 games in charge, that has been sorely lacking at critical times. Playing well and not getting what you deserve and playing well but finding a way to lose or drop points are two hallmarks of sides that get relegated.

I am not ignoring the positives. I’ve happily acknowledged the good that Rooney has done but I just don’t think it will prove to be enough. Today is a setback to add to numerous more we have suffered under Rooney.

Teams are starting to put breathing space between us and themselves. Five points behind QPR, six points behind Forest, seven points behind Birmingham, Coventry and Millwall. Even Rotherham are level on points with us with two games in hand.

So when you consider all of that, I am not even sure we can argue we are in touch and you can begin to see why people feel we look doomed. A few more poor results - especially if they come in the crunch away games against Rotherham, Wycombe and QPR - and we’ll really be up against it.

I have no problem with people being ‘glass half full’.  I would love to be positive about the club. I really would. But right now all of the signs point to us as a club from top to bottom doing our damnedest to sabotage our chances of survival.

You say the team is performing under Rooney but since Cocu left, we have 13 points from 36 and 8 points from 7 games against other teams in the bottom half. That’s 13 points dropped against favourable opposition alone, not to mention the points squandered versus Stoke and Bristol City. 

It might be an improvement from where we were under Cocu, but it’s still far from good enough. The worry for me is that as a club we have bought into the complacent idea that it actually is.

Was there any period of play longer than about 45 seconds before a stoppage? I’m sure there was but it didn’t feel like it. Seemed to be endless replays of nothing being shown. It would be interesting to know how long the ball was actually in play. 
Very disappointed in the energy levels (potentially understandable) but the lack of urgency around taking of throws and corners just added to the general feeling of not being up for it 

Archived