Derby County vs Rotherham (in theory)

cannable

Well, I’m not even sure if this game will go ahead, I’m not sure of the Covid+ timings, but here we are. 

No fancy stats from me, but my current thoughts on Derby are as follows.

I think CKR is brilliant. I don’t think he’s better than Martin but he’s certainly raised the question in my mind. He certainly works harder, has a better attitude and is more physical. 

Bielik has looked less like Vieira this season but has been oh-so totally dominant that he, in a funny way, reminds me even more of him. He doesn’t pick passes or screen like George in his prime, but he’s different. George completely bosses midfields when he was given options. Krissy B is a human octopus, legs flailing everywhere, winning tackles and setting us off, driving us forward. He just pops up and wins the ball. 

I’m crap at judging wingers, I don’t know why, I just don’t get them, but I love Jozwiak. He can link the play, he can turn in tight situations as well as Hughesy could, can have drive us forward, he can skin a man and he has two feet. I think he’s proper class. 

I’m not even sure if this game will go ahead but, well, somebody’s gotta start the thread. I know @David couldn’t stand the sight in the designated Black Pudding thread but in case you missed it, here’s a treat I enjoyed when I went Rangers away the other year. 

97A10A53-F561-4E3F-AB02-509F8AC62AFA.jpeg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isolations should be over by Saturday so, if the EFL and government continue to allow it to go ahead, I think it should do

depending on how ill they were, might be missing some of the players who actually tested positive

36 minutes ago, Jram said:

Isolations should be over by Saturday so, if the EFL and government continue to allow it to go ahead, I think it should do

depending on how ill they were, might be missing some of the players who actually tested positive

Won't have trained properly though so won't the players all be blowing after 20 mins?

Training ground is allowed to open from Tuesday allegedly so you’d assume that would be the end of the isolation period for most. Although we were still getting positives some of the u23’s as late as last Friday. 

The Percy article said we were trying to get the next few called off, you’d have to imagine this game is one we could really do without going ahead, the game is absolutely massive and we’re going to need a fully fit squad to win so the EFL will probably make us play the kids!

2 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Maybe we should field the youth team again? Wonderful experience for them, and all that.

look mate the cup was a game was good for them and a game we had a chance of winning sadly didn't work out that way. 

the championship is a different matter. no need for you sarcastic comments 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Won't have trained properly though so won't the players all be blowing after 20 mins?

I know it's not quite the same but I reckon most players have got some kind of gym/training equipment at home. so, apart any that are actually ill, I'd like to think they have tried to keep themselves in condition as best they can. Does your fitness really disappear that quickly that you'd be struggling after just twenty minutes? I wouldn't know, I've never been fit enough.?

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I know it's not quite the same but I reckon most players have got some kind of gym/training equipment at home. so, apart any that are actually ill, I'd like to think they have tried to keep themselves in condition as best they can. Does your fitness really disappear that quickly that you'd be struggling after just twenty minutes? I wouldn't know, I've never been fit enough.?

It's not the fitness, it's the sharpness that goes. 

You can't replicate the speed of foot and mind you need to be able to react first in a match environment without training with others. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Yeah maybe, I’m never really sure how long it takes to lose fitness etc and whether there’s actual science behind some of the sound bites you hear from managers eg he’s getting the minutes in his legs ?‍♂️ 

perhaps some of your physio minded forum members can shed some light 

If half the first team squad are out with symptoms or other Covid related issues, do you think we would be made to play? I can imagine us going into this game with some missing and the rest of the first team squad having missed 2 weeks of training. The players can stay fit at home (to an extent) but could be a tricky game for us.

Fingers crossed the main players come through ok and get on the pitch

8 hours ago, cannable said:

Well, I’m not even sure if this game will go ahead, I’m not sure of the Covid+ timings, but here we are. 

No fancy stats from me, but my current thoughts on Derby are as follows.

I think CKR is brilliant. I don’t think he’s better than Martin but he’s certainly raised the question in my mind. He certainly works harder, has a better attitude and is more physical. 

Bielik has looked less like Vieira this season but has been oh-so totally dominant that he, in a funny way, reminds me even more of him. He doesn’t pick passes or screen like George in his prime, but he’s different. George completely bosses midfields when he was given options. Krissy B is a human octopus, legs flailing everywhere, winning tackles and setting us off, driving us forward. He just pops up and wins the ball. 

I’m crap at judging wingers, I don’t know why, I just don’t get them, but I love Jozwiak. He can link the play, he can turn in tight situations as well as Hughesy could, can have drive us forward, he can skin a man and he has two feet. I think he’s proper class. 

I’m not even sure if this game will go ahead but, well, somebody’s gotta start the thread. I know @David couldn’t stand the sight in the designated Black Pudding thread but in case you missed it, here’s a treat I enjoyed when I went Rangers away the other year. 

97A10A53-F561-4E3F-AB02-509F8AC62AFA.jpeg

Agree with the octopus analogy of Bielik. He's almost, at times, a midfield version of Wanchope in some respects. Seems like he's lost control only to gain control again bamboozling the opposition. He's pivotal to how we play atm. Would be disastrous for us if he got injured again. 

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Training ground is allowed to open from Tuesday allegedly so you’d assume that would be the end of the isolation period for most. Although we were still getting positives some of the u23’s as late as last Friday. 

The Percy article said we were trying to get the next few called off, you’d have to imagine this game is one we could really do without going ahead, the game is absolutely massive and we’re going to need a fully fit squad to win so the EFL will probably make us play the kids!

This was my concern and why I thought we should have forfeited the 2 comps have different rules but we are Derby county after all and we don’t tend to get much luck these days

If the country doesn’t get fully locked down any football still allowed then the Rotherham game will be the biggest and most important game that we have had since the 2007 West Brom play off game. We absolutely have to win it and make sure that we are out of the bottom 3 before the inevitable premature end to the season. Professional football bubbles are clearly not working with the number of positive COVID cases increasing week by week and let’s be honest the UK needs vaccines to be working before we can get back to normal.   I don't personally see any way the government will be able to condone the continuation of football in current climate and it is just inevitable and probably morally right for the season to end early. I hear all the ‘mental health’ arguments but in the big scheme of things professional football is just another thing that shouldn’t be happening right now with UK COVID cases at record levels. 

Problem is that if we are in the bottom 3 either actually or on a points by game basis then we will probably be relegated hence we have this one chance to win and get get out of the bottom 3

It is far more important than the arguments on whether Mel has been a good owner or not ( on balance yes he has been ) and the constant moans about the takeover and whether that is happening or not. I for one don’t think it is happening but the one thing I don’t expect is communication from either side because the negotiations will have to be handled in a confidential manner. Sorry folks, and you might not like it but that is just how corporate deals and takeovers work. The negations are confidential. The constant moans and negativity about both parties will not be helping or indeed result in any updates. We will hear when it either completes or collapses and we should not expect anything until then. 

So, my point is that we have a massive and important game is coming up ( probably) and I for one would like to see some collective positivity and encouragement from everyone rather than opinionated and negative moaning about Mel and his efforts to sell to new owners whether imaginary or not.  We just have to win !!  Perspective and priorities please. COYR !!

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Well Wazza seemed to lose all fitness on the walk back to the dressing room so here's hoping some of them are better equipped to come through a relatively inactive fortnight.... ?

5 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Rotherham managed to get the reverse fixture called off at minimum notice with only a couple of Covid cases why cant we do the same if still ongoing ?

Maybe we can, but we're just waiting until they turn up at the stadium to let them know.

With the training ground set to reopen on Tuesday, you’d hope the COVID outbreak at the club will be over by next weekend, so this match can go ahead. We should hopefully have at least most of the first team squad available, so with that in mind, I’d go with the following team, with a few changes from the Sheffield Wednesday defeat:

Marshall

Byrne Te Wierik Clarke Buchanan

Knight Bielik Shinnie

Jozwiak Kazim Whittaker

I’m still not remotely convinced by Wisdom at CB, so I’d be tempted to give Te Wierik one last go before we decide to sell him, considering it doesn’t look like we’re going to be bringing anyone else in this window. Forsyth doesn’t offer anything that Buchanan can’t do imo, so I’d bring back our best LB. Sibley isn’t a winger and showed that with his performance the other week, so I would consider giving Whittaker another go to prove himself, since neither Waghorn or Lawrence fill me with confidence.

43 minutes ago, If we shoot we might score said:

If the country doesn’t get fully locked down any football still allowed then the Rotherham game will be the biggest and most important game that we have had since the 2007 West Brom play off game. We absolutely have to win it and make sure that we are out of the bottom 3 before the inevitable premature end to the season. Professional football bubbles are clearly not working with the number of positive COVID cases increasing week by week and let’s be honest the UK needs vaccines to be working before we can get back to normal.   I don't personally see any way the government will be able to condone the continuation of football in current climate and it is just inevitable and probably morally right for the season to end early. I hear all the ‘mental health’ arguments but in the big scheme of things professional football is just another thing that shouldn’t be happening right now with UK COVID cases at record levels. 

Problem is that if we are in the bottom 3 either actually or on a points by game basis then we will probably be relegated hence we have this one chance to win and get get out of the bottom 3

It is far more important than the arguments on whether Mel has been a good owner or not ( on balance yes he has been ) and the constant moans about the takeover and whether that is happening or not. I for one don’t think it is happening but the one thing I don’t expect is communication from either side because the negotiations will have to be handled in a confidential manner. Sorry folks, and you might not like it but that is just how corporate deals and takeovers work. The negations are confidential. The constant moans and negativity about both parties will not be helping or indeed result in any updates. We will hear when it either completes or collapses and we should not expect anything until then. 

So, my point is that we have a massive and important game is coming up ( probably) and I for one would like to see some collective positivity and encouragement from everyone rather than opinionated and negative moaning about Mel and his efforts to sell to new owners whether imaginary or not.  We just have to win !!  Perspective and priorities please. COYR !!

While a tad dramatic, it's an interesting point - if we are in the bottom three when football is called to a halt, what happens then? 

It would be inconceivable that if the season is ended only half way through that the EFL could even consider promotion and relegation, but you don't want to be in a position where you're even putting yourself in that position. 

It does increasingly look like football will be stopped, and I can imagine grassroots seasons (which have already been halted) being cancelled unless they can get them up and running by mid March. 

But with the obstacle of the Euros meaning we can't play through the summer like last year, it's raises an interesting question of how the authorities manage what happens next. 

Archived