Derby County vs Rotherham (in theory)

cannable

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

Someone who has actually been a manager.... you know someone with experience like Chris Hughton at Forest who is steering them away from danger at the moment. Again, I don't claim to definitively know they would be better- but your claim that no-one could do better is beyond ridiculous. 

I'm not the manager. Personally, I wouldn't have benched Sibley against a team who needed to be stretched out of their shape but i understand why he benched him after sheffield wednesday. If we couldn't win today we needed to make sure we didn't lose, playing Buchanan instead of forsyth was a mistake as well i would suggest. 

Hughton has only just got Forest going, his first run of matches, Forest were dropping lower and lower. Sometimes experience means nothing. In theory Cocu should have done a great job this season? Rooney has earned a chance. He doesn't have many options within this squad. Both Forsyth and Buchanan have done well mostly this season. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well was not expecting that today. 

Intensity levels back down to Cocu days. Has lack of training played a part who knows.

Our failure to do the basics was more worrying to me.

Unable to pass a ball 20 yards or control a ball at this level is not acceptable but we saw it numerous times today.

Disappointed that Rooney didnt make changes earlier, all of our attacking players were very poor today and a change was required at the 60 minute mark at the latest.

Feeling pretty dismayed by everything at the moment, hopefully this week brings a change of fortune. 

One thing that really concerned me today is the sluggishness in trying to change the game. 

It was very very clear that in the first half what we were trying wasn't working and we sorely needed an extra player to get on the ball in midfield, more support to CKR and focus on getting the ball wide. The subs were the right ones but they could have happened substantially earlier and we could have gone further even in spite limited bench options. 

This has been a problem with Rooneys tenure so far is just leaving subs till well past when they were needed and not utilising the 5 subs well enough.

5 minutes ago, OUTSIDER said:

shocking ossie, knight was as usual running his ass off but rest poor very poor 

Byrne ? Poor ? Get a grip .. it was a scrappy game .. we escaped some embarrassment comps of the ref, their goalie was pretty damned good and they got a late winner .. this sort of stuff happens ... no excuses, we weren’t good, or superior and unlucky  .. but “very poor” ? we certainly had more decent shots on target, Rotherham were gritty and organised, we worked hard but not well or with intelligence  .. pitch was garbage  .. draw would have been reasonable. Being mean spirited in the face of what’s been going on over the last 6-9 months doesn’t strike me as support ! 

9 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Right after that dry January is off and I’m having a Midas, who’s in? We’re going down aren’t we ?

18829873-3BA7-442B-B174-6CF722F4890B.jpeg

Goliath at the back, and a Midas up front we will be ok.

We'll end up signing a Mario Melchior though, won't we?

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Of course we’re in big trouble. Because of the games we played before Rooney took over. We were nearly cut adrift from the whole league. All I’m saying is those that continually say we don’t have the quality or Rooney isn’t the man IMO are wrong. The 9 games preceding this have proved we are good enough to get out of it. 

Today was a performance we haven’t seen since Rooney took over. If that sort of performance continues for the next 5-7 games then we will be cut adrift and we will be heading down. I refuse to just disregard the positives since Rooney took over due to today. 

I think we would all love for Rooney to guide us to safety and bring success to the club and I am sure that includes the little troublemaker @Nuwtfly too.

But today should be a wake up call to many about how difficult that will be to achieve for a manager with so little experience and a club in complete disarray off the pitch.

The way in which posters’ concerns over Rooney’s suitability for the job and concerns over the future of the club have been dismissed as ‘being negative’ ‘being a doom and gloom merchant’ or ‘being a bed wetter’ is starting to look very misguided.

Performances count for nothing in our situation. No-one will be patting Rooney on the back about these positive performances if we’re in League 1 come May.

Cocu left us in a mess, but if you cannot see how the poor running of the club and entrusting inexperienced coaches like Rooney and Rosenior with such responsibility is only adding to the mess, then I worry for you.

Under Rooney, we have failed to beat Wycombe, Coventry and Rotherham at home and Sheff Wed away. We have also dropped points at home to Stoke and Preston. These are the kind of results that could prove costly come the end of the season.

I don’t blame Rooney. He is doing the best he can with his limited experience. And of course he is going to back himself and believe in his ability to do this job, even if everything points to this job being too big for him at this time.

The concern for me is that no-one at the club saw sense, sat him down, and told him some home truths - a relegation fight is no place for a manager with your profile and you need to bide your time.

Instead, the club have given him a contract until 2023. So you can only assume the club are prepared for a potential relegation and reset in League 1 with Rooney at the helm. So really we have to hope he learns quickly but the signs are worrying.

16 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Hughton has only just got Forest going, his first run of matches, Forest were dropping lower and lower. Sometimes experience means nothing. In theory Cocu should have done a great job this season? Rooney has earned a chance. He doesn't have many options within this squad. Both Forsyth and Buchanan have done well mostly this season. 

Contextualised experience actually is a pretty good indicator of how someone is going to do even if it is not perfect. Cocu does not have experience of English second division football, he does have experience of Dutch first division football with arguably the second biggest club in Holland. That's a different kettle of fish. Yes Hughton has now got Forest going and they sit 8 points above us in the table now I believe? 

Not sure how Rooney has 'earned his chance' after 13 points from 9 games (now 13 in 10) after a bit of a bounce following the departure of Cocu whilst being an influential part of a failed backroom team that presided over this current debacle. Yes every manager is a risk but by that logic why not employ any one of us since it's all up for grabs. It's about taking a calculated risk and when someone has no experience in management that makes it a very big gamble, especially when you're sitting second bottom. Fans and I would say the club have been seduced by the name of Rooney, it's stupid and it'll sink us i think. 

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

This has been a problem with Rooneys tenure so far is just leaving subs till well past when they were needed and not utilising the 5 subs well enough.

Seriously? Maybe Sibley. But the bench is full of kids, inexperienced kids. You risk a worse outcome putting them on too soon. The game wasn't going well football wise, too many of them seemed unable to make a simple pass at various times. The experienced players needed to step up.

17 minutes ago, Rev said:

Goliath at the back, and a Midas up front we will be ok.

We'll end up signing a Mario Melchior though, won't we?

If he scores goals I’ll take him 

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but making Knight captain is a mistake. He’s still learning the game and placing that added pressure on his shoulders is the wrong move. 

I love Knight, but he was poor today, gave lots of silly free kicks away. Someone like Shinnie, Bielik, CKR would be better in my opinion. I don’t think a football captain has a major influence on performances, as you need leaders throughout the team, but it can place extra burden on players. Knight isn’t ready for that, yet. 

1 minute ago, enachops said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but making Knight captain is a mistake. He’s still learning the game and placing that added pressure on his shoulders is the wrong move. 

I love Knight, but he was poor today, gave lots of silly free kicks away. Someone like Shinnie, Bielik, CKR would be better in my opinion. I don’t think a football captain has a major influence on performances, as you need leaders throughout the team, but it can place extra burden on players. Knight isn’t ready for that, yet. 

CKR should have had it IMO

Experienced head and certainly comes over as somone who is happy to lead by example and take responsibility 

10 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

CKR should have had it IMO

Experienced head and certainly comes over as somone who is happy to lead by example and take responsibility 

Poor game today, not looked up to much recently - but then his stats would indicate this.

42 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I have to say, I quite like the honest assessment after a bad performance, however Paul Jewell did this on a regular basis and I am not entirely sure that ended too well. 

I agree but think you can say these sort of things if new players are coming in but can’t if your squad is not changeable so fingers crossed we get the 2-3 new faces we need 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Rubbish. He got a shot off. The way to goal was blocked by the defender to his left .. it wasn’t a bad effort and Joz was really good to pick him out, to score from that would have been miraculous  .. hey, it was a scrappy game with precious little football, we didn’t play well,  but having a pop at Waggy who put a decent shift in isn’t really cricket is it ? 

Sorry @jono but if you think that's a decent shift then you might be better off watching cricket instead. Time after time he failed to keep the ball up top. His passing failed time after time when going behind our players and quickly turning into positive Rotherham position.

The shot you mention was never on and he was never going to score from that angle, but if he was a clever footballer and was aware of his surroundings, Knight was free behind him with a clearer shot on goal. I've already mentioned his lack of pace to get to a ball to put a cross in, instead of the ball going out for a goal kick, in the first five minutes of the game showing his intent. And have already mentioned his lack of trying to close the Rotherham player down for at least a corner to defend, when the second ball came in for their goal.

The real sad thing is that Waggy will also probably come off the pitch thinking he's put in a decent shift also, and more worryingly is, if the coaching staff think he's put in a decent shift, then we should all be worried.

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Poor game today, not looked up to much recently - but then his stats would indicate this.

Did anyone have a good game today ?

im Not talking about measurable stats.

as a person, a character and his experience from what was in the field CKR would have been my choice

The captaincy was a lot to put on a young lad still finding his way into the game in a difficult time for the club 

Archived